Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which Caliber for Elk

If you consider using hammers go to their website forum. Often you will find load data there for the caliber of your choice as well as information with loading them for specific game. It's a great website that's not overwhelmingly large and folks there will be quick to answer any questions you have.

Of the choices offered, the 6.5 in the Swedish Mauser round, which is very similar in performance to the Creedmore, has probably killed more Moose for a longer period of time than any of the others. So with the right bullets, i would assess that as supremely capable. The 308 is obviously a capable round shooting heavy bullets. Wish I had a nickel for very elk killed with a 270 Winchester. While you say you are sensitive to recoil, you still list the number 1 in 270 which is similar to shooting a broomstick with all the recoil directed straight back into your shoulder. So of the capable calibers, choose the one you like the best and shoot the best and practice with it at ranges up to about 300 meters.

Thank you for your service!
As to reducing recoil, why not have a gunsmith cut threads onto the barrel and add a muzzle break? I’ve killed plenty of elk with ear plugs or muffs on. If your being sneaky and have time the extra seconds to add ear protection is manageable. A little ring can cover the threads if you later decide you don’t need it anymore.

Thank you for your service!
As to reducing recoil, why not have a gunsmith cut threads onto the barrel and add a muzzle break? I’ve killed plenty of elk with ear plugs or muffs on. If your being sneaky and have time the extra seconds to add ear protection is manageable. A little ring can cover the threads if you later decide you don’t need it anymore.
I was going to, but it was going to be a mess with the size of the barrel and I decided not to mess with it. I put it on GunBroker. I am waiting on a HOWA 1500 to come back from Legacy for warranty work to see how it shoots. If it still is not grouping, I plan on selling it and getting a 270 with a threaded barrel.

Last edited:
I was going to, but it was going to be a mess with the size of the barrel and I decided not to mess with it. I put it on GunBroker. I am waiting on a HOWA 1500 to come back from Legacy for warranty work to see how it shoots. If it still is not grouping, I plan on selling it and getting a 270 with a threaded barrel.

I've killed three elk with one shot each with my 6.5x06 and 140gr Hornady SP. Also have a 6.5x55 and a 260 Rem on the way and wouldn't phase me to use either with a 140 gr bullet. probably a 130gr placed right would work very well also but that I haven't even tried.

I suggest the 270 with a 110 barnes TTSX, 250 yards max range. I load that and get 3250 fps, dumped a mule deer buck and a cow elk like lightning with full penetration, and recoil is definitely lighter than a 165 .308

I suggest the 270 with a 110 barnes TTSX, 250 yards max range. I load that and get 3250 fps, dumped a mule deer buck and a cow elk like lightning with full penetration, and recoil is definitely lighter than a 165 .308
I have the HOWA 1500 I am hoping to get back soon. It has a brake and I can shoot closer to full loads on it. Only issue is can they fix the accuracy issues. If so, I will do some load development. If it is still shooting crap, I am going to sell and get a Weatherby First Lite in 270 Win. I just have to have a muzzle device, brake or suppressor (ordering a suppressor after I get the checks for the rifles I am selling on GunBroker).

I am liking the 129 grain LRX. However, I worked up reduced recoil loads for my No. 1. I was getting about 2700 fps with A5744 and it was comfortable to shoot. Accuracy was ho-hum, so I need to play with seating depth.

Right now the CVA with the 168 grain Accubond is a nail driver.

Biggest question is, will I be able to get away to hunt. I have about a month to get that decided.

Well, you don't have to join in. Having disabilities I am limited. Never rifle hunted for elk. So, I appreciate people's opinions who have experience.
The 308 win with 165/180 bullets
The 270 Win with 140/150 bullets
Probably the 2 most for you and limit your shots under 300 yards

Limiting shots to 250-300 yards in the West is a big handicap. With bull elk success rates hovering between 12-18%, 20% on some special units, I’d want to eliminate as many handicaps as I could to be a teener.

My last three elk kill shots have been 100, 330 and 600. If I go back a little farther I have a few in the 400 yard range.

If I limited myself to 300 yards or less, I don’t shoot at half of my elk kills.

The right rifle, caliber and a little practice most elk hunters should be able to shoot 400 yards competently.

Limiting shots to 250-300 yards in the West is a big handicap. With bull elk success rates hovering between 12-18%, 20% on some special units, I’d want to eliminate as many handicaps as I could to be a teener.

My last three elk kill shots have been 100, 330 and 600. If I go back a little farther I have a few in the 400 yard range.

If I limited myself to 300 yards or less, I don’t shoot at half of my elk kills.

The right rifle, caliber and a little practice most elk hunters should be able to shoot 400 yards competently.
Well, I am handicapped, so it's a handicap.

Go buy a completely new caliber gun that will do the same thing as any of your current ones.
Haha. Oh man, I have I done that to the teeth. I actually had my HOWA 270, which would be an elk rifle, sent back to HOWA because it would not group. 5 months after I sent it they finally shoot it and say, "Hey, it doesn't group. We need to send you a new rifle, but we have no 270s." So, long story short, they are sending me a 6.5 PRC. Fantastic round from what I have read. However, I would need new dies, powders, brass etc. So, still waiting for them to build and send and I am immediately trading it for a Tikka 270 Win.

Any of the calibers you have will put the biggest bulls down with proper shot placement. Pick the one you are most comfortable and accurate with ,use a good bullet and go bring home a trophy!!!!! I have seen 21 elk shot with a variety of cartridges from 6.5 up to 338 Lapua mag. Only two required a second shot and that was with the Lapua and a 7mm rem mag.. due to poor first shots. Thanks for your service and good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back