Montana deer with 32-40

BuzzH

My Great Grandfather bought a Winchester 94 in 32-40 sometime around 1910 before he moved to Montana.

I shot a deer with it in the 90's but sort of quit shooting it due to lack of components and available ammo. Got lucky and snagged 200 brass this year, so figured I'd dust it off and see if it still worked.

Rifle was manufactured in 1907 according to the serial number. I have no idea where it was purchased for sure, but suspect Illinois before Great Grandpa moved to Montana.

Anyway, shot a doe with it at 50 yards, still works. Doe was slightly quartered toward me, hit just in front of the on shoulder, the 165 grain bullet exited about in the middle of the ribs on the off side. Went maybe 50 yards with an impressive blood trail.

Might have to shoot this thing a bit more, would be cool to try to kill a cow elk with it someday.

56031.jpeg

56030.jpeg

What a treasure to hunt with such an heirloom. I’ll have my dad’s bolt action Winchester M70 when he retires and I imagine the day where I bring that gun full circle.

That is awesome! Several years ago, my aunt gave me my uncle’s bolt action 32-20. It was the rifle my dad shot his first buck with. I had heard of the cartridge but I did not realize how small it was. I thought it was a 22 magnum when I first saw the rifle and magazine. I ended up shooting a buck with it within a couple hundred yards of where my dad got his. That was a pretty special deer.

Very nice ! My grandfather had a Winchester ‘94 in 32-40. Unfortunately, after he passed away, my grandmother sold his guns to a junk dealer. She didn’t think anyone would want them and didn’t want them in the house.

Awesome, Buzz. You did the family & the rifle right.

Our antlerless season runs in December. I'll see if I can get a bookend with my 94 sporting in 32-40.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back