Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dogs suggestions

mdunc8

We had to put our dog down a little over six months ago and the house has felt awfully empty since then. I've been thinking about picking up a new pup lately. Still debating on what to get. I'm just looking for a good hiking/fishing buddy first and foremost and any hunting I can get out of him/her would be a bonus. Grouse is the only bird hunting I do at this point. One day maybe I'll give ducks and geese a try. I like goldens and labs, but I don't know much about their potential for upland game hunting. If I had a bigger place I'd think about getting a pointer, but I don't think I could live with one in our condo. Anyone out there have any experience hunting over goldens or labs?

For mostly upland hunting, plus a few ducks and geese mixed in, a springer spaniel is a good dog. If you want a bigger dog, go with a lab. Don't get a golden. For one thing, you'll have a much easier time finding a lab that is a better quality bird dog. Goldens aren't used as much by hunters and most of them have been bred dumb. Another thing is the hair. Labs don't pick up 1/10 the burrs that goldens do.

Not sure why the pointer won't work in your condo if a lab will, we have both an adult yellow lab and a German shorthair pointer pup, if one was going to stay inside I'd go with the pointer. The good thing about the shorthair is just what the name says 'short hair,' our lab sheds A LOT, but they're outside dogs anyway. I've seen lots of labs do very well with upland birds and if you do go waterfowl hunting I'd worry about a short haired dog - so IMO if you're going waterfowl someday go with a lab.

I think most pointers might be a little wound up for a condo, just my opinion. Maybe look at a griffon, if you like a pointing breed. Many are known to be kind of "boot-lickers", not to rangy, more calm, even aloof. I would also agree on the brit.

Labs are the "go to" all around dog in this country, but you can get some real knuckleheads that are wound up as any pointer. If you go the lab route, I would really put out the money, do your research(with any dog really), talk to some breeders, get a guarantee on hips, good breeders should be several generations HD free.

Though I've only been around it a few times, a small munsterlander is a pretty good size for in the house and it doesn't appear to shed much. They're a bit smaller than the springers that the guy also has, but point instead of flush.

Lab would be my first choice for what you want. Good temperment, hunting abilities & easy to come by. Check out the parents as stated before.
Springers are smaller and might fit your style better. Some can be high strung and some can have an attitude (protective).
I agree that pointers "can" need space.
I have Griffons. Great attitudes, loyal and forgiving as the day is long, average noses, very close and methodical workers. They do great in the house. One problem... get one with a course haircoat or they are cockle-burr collectors which is a pain in the butt. Second problem... few of them around and teh can get very $$$.
Visla... middle size dog, lots of energy, very active hunters, short hair coat. I have seen some nice ones and some "nutty" ones.
Brittany's..... once more medium size, nice family dog & also can be high strung.

As with all of these breeds, please check out the parents and see how they react to you. Play and interact with the parents.

good luck to all
the dog

GWP, Lab, Springer (I have a springer pup now... he's a kick in the pants and I expect he'll be a great dog)....I ha ev heard nothing but good about the Drahthaars, but I suspect Draht would have mentioned it if he thought it was a good idea for the condo living! ;0)

I'm a lab guy. Love the diversity of them for the field and water. And tough when it gets cold for waterfowl hunting. Don't know how they do on grouse, but pheasants, ducks and geese, they're great!

Have two indoor Goldens....great dogs, very well behaved & live for approval. They shed like crazy...couple cannisters a week.

I have had three goldens and just got another that is 4 months old .She is a Frisbies breed golden .Frisbies are breeders in Minnesota ,there dogs are smaller have shorter hair and they are breed more for hunting than your traditional golden . I just got a female and she should be about 50# when fully grown. There is no better dog in my opion than a good golden. All the goldens I have had were great hunters.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The wife is pushing hard for a golden. However, she showed up with the last mut without any prior discussion, so I guess it's my turn to do the same.

I will send you a Jack Russel for free....he is high strung, sheds, very protective, serious attitude problems and will piss all over you if he gets too excited...the ex wife's last FU before we split

I will send you a Jack Russel for free....he is high strung, sheds, very protective, serious attitude problems and will piss all over you if he gets too excited...the ex wife's last FU before we split

Next time he is outside and gets stuck in high gear, use your lowest pretend shout voice.............................stop, come back, don't go, come home little guy;)

Sorry kids he didn't listen.

Take a look at French Brittany pointers. They're less high strung than their American cousins and other pointers. They're medium size, 35# (female) to 40# (male), so less feed and less poop. French Brittanys require daily exercise but don't demand as much as other pointers. Having naturally short tails they don't knock things over when they wag inside the house.

In terms of energy they have much endurance. My wife took our Fionna on a 12 mile mountain run in the Bighorns. Fellow runners estimated that Fionna ran three times as far as the humans because she quartered off trail sniffing for birds. When done she was less wasted than her Golden and Lab friends who stuck to the trail.

I know of a GREAT breeding of labs that has one black male left. I am getting his 1/2 brother in about a month and a half. Dog is in Michigan. Excellent hunting background and health clearances. Very high bird drive and excellent natural carry. Price is good too. If you are interested I can get you the contact info.

I have been waiting over 4 years for my puppy from this line if that tells you anything.

I'm also in the market for a general all around dog this summer or fall.

How much do these labs bred to hunt cost? Some of the prices on these dogs seem to be getting out of control, the shed hunting dog breeders are asking $2,500+ for "started" dogs.

I think I've settled on a female lab from a smaller sized lineage vs. the ones bred to be big. Would like to get one with a good hunting lineage as well, but not sure if I want to pay an arm and a leg for a dog.

Of course, I would love to have a dog that had great instincts and was easy to train and if it was that important to spend the extra $ I guess I would if I had to.

Just curious. Nathan

Excellent hunting stock can be had for 500 to 800 a dog, if you know where to look. I agree that big commercial kennels are priced out of control. I also go for smaller labs that can run all day. My pup that was born last week will be a male this time. Next years pup will be a female. My current lab topped out at 60 lbs, but she has health issues and is retired at the age of 5. A small field bred lab is possibly the most versatile dog out there. Shed hunting, upland birds, waterfowl, hiking protection, house pet, kids play toy, etc. They do it all.

had a springer for 12 years, great with my 2 kids, best dog i ever had, would flush quail, retrieve dove and ducks, and trailed up several shot deer. now have a 10 yr old Boykin spaniel, much like the springer, smart, good retriever. been hunting some with friend and his pointing Brittney last 2 seasons and highly impressed, maybe a little higher strung than springer or Boykin but i think a better choice if hunting is main priority.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back