E-Scouting for Elk using onX

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
People often laugh when my first statement is, "To kill an elk you have to find an elk." Pretty simple, but not knowing how to consistently find elk was the biggest hurdle I faced in my elk hunting travels. Everything I do from the time I draw the tag until I am at the trailhead in the morning darkness is predicate on where I think I will find elk at whatever period of the elk calendar my tag is good for.

The greatest number of questions we get pertain to elk hunting. Most revolve around finding elk. Finding mature bull elk on public land is not easy, especially in the post-rut and late season periods.

In my experience, most of the question that arise when trying to find public land bull elk can be answered by explaining how we put together our plan for hunting when we get to the unit, or the process we call E-scouting. We usually have five days, often in a unit we've lever seen or hunted, and in those five days we must find and take a bull elk on camera. We need a plan for all five days we are there.

We released the first video this morning that is an overview of what the series will be like. It is about putting together a plan to consistently find bull elk on public land for whatever calendar period you will be hunting them.

[video=youtube_share;jmIciCbU6Co]https://youtu.be/jmIciCbU6Co[/video]

We have filmed most of the content for this series and it looks like we will end up somewhere between 10-12 videos to fully explain how we build our plan by E-scouting. Hope you find it worthwhile.

Thanks, I wonder would you consider a variant of doing this for mule deer?

Having just bought a subscript to OnX, and not really having a clue to what I have (and don't have) in it, I can see pretty pictures and property lines, but what can do besides property lines that I can't do with a paper map? The big problem is that I really don't know what to look for in mule deer scouting in the first place. I have lots to learn.

Thanks, I wonder would you consider a variant of doing this for mule deer?

Having just bought a subscript to OnX, and not really having a clue to what I have (and don't have) in it, I can see pretty pictures and property lines, but what can do besides property lines that I can't do with a paper map? The big problem is that I really don't know what to look for in mule deer scouting in the first place. I have lots to learn.

We won't be doing it for mule deer. or any other species. The same principles apply. We use the same process no matter the species or seasonal period we are hunting.

Great Video!

Since moving to the West and starting Western hunting I can honestly say Onyx maps app on my iPhone is my most valuable and most used piece of gear. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to navigate the line between public and private land using only a paper map.

-Adam

Great Video!

Since moving to the West and starting Western hunting I can honestly say Onyx maps app on my iPhone is my most valuable and most used piece of gear. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to navigate the line between public and private land using only a paper map.

-Adam

I recently moved from Georgia (where you would never dream of hunting public land) to Colorado where one dreams of hunting public land. I used onX on my phone for turkey season and found very nice places within 20 minutes of my house. Without the onX maps, one would have never seen the NF land dispersed throughout what looks to be just county open space.

Randy,
Thanks for doing these. I'm an onX subscriber and I think is a super tool. I'm really looking forward to seeing this vid series.

As I'm watching this intro video, as you keeping going over your fingers naming the different seasons (~2 min in). I'm thinking I bet he's glad there are not 6 season of elk hunting, because Randy don't have enough fingers on one hand :).

Be Safe,

Very cool! When do you expect to wrap up the 12 episodes? Viewing under your playlists, it appears you have four completed. Is this correct?

Also, for Youtube viewers at this site, you may need to go directly to YouTube @ https://youtu.be/h0Z_NClt88Q in order to subscribe. At least from my phone, the YouTube video Randy shares in this thread does not present the "Subscribe" icon, etc.

Last edited:
Very cool! When do you expect to wrap up the 12 episodes? Viewing under your playlists, it appears you have four completed. Is this correct?

Those are from last year. The episodes from this year is updated with much higher production quality and surely a better content message.

Part 2 - Edges and Canopy Disruptions. Live now at the link below.

[video=youtube_share;QaZLD5N5odo]https://youtu.be/QaZLD5N5odo[/video]

Both the links are just big black boxes for me, am I doing something wrong or is this your way of saying there is no hope for me?:)

I always have black boxes as well from my work computer. I just go directly to youtube once I see them posted on here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back