Caribou Gear

Eastern Montana towns to avoid

The web has ruined Eastern Montana. mtmuley
I think a lot of us are still in the denial and anger stages of losing our favorite hunting area including myself. Some day we may reach acceptance.

I have a little secret place still.... And the web is ruining a lot of places. mtmuley

Wellllll forget I asked . Still gonna go and give it a try. Not all of Iowa has a 160 inch whitetail hiding in every timber pocket either... Round my area 145- 150 incher is a very respectable deer.

Wellllll forget I asked . Still gonna go and give it a try. Not all of Iowa has a 160 inch whitetail hiding in every timber pocket either... Round my area 145- 150 incher is a very respectable deer.
A 145 -150 inch whitetail is pretty respectable around here too. Good luck when people come here to hunt they rarely quit coming so will probably find the caliber buck you are after.

Lame Deer will have near zero western Montana and nonresident hunters. If I could get a tag for the Cheyenne I would buy one. I think there is a better chance of getting a quality buck on the west side of the Tongue now days than on the East side. Twenty years ago there was lots of Cheyennes hunting the Custer, now I see far fewer. That should tell us something.

Last edited:
Any hour now and the first SE Montana bucks will be hitting the ground . Glad I’m not out there

The demise of SE Montana started long before Al Gore's internet was an issue. I remember some guy from Bozeman that put his hero shot of a big big deer with lots of great background in Eastman's back in the late 90's. There was many that came before him. The late 90's was the tail end of the party. SE MT was slipping fast back then.

it’s the tools that contribute to success too , onx maps google earth etc . No piece of public goes untouched

Have fun and share pics when you get back. Stop at the brewery in Wibaux for a paddlefish stout and thank me later.

Have fun and share pics when you get back. Stop at the brewery in Wibaux for a paddlefish stout and thank me later.
I'm not sure about the Paddlefish Stout, but their Rusty Beaver is my favorite.

Back