Dogs suggestions

A bootlicker for grouse is no fun at all. Have owned lab, golden, gwp, gsp, numerous Gordons, and brits. My choice would be a Brit, but you gotta know the pedigree of what you're getting. If the sire of the sire is the grandsire of the dam on the dams side, take a chance. If there are more CH in the pedigree than FC or DC, i would shy away. CH is show dog. Master or senior hunter (AKC) is also desirable. Good luck and enjoy. If the wifey wants golden, maybe ask her to consider yellow lab?

My current lab topped out at 60 lbs, but she has health issues and is retired at the age of 5.

That sucks Rat Fink, that is what I am talking about. A good gun dog should be in top form, in full hunting stride at 5. That is a shame. My DD is 12 y.o. and still runs like a thoroughbred. Good breeding, exercise, KEEP EM THIN, good food(dry food, people food only sparingly as a treat once in a while), and soft beds.

That sucks Rat Fink, that is what I am talking about. A good gun dog should be in top form, in full hunting stride at 5. That is a shame. My DD is 12 y.o. and still runs like a thoroughbred. Good breeding, exercise, KEEP EM THIN, good food(dry food, people food only sparingly as a treat once in a while), and soft beds.

She was certainly in her prime. Over 1,500 retrieves in 5 seasons. All species of upland and waterfowl, all conditions. She was an exceptional hunting dog. She has Canine Lupus. The only way for her to stay alive is to take steroids everyday, and that is eating up her liver. Another side effect of the steroids is weakening of the ligaments, so now she has torn both of her CCL's. She can't even walk up the 2 steps from the garage into the house most of the time. Auto immune disease in dogs is nasty and horrible. It can happen to any breed and at anytime. It is just a risk any dog owner takes. I'm sure I will be putting her down before the end of the year, but for now she is still happy and gets around good enough.

We still hunt our 12 year old lab, and a 9 yr old that's mostly a pet but he has done some limited hunting when a dog was lame and had to be rested. There's a lot of good years on a lab if you can keep them healthy.

Last edited:
Back