Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Which Caliber for Elk

Then just use your 6.5 CM with either 120 TTSX or 127 LRX. I have used that combination to kill 5 elk, though the longest shot was 140 yds on a 360 bull in Wyoming.
What range would have been your limit with that setup?

Definitely looking at that. Going to give them a call after work on load data.
I wouldn’t hesitate to look into 6.5mm Hammers either if that’s the route you want to take. I’m not sure how heavy you can go with a factory twist. I wouldn’t want to go too terribly light.

What range would have been your limit with that setup?
As far as I would shoot at an animal, 3-400 yds. I much prefer to get as close as possible and I hunt the timber. Pretty cool to sneak up on a bedded bull at less than 60 yards. Killed a bull one time at 10 yards, that was with a 338 WM.

l would go with the 270 or the 308. leaning toward the 270 with a good bonded or mono metal bullet.

As far as I would shoot at an animal, 3-400 yds. I much prefer to get as close as possible and I hunt the timber. Pretty cool to sneak up on a bedded bull at less than 60 yards. Killed a bull one time at 10 yards, that was with a 338 WM.
My hunt will be a bit different being disabled. I don;t get around the woods like I did in my younger days.

I wouldn’t hesitate to look into 6.5mm Hammers either if that’s the route you want to take. I’m not sure how heavy you can go with a factory twist. I wouldn’t want to go too terribly light.
I am also looking at the Lehigh controlled chaos. 80% weight retention.

I am also testing some 142 grain Nosler ABLRs this weekend for 6.5 CR.

I have some 130 grain Speer CorBon for my 7mm-08. Not sure if that would be an acceptable round. Just planning on testing as much as I can and taking what is most accurate. I have more 308 than anything.

Then just use your 6.5 CM with either 120 TTSX or 127 LRX. I have used that combination to kill 5 elk, though the longest shot was 140 yds on a 360 bull in Wyoming.
You might consider the Hornady CX bullet, too. For your CM, they make a 120gr. It is available as a round in their Superformance and Outfitter lines as well, so you can evaluate their performance data to gain another perspective. You can buy the bullets to hand-load, too.

As others have said, thank you for your service. I'm pulling for you to make the hunt and be successful - with a ton of great memories when you're done and home.

You might consider the Hornady CX bullet, too. For your CM, they make a 120gr. It is available as a round in their Superformance and Outfitter lines as well, so you can evaluate their performance data to gain another perspective. You can buy the bullets to hand-load, too.

As others have said, thank you for your service. I'm pulling for you to make the hunt and be successful - with a ton of great memories when you're done and home.
Thank you. Yeah, this is a hunt that my son and I wanted to do but he passed away in 2021, so it is for him as well. He would want me to do this. Just wish he was here to go with me.

I am also looking at the Lehigh controlled chaos. 80% weight retention.

I am also testing some 142 grain Nosler ABLRs this weekend for 6.5 CR.
I would think the 142gr ABLR or 140 AB would both be excellent choices. I don’t know anything about the Lehigh.

I would think the 142gr ABLR or 140 AB would both be excellent choices. I don’t know anything about the Lehigh.
I am hoping for good tests this weekend. I have 2 CVAs in 308 and 6.5CR that are very accurate with Norma Whitetail. Hoping they like my elk loads.

Haven't gotten any of the 140ABs. I buy factory seconds in everything. Hopefully they will come available. They are about half the price.

If I was packing the 6.5 creedmoor I’d be shooting 143 eldx or 140 grain Berger vld hunting. Creedmoor velocities are very easy on bullets and that eldx is going to perform great at that velocity. Hell maybe I’ll do that myself this year

If I was packing the 6.5 creedmoor I’d be shooting 143 eldx or 140 grain Berger vld hunting. Creedmoor velocities are very easy on bullets and that eldx is going to perform great at that velocity. Hell maybe I’ll do that myself this year
I don't have any Berger bullets.

I bet the Sierra 140 TGK would be a killer in the 6.5 as well. I’d shoot elk with that combo.

I saw two shot with the 143 ELDX, neither had an exit hole. One was recovered the next day by smell and one was never recovered.

The one recovered went thru the top half of both lungs and was just a bruise on the far side ribs. There was zero blood trail and it went about 100 yards over a hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back