Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk 5 miles from truck...

Shoot enough to make the trip worthwhile...

1429078640565.jpg

The orange sled from Robs' post is exactly the same sled I have used - in fact of the several sleds I have used it is the only one to work reasonably well and survive more than one trip. The shorter wider sleds get hung up too much and have a lot more drag.

Nah, 32 flipp'n pounds and too wide. Here you go:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1443984&KPID=1242457&pla=pla_1242457

$41.99 and after all the critters I've hauled out on snow and dry ground it is still in perfect shape.

Yep. I have the exact same one and I've also used the Ottersled. The low profile and flexibility of the orange one makes it a way better choice.

We've hauled out three bulls on ours, and all four quarters stack nicely on there. With the Grommets and some p-cord you can get it very secure on there.

That said, you NEED to be pointed downhill for it to be better than packing. We tried dragging my deer this year up a gradual slope with the orange sled, and made it maybe 200 yards before we stopped, chopped it up and put it on our backs.

2015-11-17%2010.10.28_zpswrr1rodq.jpg

download%201_zpsshlk0exd.jpg

We use these sleds a lot. Here is my 14 year old son, this year with his Mulie. he shot it just under 4 miles in and he was able to pull it most of the way himself. It is all about the conditions when it comes to sleds. The neetkart is great also, if a sled will not work.

Attachments

• 2015 hunting 041 (480x640).jpg
    2015 hunting 041 (480x640).jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,118
You need : 1 truck, 1 rack, 3 llamas, 4 chains...

Followed by 1 day busting trail/yer ass:

Problem is resolved and they never tell a soul...

As you already found out sidehills and dragging simply do not work, you have to shoulder the load or rent some animals to do it for you under the specific conditions you describe. rentallama.com is a great place to get started.

Forgot to say, from me you will be less than $200 for one very hard days work (One day rental of 3 llamas /1 rack)

Last edited:
Yep. I have the exact same one and I've also used the Ottersled. The low profile and flexibility of the orange one makes it a way better choice.

We've hauled out three bulls on ours, and all four quarters stack nicely on there. With the Grommets and some p-cord you can get it very secure on there.

That said, you NEED to be pointed downhill for it to be better than packing. We tried dragging my deer this year up a gradual slope with the orange sled, and made it maybe 200 yards before we stopped, chopped it up and put it on our backs.

download%201_zpsshlk0exd.jpg

One thing I have found that works better than pulling is to cut a stick long enough that you and a partner can place the stick in front of you resting on your hips, between belly button and man parts. Then you push your sled out rather than dragging it. Much more efficient and saves a lot of energy.

This wouldn't work for 5 miles but if it's mostly downhill and snowy, I've taken both hind quarters off a cow elk and left the hair on. Then tie them together so the rope goes around your waist and drag them out, hair down. No meat damage and fairly simple (like I said, if it's downhill). With a backpack you can easily get a cow out in 2 trips with this method.

The things make great drip trays too... just slide them in the car.

This one looked cold so my wife brought it inside
sIMG_4101.jpg

Two elk in my explorer:
sIMG_0234.jpg

Deer:
sIMG_3955.jpg

It works on dry ground (but like Randy I'd rather pack it if I don't want it whole). My wife got this deer and called me from work to drag it out. You can fit two deer in a Prius on these sleds, but it is still embarrassing to go hunting in a Prius.
sIMG_1440.jpg

I use the same sleds as Rob G, but will use bungy cords across the side rope handles to hold carcasses in place incase the terrain gets sketchy... I also have used a wooden board across the torso to push the sled instead of pulling it with my hands. I don't have a pickup, so the sled keeps whatever blood and guts that might still be in the deer, inside the sled and not on the carpet.

PS - I've used a Dodge Grand Caravan for many deer hunting trips, so don't feel bad about using a Prius!

Last edited:
Do you think the orange sled would work on an old logging road, even though for the first couple miles it is uphill... only a couple steep parts, otherwise pretty gradual. I like the idea of stashing the sled up there (may have to spray paint it, or find a different color) then boning out the entire elk and getting it all out in 1 trip.

The orange sled looks deeper in the back but pretty flat up front... also, looks like it is tipping in a couple pictures. Does it stay upright or would it be tipping on its side with a full deboned elk on it?

Last edited:
Do you think the orange sled would work on an old logging road, even though for the first couple miles it is uphill... only a couple steep parts, otherwise pretty gradual. I like the idea of stashing the sled up there (may have to spray paint it, or find a different color) then boning out the entire elk and getting it all out in 1 trip.

The orange sled looks deeper in the back but pretty flat up front... also, looks like it is tipping in a couple pictures. Does it stay upright or would it be tipping on its side with a full deboned elk on it?
I haven't had a problem with tipping over... see that photo of my friend pulling it through a rock field... it stayed upright. You have to tie the meat down securely if you are going through bumpy stuff... Drilling more holes and weaving a rope alongside for a tie-down point works well... look closely at the sled in the picture with my wife and me and you can see this tie down.

I wouldn't want to pull a entire boned out elk uphill for very long. Maybe you could put some on your back and some in the sled.

Front shoulder in your pack and hind quarter and half the burger meat in the sled. Make two trips.

Attachments

• DSCN2742.jpg
    DSCN2742.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,019
Lotsa good tips here but at the end of the day, the fact remains elk are damn big animals and a lot of hard work to get out of the mountains alone.

Having contributed to 1/2 the horse power in this photo, I can attest the uphill / 2-man pull scenario wasn't much fun. The constant side twisting torsion on one's torso made this get old quickly. I was happy to put a portion of that deer on my back after 200 yards. Flat ground, downhill, or as Ratfink suggested a longer stick in front of two guys, even just one person pulling may have been a better sled scenario.

Last edited:
Back