Do you dump your pack?

• When I'm closing a stalk

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Never

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Only when I'm taking a dump

Votes: 26 45.6%

• Total voters
Situation dependent. Probably only ditch the pack about 25% of the time. But if I need to cover ground to get in a good position for a shot rfn, pack comes off. I need to exercise more.

I voted when stalking but that is an archery only situation. I once dumped it to cut off a herd where I had to go up steep and quick when using a muzzleloader. I soon regretted that decision when I had an elk on the ground and my kill kit was down below in my pack. Oh did I mention steep?? If I am using any type of firearm the pack stays with me as others have said it comes in handy as a steady rest and because yardage is not as big of factor I may need to hike or move quickly for a better shot, in the heat of the moment wouldn't want to take time to drop a pin on where to pick up my pack.

i want to vote never, but i would technically be lying

as in my other thread i did mention dumping the pack. we dumped the packs right at the crest of the ridge to crawl the last 7-10 yards

it was the first time i've dumped a pack in 7 successful hunts, and i regretted it. i omitted this detail from the story for no other reason that it didn't fit in with the flow i was trying to create in the post. but go back and look at the picture of that deer again and see if you can see where i hit it, and remember that i said i settled on the vitals for a 200 yard shot....

hint, i missed, but you couldn't have asked for a luckier miss. another hint, that buck was going in for another butt sniff as i pulled the trigger, i.e. head was lowering down. that flimsy little bush i used as a rest is the excuse i'm coming up with for a poor trigger pull... or it was just a poor trigger pull, or it was the rifle falling down my shoulder climbing up a boulder opening morning and smacking a rock. regardless, after that lucky hit i wish i had steadied on my pack and that it wasn't ten yards behind me

Does dumping your MR Metcalf in the fire while you are butchering an elk count?😡😡🤯🤯🤯
Don’t ask.
Anyone know what a good replacement might be? Asking for a friend.
Don't know about a replacement but I hope you kept that pack for show and tell.

Does dumping your MR Metcalf in the fire while you are butchering an elk count?😡😡🤯🤯🤯
Don’t ask.
Anyone know what a good replacement might be? Asking for a friend.
maybe this can ease your pain?

I never dump it. I was with my buddy for CO 2nd rifle and he is a pretty new hunter (he shot a bigger buck than I did tho, so pumped for him). We got on some elk and he had an elk tag and he decided to dump his pack. Well, it ended up being a lot longer than we had anticipated and he was without anything for over an hour. I contemplated telling him not to do it, but figured he would learn from leaving it. He did

In archery season I dump it when bulls are working in, but I have shot with it on. In rifle season it’s on till I shoot. When I take a crap it’s right next to be because there’s a can of bear spray and a 10mm attached to it and bears live in the places I hunt. I’ve shot plenty a animals while they were takin a crap and I’m just not goin out that way. If it’s gonna be by a bear so be it but not while takin a crap.

Taking Your pack off for the stalk is something you see in the movies..

I learned my lesson this year, dropped my pack to run through some deadfall, left my rangefinder on my pack, then had to go get it for the kill kit. It probably would have been more miserable if I wasn’t elated at killing my 1st bull. But I think I’ll keep it on from now on. It would have made a good rest, and I could have started quartering in the light. Which is beneficial to an amateur elk hunter.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back