Rifle Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice for 2023

2024 choices are uncertain for sure at this point, but if I don't get any new barrels between now and fall/winter it's most likely a Tikka 243 with 103 or 109 ELD's with my 22BR/88 ELD combo as backup. The 243 barrel is still relatively unknown, so it'll have to behave first. However elk are big, so the bar is relatively low.

The Seekins 6 Creed is a decent package too, but I like my Tikka's better and I suspect the Seekins might be off getting a fresh barrel this fall.

Funny enough I've killed 8 bulls with a .243 (With the 95 Grain SST)...never lost a one. Farthest shot was 380 yards. My dad used to work/live in Alaska and that was the Inuit's "go to" cartridge. They even killed polar bears and muskox with them. Shot Placement, Shot Placement, Shot Placement.

Funny enough I've killed 8 bulls with a .243 (With the 95 Grain SST)...never lost a one. Farthest shot was 380 yards. My dad used to work/live in Alaska and that was the Inuit's "go to" cartridge. They even killed polar bears and muskox with them. Shot Placement, Shot Placement, Shot Placement.

That can’t be. Elk are damn near bullet proof

Well my ChatGPT told me this:

The use of .243 Winchester for hunting polar bears among the Inuit is not a common or advisable practice. Polar bears are large, powerful animals, and using a caliber like .243 Winchester, which is generally considered suitable for smaller game, raises ethical and practical concerns. Polar bears require more stopping power, and a larger caliber, such as .375 H&H Magnum, is recommended for such hunts. It is crucial to prioritize humane and effective methods to ensure the safety of both hunters and the animals involved.

The use of .243 Winchester for hunting polar bears among the Inuit is not a common or advisable practice. Polar bears are large, powerful animals, and using a caliber like .243 Winchester, which is generally considered suitable for smaller game, raises ethical and practical concerns. Polar bears require more stopping power, and a larger caliber, such as .375 H&H Magnum, is recommended for such hunts. It is crucial to prioritize humane and effective methods to ensure the safety of both hunters and the animals involved.
Just telling you what I know...not saying I'd choose that caliber to hunt polar bears but right between the ears would probably do the trick.

Fourth paragraph in...just an example

I recently built a 6.8 western. I might use it to shoot them in the neck instead of my Swede.

That's strange. I read one time where their go to cartridge was the 22 Hornet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back