Elk 5 miles from truck...

The snow conditions have to be just right for snowshoes not to be a massive pain. Probably the same thing with using a sled for hauling an elk out.

90% of the time, in deep snow, you're better off in just boots.

Spent the entire day yesterday in 6-30 inches of snow. Sure glad I didn't have snowshoes with, as they would have just been extra weight on my back to carry them around.

I often run into the local "couples" on USFS trails, snowshoes and poles, and 2-5 inches of snow for their 2 mile round trip expedition.

Last edited:
seriously? Have you used them? How about deep off trail powder, with deadfall and rocks? How about just deep powder? Anything but hard packed or frozen surface snow is terrible with snowshoes.

Done my share of snow camping & ice climbing by snowshoe,but as GH said conditions have to be right.
Nothing worse on hard crusty/ridged snow IMHO. Like surfing on ice...
My big ole rawhide and hickory ones work OK in deep powder.

Last edited:
Yes, i've used them, and they were always better than just boots. Not sure about fluffy powder. I wouldn't wear snow shoes in those conditions anyway. It's usually easy enough to just walk in it.

Whatever the disadvantages snow shoes have. It's not as bad as trying to walk in deep snow without them. That will beat you to death.
I found them to be too noisy for hunting. I did sled out an elk while wearing a higher-end pair and they were invaluable in the post-holing snow. Also, they had claws so you weren't slipping on sticks hidden in the snow. In the deeper snow I found them to give a slight advantage but not worth bringing along. They take some getting used to. You can't step backwards or you will fall on your butt.

I am very out of my element here but with deep snow has anyone ever bothered using snow shoes?

I would opt for jack rabbits as they are of stouter physique but up at the top of the hill you may have to go with snowshoes... How many lbs/ pack bunny is workable??

I found them to be too noisy for hunting. I did sled out an elk while wearing a higher-end pair and they were invaluable in the post-holing snow. Also, they had claws so you weren't slipping on sticks hidden in the snow. In the deeper snow I found them to give a slight advantage but not worth bringing along. They take some getting used to. You can't step backwards or you will fall on your butt.

I wouldn't hunt in them, but I use them for hiking and scouting. Sometimes for getting meat out, and I believe that's the topic.

Only known depiction of ElkStalker hunting-
p-20_zpsxo2ca0s6.gif

Got me thinking about adding some type of skeg runner to the bottom of a sled to help side hilling. Maybe a 3/4" pics of aluminum running the length of the sled? Anyway just a thought

Carrying capacity might be a limit on the newer models of snowshoe,tho Tubbs & Atlas make some that can carry more.
My 3 ft trail model carried alot.Crampons helped.But that was not with a chunk of elk on my back.
Most of the time here in NM the snow is not deep enough during hunting season for long.
Still something to think about and maybe throw in the truck too..............along with the crampons & ice axe...rope......

Howdy,

I was going to ask if if anyone had any experience using a sled to pull out an elk. So, I searched and found this old post, and I wanted to reply to it.

I made the decision to give it a try after having seen some efforts in that direction. I will be hunting with a buddy during the 4th Rifle season in Northern Colorado. Assuming the conditions are right, I hope for the following.

So after our first pack-out of meat to the truck, I will take my "Otter Pro Small UW" back on the return trip to pick up the meat bags. We should be able to get all the remaining meat on the sled making for one trip. I will attach a second rope loop on the back of the sled so it helps a second person guide it straight. Now there may be some difficult areas, and we may have to ferry the bags some, but the 2-person sledding-out the elk has got to be better than carrying it all on your back!

Your experienced thoughts are appreciated!

I have had great success in the winter with my AT ski setup... but skiing with a heavy pack requires a high degree of proficiency. Skis work about 1000 times better than snowshoes especially if it's icy or deep.

It will work great if its mostly flat or downhill. You will probably make better uses of your time if you pack the quarters up the hills and sled down/pull the sled on the downhill portions. If the snow depth is between 2" - 10" it works great. I've have taken out one large bull that was in quarters and whole muley buck last fall. Just use a ice-fishing sled with 10" sides and stay clear away from the front when your going downhill. This is one reason I prefer to hunt in the late fall.

Yes Pagosa! I think you are right and your ideas/plan is what I have in mind using the Otter Sled. The units I have for the 4th rifle season In CO is 4 & 441. Both of these units are not the steeper, higher elevations some of the other GMUs have. The terrain there and the timing of the last rifle season(the week before Thanksgiving) should put some proper snow on the ground. Thanks!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back