Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which Caliber for Elk

I believe , Sir, that any of those calibers will do just fine, recoil permitting! I would not over think it, just enjoy the hunt! If it is any consolation most of my elk during rifle season were with a Marlin 30/30 iron sights. Go have some fun!

I saw two shot with the 143 ELDX, neither had an exit hole. One was recovered the next day by smell and one was never recovered.

The one recovered went thru the top half of both lungs and was just a bruise on the far side ribs. There was zero blood trail and it went about 100 yards over a hill.
I’ve seen 3 cows and a small bull shot with them. Farthest any went was 30 yard stumble. Two cows and the bull were shot twice although it wasn’t needed. One cow was shot once and stumbled 5 yards and fell. Funny creatures. Exit holes aren’t something I worry about. I’d rather them look like they swallowed a grenade. Probably why I’m a Berger fan.

I’ve seen 3 cows and a small bull shot with them. Farthest any went was 30 yard stumble. Two cows and the bull were shot twice although it wasn’t needed. One cow was shot once and stumbled 5 yards and fell. Funny creatures. Exit holes aren’t something I worry about. I’d rather them look like they swallowed a grenade. Probably why I’m a Berger fan.
The lack of blood and thick timber were not a good combo. I think had they been in the more open it would have had better results.

The lack of blood and thick timber were not a good combo. I think had they been in the more open it would have had better results.
I watched a cow soak up a 200 grain accubond from a 300 rum and go 70 yards. The next cow I think took 3 before she decided to fall.

I don't have any Berger bullets.
They’re cheaper than Nosler, more accurate if you rifle is accurate enough to show the difference, and personally I prefer them on game. Not everyone does. @brockel has had very good luck with them on quite a few elk.

They’re cheaper than Nosler, more accurate if you rifle is accurate enough to show the difference, and personally I prefer them on game. Not everyone does. @brockel has had very good luck with them on quite a few elk.
I only get Nosler factory seconds. They are about half the price. I have so many bullets right now. I probably need to test what I got.

I only get Nosler factory seconds. They are about half the price. I have so many bullets right now. I probably need to test what I got.
Bergers would be roughly the same price as Nosler seconds, but the Bergers wouldn’t be seconds. Buy a box of 140 Elite hunters, seat to any reasonable COAL, and there’s no need to test anything but powder charge. You won’t be able to improve upon the accuracy of that with anything you try. The VLDs sometimes require that you find a good seating depth, but the Elite Hunters are not picky.

Personally I agree with @brockel when it comes to what I look for in a bullet. I’ve taken 16 animals with Bergers and only 3 took more than one step. Two of those three were gut shot. The first gut shot animal was an elk that bedded within 50yds, and let me get within 20’ for a follow up. The second gut shot animal was a pronghorn that laid down where he was shot and stood up when I got within 50yds of him. The only animal that ran and wasn’t gut shot ran 20yds or less. It’s the only animal I shot with a 156 EOL. The other 13 died instantly. Maybe one step, maybe zero. With my 6.5mm I could see all the impacts in the scope. Since upping to 28 and 30 cal the last two years, I literally thought I missed because the animals have been dead and on the ground before I’ve come out of recoil. Bang/“where’d he go?” with two cow elk, two mule deer, a whitetail doe and hog.

The Noslers will work just fine though. Unless you hit the bone in the shoulder it will probably run in a healthy looking fashion, but you should have a good blood trail, and it likely won’t go too far. Similar is usually said of any of the “controlled expansion” type of bullets. I’ve killed six deer with Noslers and been witness to three. The only one that didn’t run or remain standing for follow up shots, was shot through both shoulders. They all died just fine.

By all means, use something else if something else makes you more comfortable. Just don’t let buying Nosler seconds because they’re cheap keep you from trying Berger. Nosler seconds aren’t cheap. 140AB seconds are $64/100 and they’re not always available. Berger 140 EH are $64/100, more accurate, not seconds, and widely available from anywhere at anytime.

Last edited:
I watched a cow soak up a 200 grain accubond from a 300 rum and go 70 yards. The next cow I think took 3 before she decided to fall.
Classic example of bullets being bullets. Never had that happen and my sample size is way bigger. This thread is getting way too complicated. And now the Berger is best fan. And not talking about you brockel. mtmuley

Classic example of bullets being bullets. Never had that happen and my sample size is way bigger. This thread is getting way too complicated. And now the Berger is best fan. And not talking about you brockel. mtmuley
I’ve only seen 5 shot with that rum combo but all have been about the same reactions. Odd things for sure

I’ve only seen 5 shot with that rum combo but all have been about the same reactions. Odd things for sure
I've killed 4 times that many elk with the combo. None went very far. One bull at 42 yards. Dumped him on the spot. If one was going to run, it would have been that one. mtmuley

I prefer Bergers. So do other people. I recommended the OP consider 6.5mm Hammers if an all copper interested him. I have nothing against Nosler and said both versions of the AB should work just fine. I did point out that Nosler seconds are not cheaper than Berger firsts when the OP mentioned buying mostly Nosler seconds because they were half price, but I had already pointed toward both Noslers and Hammers earlier in the thread.

You push Hammers and you’re good friends with the owner.

Which one of us is more likely to be biased?

Bergers would be roughly the same price as Nosler seconds, but the Bergers wouldn’t be seconds. Buy a box of 140 Elite hunters, seat to any reasonable COAL, and there’s no need to test anything but powder charge. You won’t be able to improve upon the accuracy of that with anything you try. The VLDs sometimes require that you find a good seating depth, but the Elite Hunters are not picky.

Personally I agree with @brockel when it comes to what I look for in a bullet. I’ve taken 16 animals with Bergers and only 3 took more than one step. Two of those three were gut shot. The first gut shot animal was an elk that bedded within 50yds, and let me get within 20’ for a follow up. The second gut shot animal was a pronghorn that laid down where he was shot and stood up when I got within 50yds of him. The only animal that ran and wasn’t gut shot ran 20yds or less. It’s the only animal I shot with a 156 EOL. The other 13 died instantly. Maybe one step, maybe zero. With my 6.5mm I could see all the impacts in the scope. Since upping to 28 and 30 cal the last two years, I literally thought I missed because the animals have been dead and on the ground before I’ve come out of recoil. Bang/“where’d he go?” with two cow elk, two mule deer, a whitetail doe and hog.

The Noslers will work just fine though. Unless you hit the bone in the shoulder it will probably run in a healthy looking fashion, but you should have a good blood trail, and it likely won’t go too far. Similar is usually said of any of the “controlled expansion” type of bullets. I’ve killed six deer with Noslers and been witness to three. The only one that didn’t run or remain standing for follow up shots, was shot through both shoulders. They all died just fine.

By all means, use something else if something else makes you more comfortable. Just don’t let buying Nosler seconds because they’re cheap keep you from trying Berger. Nosler seconds aren’t cheap. 140AB seconds are $64/100 and they’re not always available. Berger 140 EH are $64/100, more accurate, not seconds, and widely available from anywhere at anytime.
You sold me! I will order some Elite Hunters.

I prefer Bergers. So do other people. I recommended the OP consider 6.5mm Hammers if an all copper interested him. I have nothing against Nosler and said both versions of the AB should work just fine. I did point out that Nosler seconds are not cheaper than Berger firsts when the OP mentioned buying mostly Nosler seconds because they were half price, but I had already pointed toward both Noslers and Hammers earlier in the thread.

You push Hammers and you’re good friends with the owner.

Which one of us is more likely to be biased?
I will be getting Hammers and Bergers to try. I had my mind made up on the 308, but I will be testing the 6.5.

The meateater video last year is pretty nformative comparing the copper, bonded, and cup n core (berger) bullet in 6.5CM at different distances (500, 300 and 140 yds).

Comes down to your bullet preference. either frag grenade inside, or mushroom and (maybe) exit.

I will be getting Hammers and Bergers to try. I had my mind made up on the 308, but I will be testing the 6.5.
I think you’ll be pleased with both, and while I haven’t shot any, Hammers have a reputation for being very accurate.

Well, no Berger Elite Hunters that I can find in 6.5 CR.

Looks like the Shock Hammer would be the best choice for elk. What grain? I have always heard go lighter with copper bullets than you would normally with standard cup and core. 130 gr?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back