Barnes 127g LRX

Addicting

Shot a mule deer and wanted to show the effects. Bullet entered mid ribs and exited the front shoulder. Deer went 15 yards and fell over. Pic is the exit shoulder hole untrimmed there was a 1.5” ish exit hole. Bullet impact was around 3000fps. There was blood between the meat and hide but as you can see very little meat loss.

IMG_2465.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 7
That is exactly why I use them exclusively. I had one failure of the original Barnes X 30 years ago, got the buck, but the rest have been that kind of performance.

What are y'all's groups with the LRX, particularly out of a 6.5 Creed? I've been a touch disappointed in my Tikka but they are certainly hunting accurate.

What are y'all's groups with the LRX, particularly out of a 6.5 Creed? I've been a touch disappointed in my Tikka but they are certainly hunting accurate.
I shoot a custom 260ai and the groups are posted on here somewhere. But it’s under a MOA gun with them. I shot out to 400 and had 3-3.5” groups.

I shoot a custom 260ai and the groups are posted on here somewhere. But it’s under a MOA gun with them. I shot out to 400 and had 3-3.5” groups.
I'm hanging just under MOA with an ES of 24fps over 10 rounds, so I can't be too upset, but I know that rifle can do significantly better. Definitely minute-of-deer-shoulder well past my comfortable shooting range.

I shot a cow this morning with the 175 lrx finger size hole through the near lung but took out the trachea and exited far shoulder. I dropped her off at processor but not a big blown hole on either side. She went maybe 20ft.

I shot a cow this morning with the 175 lrx finger size hole through the near lung but took out the trachea and exited far shoulder. I dropped her off at processor but not a big blown hole on either side. She went maybe 20ft.
Revival thread.
What caliber did you load the 175's in? I'm going to give them a try in .308 and .300 Win mag.

Revival thread.
What caliber did you load the 175's in? I'm going to give them a try in .308 and .300 Win mag.
If you are not a hand loader I highly suggest looking into the Choice Ammunition, they make hand loaded ammo available for the public although it is very expensive, but as far as i'm aware they are the only place online thats sells .308 WIN in 175 gr barnes LRX. I shot this bull 2 weeks ago with it @270yds, dropped him instantly.IMG_0139.jpeg

If you are not a hand loader I highly suggest looking into the Choice Ammunition, they make hand loaded ammo available for the public although it is very expensive, but as far as i'm aware they are the only place online thats sells .308 WIN in 175 gr barnes LRX. I shot this bull 2 weeks ago with it @270yds, dropped him instantly.View attachment 305151
I just kinda assumed that it read that I am hand loading.

Gotcha. I have loaded the 127 lrx in 6.5 forever. Most of my shots have been much closer than the lrx is needed for. I have some 175's due in tomorrow and was intending to load them in my .300 win mag then started thinking about loading them into .308 also.

I've shot six elk with 175 lrx out of my 300 win mag. 1"- 1 1/2" exits on all except one with very minimal meat damage. For some stupid reason I switched to 220 grain eld-x for my last four elk with only two exits ( six shots) and lead fragments everywhere and a lot of meat wasted. Average time of impact to time of death was pretty much the same for both kinds of bullets. I'll be switching back to lrx for future hunting as I hate throwing delicious meat away.

I've shot six elk with 175 lrx out of my 300 win mag. 1"- 1 1/2" exits on all except one with very minimal meat damage. For some stupid reason I switched to 220 grain eld-x for my last four elk with only two exits ( six shots) and lead fragments everywhere and a lot of meat wasted. Average time of impact to time of death was pretty much the same for both kinds of bullets. I'll be switching back to lrx for future hunting as I hate throwing delicious meat away.
I don't suppose you would share the Win mag load?

129LRX out of a .270 howa I couldn't get anything better than 2" @ 100 yards
53.2-55 gr H4350 in .2gr increments. 5 rounds each charge weight.
Most groups were 4" plus, apparently it's not a good combination for this particular rifle because the same rifle shoots factory SST's under 1/2"

I switched to Barnes years ago and haven't regretted it. I have not tried the LRX yet. I was considering them in my Seekins PH2 7mm Rem Mag or Hammer Hunters. My .308 loves 150gr TTSX and use it on everything from coyotes to elk. I load 120gr TTSX for my wife's 7mm-08 with great results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back