Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which Caliber for Elk

I shot the bull in my profile picture with the 143 eldx. Went right through both lungs and out the other side. Nowadays I’d go for the Hornady CX if I was looking at factory loads. I switched to those in my 3006 last year and they were devastating on the four animals shot with my rifle last year.
I got some 139 grain CX for the 7mm-08 to do some testing.

Thank you for serving our country. As some has already posted, I don't think you can't go wrong with the 308, I think even with reduced recoil loads, the 270 is another great choice. Whichever caliber you, I want to wish you success at harvesting an animal this season.

Thank you for serving our country. As some has already posted, I don't think you can't go wrong with the 308, I think even with reduced recoil loads, the 270 is another great choice. Whichever caliber you, I want to wish you success at harvesting an animal this season.
Thank you. I am hoping to get out and hunt. Dealing with medical issues and a disabled wife. I just keep saying, if it is in God's will.

James 4:13-15
13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”

I'd be all over 117 Hammers in your #1/270. That gun if it's a 1B is a hefty dude (I've had one for years) so I know but the weight will soak up the bump.

Load them to 2900-3K and your basically duping a Roberts which is a heck of good elk round when directed properly.

My guess is that you'll be hunting a ranch property and not public land so things will be more controlled than most elk hunts. (I've used a 22/250 a fair bit on similar hunts and it's not rocket science to take out a elk)

Thx for your service and best of luck to ya, please check back in when you're back home and let us know how it goes.

Side note, the 117 Hammer's shoot lights out for me with H4831)

I'd be all over 117 Hammers in your #1/270. That gun if it's a 1B is a hefty dude (I've had one for years) so I know but the weight will soak up the bump.

Load them to 2900-3K and your basically duping a Roberts which is a heck of good elk round when directed properly.

My guess is that you'll be hunting a ranch property and not public land so things will be more controlled than most elk hunts. (I've used a 22/250 a fair bit on similar hunts and it's not rocket science to take out a elk)

Thx for your service and best of luck to ya, please check back in when you're back home and let us know how it goes.

Side note, the 117 Hammer's shoot lights out for me with H4831)
No.1 is a sporter, so it is pretty light weight. I will definitely take a look at doing a load workup. Right now my CVA 308 Win is running the pack with a 165 Accubond.

I don't have any H4831 on hand. I will be testing some H4895 reduced loads. I already have a few in A5744 with the ABLR and the Barnes LRX 129 grain.

I did buy a 270 for this occasion. HOWA 1500. Had a muzzle brake on it and was comfortable with full loads. Problem is it averaged 5" groups. It is with Legacy under warranty right now.

Thank you.

Got some crazy groups today with the 143 grain Norma Bondstrike. Couple in the same hole. I have backup now.

I doubt your 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being to light. Simply choose the right bullet. In my 260 I'm going to try with 129gr Hornadys. But no though of using it on elk, getting to old to pack one out! Beside that I have a 6.5x55 and 6.5x06 using 140gr bullets and would choose one of them or my 30-06! In my 6.5x06 I used 140gr Hornadys and got three elk with three shots. What matters most is where you place your bullet's, makes all the difference in the world! The 140gr bullets completely penetrated on the shot behind the shoulder, what more could you ask.

Thing that keeps me away from premium bullet's is cost!

I doubt your 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being to light. Simply choose the right bullet. In my 260 I'm going to try with 129gr Hornadys. But no though of using it on elk, getting to old to pack one out! Beside that I have a 6.5x55 and 6.5x06 using 140gr bullets and would choose one of them or my 30-06! In my 6.5x06 I used 140gr Hornadys and got three elk with three shots. What matters most is where you place your bullet's, makes all the difference in the world! The 140gr bullets completely penetrated on the shot behind the shoulder, what more could you ask.

Thing that keeps me away from premium bullet's is cost!
Thank you for your wisdom. That is a seller right there.

The bullet I am using is a bonded tipped bullet by Norma. So, it would be for penetration. I got good groups out of my CVA Cascade as well, but not near this one. Cheapest gun I got shoot lights out over my more expensive ones.

CVA Cascade 6.5 CM Norma 143 Bondstrike.jpg

I have a chance, Lord willing, to do a disabled veteran elk hunt in WY this year. I have some issues with recoil due to disabilities. I have a Ruger No.1 in 270, but I can only shoot reduced recoil loads. I also have a 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and several 308s. All have muzzle brakes, so I can shoot them pretty well. What do you think about calibers and bullet selection? Right now I am working up loads for the 308 with a 165 grain Accubond. I know Barnes bullets are a go to as well.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being too light, but I would really keep any shots to 300 yards. I know there are a lot of 7mm-08 fans. Arsenal below...

308 - CVA Cascade, Christensen Mesa, SIG Cross. The CVA is the most accurate out of those.
7mm-08 - CVA Cascade
6.5 Creedmoor - CVA Cascade
270 Win - Ruger No. 1, HOWA 1500 (Sent back to factory. Could not shoot under 5" groups)

Yes, I like my Cascades. They are tack drivers.

I've never gone elk hunting, but I would if I had the opportunity to do so. But Elk and deer are thinned skin game and I think shot placement more important than caliber. If you can accurately shoot a 6.5 CM with 147 grain Hornady Match ammo - I'd go with that. If you are able to add a suppressor to the 6.5 CM the recoil will be very light. I wish you well - take care!

Thank you for your wisdom. That is a seller right there.

The bullet I am using is a bonded tipped bullet by Norma. So, it would be for penetration. I got good groups out of my CVA Cascade as well, but not near this one. Cheapest gun I got shoot lights out over my more expensive ones.

View attachment 270765
Ain't that the wayit goes? Best shooting rifle I ever had was a 788 Remington!

Thinking you mentioned you had to load down the 308 to handle it, might be wrong. But if that's it, I'd give a look at the 6.5 Creedmoore you have with say a 140gr or maybe even 130gr bullet. Dropping down like that might keep you from having to load down. I used a 140gr Hornady in my 6.5x06 to kill three elk all one shot kills. Dropping to the Creedmoor and 130gr bullet might reduce recoil a good bit! Then shot placement becomes more critical but don't think it put's the Creedmoor out of it. I have yhe 6.5x06, 6.5x55 and a 260 on the way. First two I shoot 140gr bullet's in and using either on an elk wouldn't slow me down at all. 260 on the way I'm looking to use 129gr Hornadys in and wouldn't bother me one bit to use it on elk either! But I would limit my range to 200yds and even then how accurate the rifle might be will tell me which shot I want. Lot of people shoot elk with a 243 and do fine with it, of course some blow it too. But then people shooting 300 mags manage to blow it now and then too!

If that Creedmoore will go under an inch or even right at, that would be my choice.

Thinking you mentioned you had to load down the 308 to handle it, might be wrong. But if that's it, I'd give a look at the 6.5 Creedmoore you have with say a 140gr or maybe even 130gr bullet. Dropping down like that might keep you from having to load down. I used a 140gr Hornady in my 6.5x06 to kill three elk all one shot kills. Dropping to the Creedmoor and 130gr bullet might reduce recoil a good bit! Then shot placement becomes more critical but don't think it put's the Creedmoor out of it. I have yhe 6.5x06, 6.5x55 and a 260 on the way. First two I shoot 140gr bullet's in and using either on an elk wouldn't slow me down at all. 260 on the way I'm looking to use 129gr Hornadys in and wouldn't bother me one bit to use it on elk either! But I would limit my range to 200yds and even then how accurate the rifle might be will tell me which shot I want. Lot of people shoot elk with a 243 and do fine with it, of course some blow it too. But then people shooting 300 mags manage to blow it now and then too!

If that Creedmoore will go under an inch or even right at, that would be my choice.
Don, I don't load the 308 down too far. My loads are pushing a 165 grain Accubond at about 2700 fps. In my CVA, which fits me very well, the recoil is easily manageable with a muzzle brake. It is shooting sub 1/2 inch groups. I also have a Ruger American shooting the same type groups with a 143 grain Norma Bondstrike at about 2600. It is in a Magpul Hunter stock and I installed a Timney trigger. It is a heavier rifle.

With that, the 308 is what I will be taking. Pushing a heavier bullet at higher velocity, although I could probably load the Creedmoor hotter.

Thank you for the information.

IF you reload get yourself some Hammer bullets and load them in either your 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you don't reload go with either the 308 or 6.5 in a barnes bullet. I suggest Hammers as they can usually be loaded a little hotter, to higher velocities and you can even drop down a little in weight from a lead bullet so in effect further increase velocity. The hammers give extreme penetration. Also, yes, keep shots under 300 yards and under 200 if possible. Best of luck to ya.

IF you reload get yourself some Hammer bullets and load them in either your 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you don't reload go with either the 308 or 6.5 in a barnes bullet. I suggest Hammers as they can usually be loaded a little hotter, to higher velocities and you can even drop down a little in weight from a lead bullet so in effect further increase velocity. The hammers give extreme penetration. Also, yes, keep shots under 300 yards and under 200 if possible. Best of luck to ya.
I actually have some Hammers in 6.5. Just have not loaded any yet. Thanks for the info.

Ugh.

I’ve shot a few elk with a 257 Roberts and saw a few others killed with it. It will kill elk but it’s not the best choice.

If I had a choice, I’d want more rifle in my hand shooting at elk.

A quick efficient kill should always be the right choice.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back