Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rifle Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice for 2023

Whichever you shoot best. I'd look at your bullet selection, and less at the cartridge.
I got my first elk Oct 24 2022 with a 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Accubonds. I came away feeling like I was undergunned. Bought a Browning BLR and a Browning BAR this year, both in .300 win mag. Then I had the opportunity to pick up a Browning BAR in .338 win mag. I'm perplexed. I've got an outfitter lined up for next year and one PP bought in July. My hopes are up. I have a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 on both .300s, and I intend to buy a VX5 HD 2-10 with a firedot for the big hitter. I have to sight them all in. Ammo has been very hard to find for the big hitter. I only have 2 or 3 brands for it to try out. I have to see how they all shoot and the triggers on all 3. I also have a stainless Browning BLR I found this year in 7mm rem mag. But it has a Swarovski scope on it I absolutely hate. Just not very user friendly like the Leupold. It came with the rifle.

Which one should I bring? All 4??

I picked up a sweet LH Ruger M77 in .25-06 for mule deer and such. It should come in a week. I really think that the .25-06 is a much much better caliber than that 6.5 Creedmore. Just my personal opinion. It is such an under-appreciated caliber in the East.
338 win mag with 225 grain accubond or other 225 grain. Even with marginal shot placement (it happens to everyone) you have superior wound cavities and blood trail you can follow.

Two options, and a wild card.

Likely #1 - .300 PRC with HH 199 handload
#2 depending - .30-06 with HH 137 handloads

Wildcard - .300 RUM with HH 181 handloads.
Pulled the extra extra wild card this year...

6.5 PRC with 125 gr Hammer HHT with R26. Felt comfortable pre-season to 500+, ended up sneaking in on them and shot my cow at 80 yards in her bed while she chewed her cud. Did the trick quite nicely.

.300Wby Mag handloaded Hornady 200gr. ELD-X. I wanted to work up a load with a 200gr. Nosler Partition or AccuBond, but they proved almost impossible to find. This was my first time loading the ELD-X. I was very impressed with the accuracy and on game performance.
DSC_0135.2.16x9.JPG

I’m really liking my 6.8 western with 175 grain bullets. (1) cow elk, (1) bull elk, (1) pronghorn and (1) whitetail deer…. All 1 shot and none took a step. Shot a moose a few years ago with 338 win mag 225 grain and hit higher shoulder and flipped it almost backwards! Was crazy. First animal with 338 and was impressed with the power for sure

What I'm getting from all this is, it's the craftsman not the tool. Familiarity and skill is key. Great work and good shooting everyone!!

I know, I know, I know, another elk rifle piece. I wanted to log the first choice(and only choice) of the rifle caliber and bullet choice you plan to use on this year's rifle elk hunt. A limit of 400 yards is set. And what state will you be hunting in? So here I go:

35 Whelen using a hand loaded 225 gr Nosler AB, Hunting Colorado's 1st Rifle Season
300 win mag with 185gr berger bullets. Just my opinion

2023: Killed this OTC bull @265 yds with a 308 barnes 175 gr LRX, the bullet dropped him dead on the spot.IMG_0139.jpeg
2022: I had this 350” Nevada bull @100yds quartering at me for 3 mins with my finger on the trigger, I waited for a broadside shot but never got it before he spooked. I was using a Barnes 168 gr ttsx out of my 308.
Retrospectively that is my greatest hunting regret not pulling the trigger and it still haunts me to this day.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.png
    IMG_0280.png
    7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
2023: Killed this OTC bull @265 yds with a 308 barnes 175 gr LRX, the bullet dropped him dead on the spot.View attachment 306999
2022: I had this 350” Nevada bull @100yds quartering at me for 3 mins with my finger on the trigger, I waited for a broadside shot but never got it before he spooked. I was using a Barnes 168 gr ttsx out of my 308.
Retrospectively that is my greatest hunting regret not pulling the trigger and it still haunts me to this day.
Yes sir, I would of pulled the trigger, what a beauty.

This year was my Seekins Precision Ph2 in 300wm with a 200 grain terminal accent- Montana
To be fair, its my new rifle and I used it to shoot all my animals this year. Deer, antelope and elk.
NICE job on a productive season!!! I'll be picking up (2) Seekins in the same caliber later this week. Made in USA, great customer service along with a rock-solid warranty nudged me to becoming a new customer. Excited to try their products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back