Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Never

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Only when I'm taking a dump

Votes: 26 45.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 20812

I've noticed in few recent threads folks are talking about dumping their packs when closing out a stalk. Personally, I never drop mine. I've actually found a pack to be invaluable for shooting. Three of the my last four animals have all been shot from a sitting position, leaning over the pack itself. The distances have been 300, 140, and 400 yards. Each time, the slope of the hill prevented a prone shot.

I missed an opportunity at a really nice mountain whitetail buck several years ago because I was f*&^ing around with a bipod. Had I simply used my pack from a sitting position, I have little doubt the hunt would have turned out quite differently. So, what say you?

I've dumped it for a stalk, under the "tallest tree around", got close, shot, missed, then realized I was in a forest of "tallest trees"

I've also blown a ton of stalks archery getting seen, which I always blame on the pack, I mean it basically doubles my girl-ish figure.

When I need to belly crawl, but only when it will be VERY easy to find it. The only thing that could be worse than losing your pack would be to also lose your shoes because you wanted to be extra sneaky!
I've had to hunt for my boots before. It kinda sucks.

I Have a KUIU pack. I am one of those that carries way more than most as I don't mind the extra little but of weight. While I do prefer to have my pack to use for shooting if need be, I now carry the KUIU smaller pack inside my big one. I have taken my big one off when I am going scouting up a couple steep canyons hills, knowing I am coming back down.

Dropped it about 10 years ago trying to run and cut off a buck chasing a doe during muzzleloader season. Got there, rushed the shot while breathing hard and missed. The buck stood perfectly still long enough for me to walk back and get my pack and think about reloading.......never dumped my pack since.

I had a miserable and messy experience with my archery release one day. it now come off with the pack during a dump.
We had some big wind on the last day of my recent Wyoming hunt. I was watching some deer on the ridge in front of me, and had to pee. The only place I could go and not be seen was about 12 feet over on the ridge where I was sitting, and upwind. I started peeing, and look back, and was just full-on spraying my pack. Too bad I didn’t have that Tropicana bottle...

I prefer to keep mine with me if possible, but I usually take it off to shoot if I can. My last elk hunt I dropped it thinking I was about to shoot, but ended up needing to move to get the shot. Normally I mark it with GPS if I drop it, but of course in the heat of the moment I forgot. As I was making the final stalk I realized I forgot to mark it and hoped I didn't end up needing to go far, luckily I didn't and it was easy to find.

I drop my pack a lot during archery and I have a small little bag to take water, knife, and toilet paper (never forget the tp) just in case.
During rifle I'll rarely drop my pack unless I'm checking out a close area and will be coming back the way I walk in.
I did leave my pack once to go chase elk during rifle and walked way further than I thought we would, no water and no flashlight...stupid ideas.

I never drop it, the final step of a stalk often takes a LONG distance :)

I do, especially rifle, take it off and carry it, as my preferred shooting it prone over the pack

I normally dump it closing in on stalks, and I normally have to look around a bit to find it. Maybe I will learn one of these days.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back