PEAX Equipment

What caliber are you using to get pass through shots on elk

I’ve used a 340 Weatherby for over 20 years hunting elk and never once had to worry about whether or not the bullet would pass through. I don’t understand why people decide to mess around with the quest to find the minimum viable cartridge. Why are you purposefully getting as close to the line as possible of potentially losing a hit elk because you have too weak a cartridge and misjudged?

I’ve used a 340 Weatherby for over 20 years hunting elk and never once had to worry about whether or not the bullet would pass through. I don’t understand why people decide to mess around with the quest to find the minimum viable cartridge. Why are you purposefully getting as close to the line as possible of potentially losing a hit elk because you have too weak a cartridge and misjudged?
Probably because a 6.5 creed, 7-08, .308, etc are far easier to shoot accurately than something like a .340 Weatherby and plenty capable of killing elk.

I PRESUME the o.p. wants a blood trail for ease of ''tracking''
imho, I would prefer a decent projectile and an accurate shot to anchor my game right there.......I'm old and hate walking too far !!

REGULAR and constant practice....
Once someone has built sufficient shooting skills, they do not need to constantly practice with every rifle they take hunting. I’m not proposing that someone should learn how to consistently shoot accurately with a 340 Weatherby. I’m saying that people should use a sufficiently capable caliber to hunt elk without the need to debate the ballistics. I shoot the Weatherby twice prior to season to ensure zero is still solid and then shoot it once or twice (usually just once) each elk season. Practice with other calibers but hunt with enough gun. You don’t even feel the recoil during the hunt.

This debate has been raging on the 'slide the last while as well.

I'm firmly in the camp of shooting more and shooting smaller cartridges. I think I have a couple animals from the last few years that are a direct result of shooting my rifles a lot. I'm certainly not an expert, especially with elk, but I've seen a lot of really positive results from people I trust with this mindset. I personally want to shoot 150-200 rounds per year away from the bench with each of my rifles, and the more, the better.

I think most of us underestimate the effectiveness of certain modern bullets.

Once someone has built sufficient shooting skills, they do not need to constantly practice with every rifle they take hunting. I’m not proposing that someone should learn how to consistently shoot accurately with a 340 Weatherby. I’m saying that people should use a sufficiently capable caliber to hunt elk without the need to debate the ballistics. I shoot the Weatherby twice prior to season to ensure zero is still solid and then shoot it once or twice (usually just once) each elk season. Practice with other calibers but hunt with enough gun. You don’t even feel the recoil during the hunt.
Sound wisdom, no argument about shooting skill development. But it takes practice to develop those skills........as for enough gun, whats enough gun for ELK and at close range or 300+ yards??
some new or less experienced hunters COULD misunderstand enough gun simply meaning BIGGER IS BETTER...... A projectile for ,say a .340 weatherby for those long long flat land shots is not really ideal for those very close up shots in heavy timber.... There are so many variables .....I figure thats why so many use those different calibers, probably 'cause they simply work,year after year in the same location....be it across canyon shooting or in the thick stuff.
have a great day,

I'm firmly in the camp of shooting more and shooting smaller cartridges. I think I have a couple animals from the last few years that are a direct result of shooting my rifles a lot. I'm certainly not an expert, especially with elk, but I've seen a lot of really positive results from people I trust with this mindset. I personally want to shoot 150-200 rounds per year away from the bench with each of my rifles, and the more, the better.

I think most of us underestimate the effectiveness of certain vintage bullets as well.

I'll stick with my .45s or .38s. They are overkill as it is.

45-100-550-cart.jpg

I think most of us underestimate the effectiveness of certain vintage bullets as well.

I'll stick with my .45s or .38s. They are overkill as it is.

View attachment 261321(y)
Ah,paper patched . In British Columbia, the EXPERTS that make our ''game laws'' allow ANY CENTER-FIRE for anything except BISON !!! All of the old BUFFALO GUN calibers are considered under powered and are illegal to use !!!! tell that to the millions of'BUFF that died of LEAD POSIONING from the old guns.

How do you afford to do this?
I reload. It helps a lot to shoot one cartridge that takes around 42 gr of powder and one that takes 25. I like Bergers and TMK for hunting, but for positional practice I use Hornady 140gr BTHP in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 69 gr SMK in my 223, as they are a fair bit cheaper. It's also a cost I have come to accept to stay competent.
I try to buy in bulk when people aren't panic buying.

There is a fundamentally sound reason that our Army & Marines are required annual range time.

I've shot 2 antelope, 2 elk, and 1 deer with this set up. No pass thru's, but all but 1 antelope tipped over on the spot.

I like pass thru's with archery tackle, but I'd rather have a good mushroom with a slug.
How long of a shot was it for the Elk with the 6.5 ELDx? I have a Tikka 6.5 and am deciding on Ammo again as now we have more choices available. I was using the Interlok whitetails from Hornady but thinking of trying the ELD x, Sierra Game Changer and/or Federal terminal ascent.

Back