Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

E-Scouting for Elk using onX

Perhaps so, but "I have not seen a spot..." Emphasis on "I". Nor can I name one, particularly in Montana, which the OP seems to be referencing.

There is tons of public land, in Montana, that is not grazed. I have seen those spots, so I'm simply adding on that your experiences and his statement aren't mutually exclusive.

Great program! Any chance OnX can add a directional arrow instead of a blue dot for your location? The directional arrow is really helpful when in full darkness.

People often laugh when my first statement is, "To kill an elk you have to find an elk." Pretty simple, but not knowing how to consistently find elk was the biggest hurdle I faced in my elk hunting travels. Everything I do from the time I draw the tag until I am at the trailhead in the morning darkness is predicate on where I think I will find elk at whatever period of the elk calendar my tag is good for.

The greatest number of questions we get pertain to elk hunting. Most revolve around finding elk. Finding mature bull elk on public land is not easy, especially in the post-rut and late season periods.

In my experience, most of the question that arise when trying to find public land bull elk can be answered by explaining how we put together our plan for hunting when we get to the unit, or the process we call E-scouting. We usually have five days, often in a unit we've lever seen or hunted, and in those five days we must find and take a bull elk on camera. We need a plan for all five days we are there.

We released the first video this morning that is an overview of what the series will be like. It is about putting together a plan to consistently find bull elk on public land for whatever calendar period you will be hunting them.

[video=youtube_share;jmIciCbU6Co]

We have filmed most of the content for this series and it looks like we will end up somewhere between 10-12 videos to fully explain how we build our plan by E-scouting. Hope you find it worthwhile.

Wait! I thought Elk are where you find them...

Hey Randy,

As always this is great content on the phases of the elk calendar and how to locate elk in those phases.

However, can we take a step back and look at how would you suggest the guy that gets that OTC/general tag select his HD (or a few HD's), then use the e-scouting techniques you have laid out in your videos? How would you take the numerous HD's in a state and narrow it down that few? This doesn't have to be MT specific, but really for any OTC/General tag.

A subscription to GoHunt would help here. But lets say that guy doesn't have GoHunt.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for the series on using OnX. I’m heading to the Missouri River Breaks for the first time in a few weeks to prep for a fall hunt. I love the comradery!

Last edited:
People often laugh when my first statement is, "To kill an elk you have to find an elk." Pretty simple, but not knowing how to consistently find elk was the biggest hurdle I faced in my elk hunting travels. Everything I do from the time I draw the tag until I am at the trailhead in the morning darkness is predicate on where I think I will find elk at whatever period of the elk calendar my tag is good for.

The greatest number of questions we get pertain to elk hunting. Most revolve around finding elk. Finding mature bull elk on public land is not easy, especially in the post-rut and late season periods.

In my experience, most of the question that arise when trying to find public land bull elk can be answered by explaining how we put together our plan for hunting when we get to the unit, or the process we call E-scouting. We usually have five days, often in a unit we've lever seen or hunted, and in those five days we must find and take a bull elk on camera. We need a plan for all five days we are there.

We released the first video this morning that is an overview of what the series will be like. It is about putting together a plan to consistently find bull elk on public land for whatever calendar period you will be hunting them.

We have filmed most of the content for this series and it looks like we will end up somewhere between 10-12 videos to fully explain how we build our plan by E-scouting. Hope you find it worthwhile.

On episode 3. I love it. I’m employee if the strategy for a Missouri River Breaks Scouting Trip coming soon to get ready for a fall mule deer hunt. THANK YOU!!!

The cattle vs. possible game trail discussion above reminds me of another question: Have any of you ever seen an actual Elk, deer, or other wildlife while scanning these satellite images? I've been scrolling for hours and keep thinking 'just maybe the next bench or nook'.

Second, while there's not a Beetle Kill layer in Onx, swaths of dead trees keep appearing in a unit I'm hunting in this year (image below). Since this does not show up as an old burn with the burn layer on, is it safe to assume this is beetle kill?

I read an RMEF article and one on MeatEater saying these areas are not good for elk since the branches of the forest still block out too much sun (RMEF) and the blow-down is too much of a hassle for Elk and they avoid it. What has been your experience in hunting these areas...safe to write off all together or still keep them as part of your glassing plan?

1597186959591.png

The cattle vs. possible game trail discussion above reminds me of another question: Have any of you ever seen an actual Elk, deer, or other wildlife while scanning these satellite images? I've been scrolling for hours and keep thinking 'just maybe the next bench or nook'.

Second, while there's not a Beetle Kill layer in Onx, swaths of dead trees keep appearing in a unit I'm hunting in this year (image below). Since this does not show up as an old burn with the burn layer on, is it safe to assume this is beetle kill?

I read an RMEF article and one on MeatEater saying these areas are not good for elk since the branches of the forest still block out too much sun (RMEF) and the blow-down is too much of a hassle for Elk and they avoid it. What has been your experience in hunting these areas...safe to write off all together or still keep them as part of your glassing plan?

View attachment 150104
Elk won’t mind it as much as you do. I see plenty of elk in beetle kill. Just depends on the density.

How has your experience been importing locations from google earth to onx? Like when you escout was it what you thought the terrain would look like based on the imported locations i comparison to google earth?

I've been using On-X Maps but this is the first time I'm stumped. I only had 4 points in Arizona and put in for a late rifle season in Unit 8. I never thought I'd get drawn. From listening to others it sounds like I need to find a way in to Sycamore Canyon to find the big bulls. Been hiking hard and physically prepared but I still have no idea how best to enter this Wilderness area.
I've never hunted this unit and the more I look using OnX the fewer answers I have...
I think I chose a pretty challenging unit. I just thought I'd be building up another year of points. Any advice would be appreciated at this point.

Wow, you need 7 for 100% odds according to go-hunt. Look up Fresh Tracks Season 1 on you tube (not on Amazon for some reason) for the Arizona elk episode. It looks like Randy was in very similar territory with a rifle.

Just watched the first e-scout video, some really great information there. It’s good to have these tactics many have used haphazardly organized in such a great way. Can’t wait for the next video. Thanks

Diving in today, while I have some free time at work. Been hunting for 22 years, but not much elk experience, and somehow drew the NM 16A tag this fall. Good information here, it seems from the responses.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back