Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

E-Scouting for Elk using onX

Episode two was amazing. onX Maps is an unbelievable tool and to have Randy provide some insight into how he uses it to scout elk from thousands of miles away is amazing! It's hard to quantify how much the little tricks and tips Randy provides help! If you haven't checked out the latest video you should!

Part 3 - Probably more discussion on burns than you care to listen to.

[video=youtube_share;CxQduV2-woY]https://youtu.be/CxQduV2-woY[/video]

This is pretty awesome! Been sitting here with the note pad and then going and revisting some of the places we had picked out for our September hunt. Thanks Randy!

Glad we have that RANDY Discount code for onXmaps. I have been able to find everything I needed before that onX has (geomac, CO hunting atlas, etc) but this is all in one package and worth it for $25.

Good stuff! When do you expect all the episodes will be finished and posted? Not trying to put the rush on you, but some of us have archery bull hunts starting in about 6 weeks and need to make our e-scouting count before then.

Good stuff! When do you expect all the episodes will be finished and posted? Not trying to put the rush on you, but some of us have archery bull hunts starting in about 6 weeks and need to make our e-scouting count before then.

It'll take a while. Right now we have twelve episodes in the can to complete the series. At the rate of one per week, we will be done in early September. onX has mentioned the idea of releasing two in a week as a possibility.

Thanks for the information Randy. I have onX and have been using it for an up coming hunt. It will be our first hunt out west and trying to do as much e-scouting as possible, but we drew a pretty hard tag (New Mexico unit 50 Sept 1-14). It is mostly pinyons and junipers and from what I have been reading online the elk are scattered. Is there something other than water away from the trails that I should be looking for. Thanks again for all of the information you have put out there . I fell look it give us from out east a fighting chance.

Part 4 - Sanctuaries is now live. Main focus of my plan for post-rut and late season.

[video=youtube_share;D2NnSXxB9DU]https://youtu.be/D2NnSXxB9DU[/video]

Hey Randy,

Just watched part five of escouting. I was wondering if you had the option to hunt opening day in the first season of the year but it was on a Saturday would you avoid opening day and just start hunting on Monday or start hunting on opening morning?

Hey Randy,

Just watched part five of escouting. I was wondering if you had the option to hunt opening day in the first season of the year but it was on a Saturday would you avoid opening day and just start hunting on Monday or start hunting on opening morning?

I'd hunt opening morning, as most seasons are pretty short in many states, Montana being one of the exceptions. I would have my "opening morning plan" based on what I see in my scouting time and then I would have my "rest of the season plan," knowing the deck is completely shuffled after opening day.

Part 5 - Hunting Pressure, is now live on our YouTube channel. If you hunt public land in areas with large amounts of hunters, being able to predict hunting pressure, where it will come from and how elk will respond, is a big part of putting together your game plan.

[video=youtube_share;eRwuSb_gang]https://youtu.be/eRwuSb_gang[/video]

I'd hunt opening morning, as most seasons are pretty short in many states, Montana being one of the exceptions. I would have my "opening morning plan" based on what I see in my scouting time and then I would have my "rest of the season plan," knowing the deck is completely shuffled after opening day.

Thanks Big Fin!

Loving this series. I use to switch between onX and Google Earth for scouting but I'm almost exclusively onX now. Two features I like on Google Earth are being able to see the date of satellite imagery and seeing exact elevation as you mouse over the map. Does anyone know if either feature is available for onX and maybe I just can't find it?

Part 6 - Hunting Boundaries and Using Boundaries as a Sanctuary.

Probably the most effective sanctuary areas I hunt are boundaries. Requires a certain level of acceptance that many encounters will be off limits. But, the hunting pressure is usually far lower.

Thanks for watching.

[video=youtube_share;s2HoNU7r1ls]https://youtu.be/s2HoNU7r1ls[/video]

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back