Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eastern Montana towns to avoid

SECOND THAT BROTHER!! I actually don't miss midwest whitetails, I just miss the smell of the crisp fall air while the combines are running corn and soybeans. If I don't sit another SORE-ASS second in a tree stand for the rest of my days on this earth I don't care. Dang to think of the hours and hours I sat my ass in a tree while my butt cheeks went numb....
The older I get the more I enjoy it . When I was young I would freeze my ass off in walmart camo and 3 sweat shirts and carhart bibs. Id get real impatient too. Now I like the quiet crisp air, watching all sorts of critters move about. Even the squirrels I like to watch hop branch to branch . As I get more and more involved in the farm operation the less I get to go but I always manage to find a way in a tree.

Lame Deer will have near zero western Montana and nonresident hunters. If I could get a tag for the Cheyenne I would buy one. I think there is a better chance of getting a quality buck on the west side of the Tongue now days than on the East side. Twenty years ago there was lots of Cheyennes hunting the Custer, now I see far fewer. That should tell us something.

Even if you could hunt the Cheyenne Rez, there would be nothing to hunt. One of the locals used to shoot every buck deer within 200 miles of Lamedeer with a spotlight and a 22 magnum. He is in jail now, maybe a deer or two has wandered back in, but when he gets out, don’t expect to find any more deer...

Even if you could hunt the Cheyenne Rez, there would be nothing to hunt. One of the locals used to shoot every buck deer within 200 miles of Lamedeer with a spotlight and a 22 magnum. He is in jail now, maybe a deer or two has wandered back in, but when he gets out, don’t expect to find any more deer...
Thirty years ago this was spot on. Things are changing for the better on the Cheyenne. I have lived next to the Rez all of my life. There are still locals that spotlight and shoot every deer that they can. There are also Cheyennes that are trying to enact change. I see deer on the Rez frequently now and Cheyenne hunters are taking some real big mule deer now and then. There are roadless rough places that only the most dedicated Cheyenne will hunt. My point is not that the Cheyenne is a model of conservation. Far from it. Even with the total lack of game laws there is a better chance of taking a big deer on the Cheyenne than on the Custer today. It is not that the Cheyenne has gotten much better but just how far the Custer has fallen when it come to hunting Mule Deer.

Interesting. Biggest deer I’ve killed died about three miles from the Cheyenne Reservation.

After camping in the Negative temps the last 2 days I wrapped my tag around this guy. I think we are the only ones crazy enough to be in a wall tent . Couldn’t be happier . Thanks for anyone who helped me along the way . I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it .

Attachments

• 4E6CA6EA-BF74-4C98-B481-1B6C37CB0432.jpeg
    4E6CA6EA-BF74-4C98-B481-1B6C37CB0432.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 173
Congrats on a very nice buck. Great mass and good tine length, even on the eye guards! What Ridge is that? 6.5?

I graduated from Froid HS in 1986. You?
Seriously? Was it all in technicolor back then too? That was the first thing I thought of when we pulled in. All the cars were 30 years old and everything was some faded drab color. But it was also excellent bird hunting and the people were equally welcoming.

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor in a Bergara Ridge . The trigger is awesome on the gun and groups MOA . . 250 yard shot on the Muley . Favorite beer has been the Busch lights we brought back from Iowa in the wall tent . Lol haven’t been to town much other than fuel for the generator . 62 degrees in the wall tent currently and a slushy Busch light .

Back