Which Caliber for Elk

Appreciate everyone's help. I tested my 308 loads today. Several promising and one outstanding.

CVA Cascade 308. 130 grain TTSX. 47 grains Varget. Avg 2964 fps.
View attachment 269159

Sig Cross 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Could not get velocity due to chrono not fitting due to rail.
View attachment 269160

Saving the best for last. CVA Cascade 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Avg 2664 fps.
View attachment 269162
Anyone of those loads is a dead elk.

Anyone of those loads is a dead elk.
Thank you sir. I did it with everyone's help. But hey, not another "what caliber" thread, right?

One note. That CVA Cascade in 308 is absolutely the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It has always shot good groups.

Last edited:
Appreciate everyone's help. I tested my 308 loads today. Several promising and one outstanding.

CVA Cascade 308. 130 grain TTSX. 47 grains Varget. Avg 2964 fps.
View attachment 269159

Sig Cross 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Could not get velocity due to chrono not fitting due to rail.
View attachment 269160

Saving the best for last. CVA Cascade 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Avg 2664 fps.
View attachment 269162
Your load of 43.5 of Varget is way under loaded with 165 AB you should be at 45.5 to 46.0 in 308 win

Your load of 43.5 of Varget is way under loaded with 165 AB you should be at 45.5 to 46.0 in 308
All of my loads are on the low to mid range. I look for a balance between accuracy and recoil, as I am disabled and cannot handle higher recoil. My maximum range is 300 yards for shooting an elk. At 300 yards, this gives me 2190 fps, 1757 ft lbs of energy and shooting an 8 inch area, a MPBR of 300. So, while I could get more, with the accuracy I achieved and the recoil being manageable, I am good. I appreciate your input.

I did order some 6.5 CR Norma 143 Bond Tips to give them a try. The factory ammo has always done me well. Just like to have more options. Well, and play around some. Might carry the 308 for elk and 6.5 for antelope. I have some 125 grain Nosler Partitions in 6.5 CR that I have not tested yet.

After that Meateater video, I am having trouble trusting non-bonded or copper bullets. I am trying to watch as many ballistic test videos as I can. Recently watched one where a 6.5CR SST held together very well but the Sierra Gameking literally turned into shrapnel.

I did order some 6.5 CR Norma 143 Bond Tips to give them a try. The factory ammo has always done me well. Just like to have more options. Well, and play around some. Might carry the 308 for elk and 6.5 for antelope. I have some 125 grain Nosler Partitions in 6.5 CR that I have not tested yet.

After that Meateater video, I am having trouble trusting non-bonded or copper bullets. I am trying to watch as many ballistic test videos as I can. Recently watched one where a 6.5CR SST held together very well but the Sierra Gameking literally turned into shrapnel.
Load that Accubond load and go elk hunting. mtmuley

Load that Accubond load and go elk hunting. mtmuley
That's the plan, sir. I still want a good load dialed in for the 6.5. Funny, I did find a habit I had shooting that I think was causing accuracy issues. I need to go back and reshoot some loads. Was resting my hand on the side of the front rest.

A lot of animals have died from copper bullets. All you need is adequate velocity for expansion and proper shot placement.
I got a good load for the 130 TTSX from a Sig Cross. And that sucker is screaming at nearly 3000fps.

I know people may tire of the "what caliber" threads, but it's actually quite helpful to us newbies who want to make sure we are bringing the right tool (or at least an acceptable one) to the table...

I know people may tire of the "what caliber" threads, but it's actually quite helpful to us newbies who want to make sure we are bringing the right tool (or at least an acceptable one) to the table...
Well said. Goig through the thread for everyone's elk setup. Very good and interesting information.

I have a chance, Lord willing, to do a disabled veteran elk hunt in WY this year. I have some issues with recoil due to disabilities. I have a Ruger No.1 in 270, but I can only shoot reduced recoil loads. I also have a 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and several 308s. All have muzzle brakes, so I can shoot them pretty well. What do you think about calibers and bullet selection? Right now I am working up loads for the 308 with a 165 grain Accubond. I know Barnes bullets are a go to as well.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being too light, but I would really keep any shots to 300 yards. I know there are a lot of 7mm-08 fans. Arsenal below...

308 - CVA Cascade, Christensen Mesa, SIG Cross. The CVA is the most accurate out of those.
7mm-08 - CVA Cascade
6.5 Creedmoor - CVA Cascade
270 Win - Ruger No. 1, HOWA 1500 (Sent back to factory. Could not shoot under 5" groups)

Yes, I like my Cascades. They are tack drivers.

Congrats on the potential opportunity to hunt elk in Wyoming! Take either the 7mm-08, 6.5 Creed, or a 308 and you'll be golden. My personal vote is the 7mm-08, it's just such a sweet caliber and punches well above what the ballistic charts show. Best of luck on the hunt, and please come back and share the story with us here!

Congrats on the potential opportunity to hunt elk in Wyoming! Take either the 7mm-08, 6.5 Creed, or a 308 and you'll be golden. My personal vote is the 7mm-08, it's just such a sweet caliber and punches well above what the ballistic charts show. Best of luck on the hunt, and please come back and share the story with us here!
Thank you. I actually have done little with the 7mm-08 since I got it. Shot some factory ammo through it to get it sighted in. It's a CVA Cascade. I put a pretty crappy paint job on it. Haha.

Attachments

• 7MM-08 Paint Job.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 14
I saw two shot with the 143 ELDX, neither had an exit hole. One was recovered the next day by smell and one was never recovered.

The one recovered went thru the top half of both lungs and was just a bruise on the far side ribs. There was zero blood trail and it went about 100 yards over a hill.
I shot the bull in my profile picture with the 143 eldx. Went right through both lungs and out the other side. Nowadays I’d go for the Hornady CX if I was looking at factory loads. I switched to those in my 3006 last year and they were devastating on the four animals shot with my rifle last year.

Just got in my Hammer 124 grain and Norma Bondstrike 143 grain 6.5 bullets. Time to get some brass prepped.

308 is top of the leader board and will be hard to beat. Could call it a day, but keeps my mind busy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back