Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Divorce, do you ever see it coming...

I don’t have any idea why this thread was resurrected, but personally I always figure at the end of hunting season, with the weekends spent hunting, schedule shuffling, work projects, weekends spent packing and unpacking, mornings with early wake up calls (this may eventually be the last straw) etc, the odds are somewhere around 60/40. Either that or I wake up dead.
Old thread, but it seems to be resonating.

I'll just add that my wife and I just celebrated our 17th anniversary, if there's a divorce in the future I sure can't see it coming at present. We have our ups and downs but we're very happily married.

My parents, on the other hand, they got divorced after 30+ years. I think everyone saw that coming. Us 3 kids certainly did and couldn't figure out why it took 30+ years to finally happen. They never acted like they even liked each other.

My parents, on the other hand, they got divorced after 30+ years. I think everyone saw that coming. Us 3 kids certainly did and couldn't figure out why it took 30+ years to finally happen. They never acted like they even liked each other.
See a lot of people in their 50s-60s that are like this. Including my own parents, I think sometimes the shame of failure and the thought of what other people would think outweighs ending things.

See a lot of people in their 50s-60s that are like this. Including my own parents, I think sometimes the shame of failure and the thought of what other people would think outweighs ending things.
^^^^^^ this. Plus the practical/logistical challenges of unwinding 20 years or more of commingled lives and finances. I think the older generations are more concerned with the social stigma than the younger generations. I was talking with a friend awhile back whose daughter had just called of an engagement a month before the wedding. He commented on how screwed up it is that calling off a wedding seems to carry more social stigma these days than getting a divorce. I had never really thought about that, but it’s true.

A friend from work,,, who went thru a few marriages had a sticker on his truck and locker that said

"Eat drink and remarry"

Also there was a bumper sticker around town about him that said "Honk if you've been married to .........."

Personally, We've been married 42 years. No complaints on this end.

Last edited:
Growing up and into young adulthood, I was fortunate to have been related to and been around some of the old Lutheran farming families of German descent scattered around west-central Texas. Listening to to those folks talk about getting married at 16, working a 160 acre farm, going off to war, hunting squirrels and rabbits to stay fed when times were lean; it never really occurred to me until later, but it seemed that folks from that culture and generation, divorce simply didn't entered into their thinking.

Those were some interesting people. Tougher than hell, but some of the kindest most hospitable folks you'd ever want to know. They're all pretty much gone now, but one regret I have is I wish I'd taken the time to sit down and interview some aunt's, uncle's, and their neighbors, and write down thier stories. They came up in a different world.

It's funny that this thread has sorta resurrected itself. Today is the anniversary of my wife's last wedding. I guess mine, too for that matter. We've never really celebrated on this day, we got married between christmas and new years for convenience sake, it was easier to get out families together for a party around this time of year, and whatever year ago it happened, this was the most convenient day. Today I'm finishing up my covid quarantine, and trying to avoid getting stabbed, (which I may deserve) since I'm feeling pretty well, and I've been around the house for far too many days in a row. One thing I've figured out is that I need to heat the last bay in the garage that I use for my reloading bench/shop.If this is a two week trial of retirement, I'm gonna need more hobbies, or at least less expensive ones.

Each of my brother-in-laws have been divorced 3-4 times. Folks should put at least as much thought into picking a spouse as they do their elk hunting rifle or tires for their truck.
My best bud just got divorced for the 3rd time. Right into dating a new one. Can't figure it out. My wife of 31 years and I really like his last wife and are good friends. Kinda in a weird spot now. Oh well.

My best bud just got divorced for the 3rd time. Right into dating a new one. Can't figure it out. My wife of 31 years and I really like his last wife and are good friends. Kinda in a weird spot now. Oh well.
One BIL (twins) is currently going through divorce 3 or 4, I can't keep track. His soon to be ex-wife is a longtime friend of my wife, and we both wondered why she married him in the first place. I had the pleasure of hearing a couple of monologues from him about how bad he was getting screwed on the sale of the house they built. I made a couple of trips to the Scratch Gravel Hills to take Finn for a hike instead of saying what I really wanted to.

It only takes one to end a marriage & 2 to keep it. Doesn't matter how much one tries if the other doesn't.
I get that too, but there's a lot of strife in a relationship, where if one person wanted to concede their pride, and their desires, and there wishes, that union would last. But I get what you're saying, if one person wants out, it's over.

So many possible meanings... Do you mean she was well-suited to long-distance? Shoulders sloped at an efficient angle? Often seen in close proximity to flat brim hats? Hits harder than you'd think from such a small package?
Not sure about any of that but she can kill an elk for sure!

Growing up and into young adulthood, I was fortunate to have been related to and been around some of the old Lutheran farming families of German descent scattered around west-central Texas. Listening to to those folks talk about getting married at 16, working a 160 acre farm, going off to war, hunting squirrels and rabbits to stay fed when times were lean; it never really occurred to me until later, but it seemed that folks from that culture and generation, divorce simply didn't entered into their thinking.

Those were some interesting people. Tougher than hell, but some of the kindest most hospitable folks you'd ever want to know. They're all pretty much gone now, but one regret I have is I wish I'd taken the time to sit down and interview some aunt's, uncle's, and their neighbors, and write down thier stories. They came up in a different world.
Brian, by chance was it the Rhineland community west and a little south of Seymour?

Brian, by chance was it the Rhineland community west and a little south of Seymour?
No. Probably not that German. I grew up in Eastland County. Most of the old farmsteads were owned by folks of German descent, but like Montana, the Wilkes Bros have actually bought up a lot of it in recent years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back