Caribou Gear

Which Caliber for Elk

Any of the calibers you have will put the biggest bulls down with proper shot placement. Pick the one you are most comfortable and accurate with ,use a good bullet and go bring home a trophy!!!!! I have seen 21 elk shot with a variety of cartridges from 6.5 up to 338 Lapua mag. Only two required a second shot and that was with the Lapua and a 7mm rem mag.. due to poor first shots. Thanks for your service and good luck!!!
Thank you. I actually got an accurate load worked out for my 308 with the help of the folks on here. 168 grain Accubond shooting sub .75 MOA. I had to cancel the hunt this year but I have an open invitation. My wife is fully disabled and I take care of her. Hard to find someone to stay with her she trusts. I will get there. Also, having the internal battle between that and a Ruger American I have in 6.5 Creedmoor. Dropped it in a Magpul stock and added a Timney trigger. I worked up a load with a 143 Norma Bondstrike and that rifle is a laser. I have not worked a load up it hasn't liked.
I do have a Tikka T3X Lite in layaway that I am dropping into an MDT Oryx chassis. It is not threaded, but I think the weight will soak up recoil.

Good input I have been given is go with a bonded bullet like a Nosler Accubond/Partition or Norma Bondstrike. If you hit bone with a softpoint, especially at high velocity, it could come apart without good penetration.
Ok thanks so much that was really helpful 🙏

But if you’re asking me, .270 is my go to when all else fails.
That's what I shoot, it's a great caliber. At some point I'd really like to add a 300 win mag to the armory but we'll see. So many wants so little money...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back