Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Corner Crossing Referendum Filed

it will probably stop just a little past putting ladders over your house to get to the post office...

Think of the potential income you could make by selling coffee to the people accessing the post office via the ladder over your house. Progress is a beautiful thing.

shoots, was not shooting for points.... was attempting to make some think of a point of view other than their own. I have heard and understand the corner hopping argument from both sides.... the a frame ladder walk-way plan to access checkerboard lands is not a bad idea...until someone puts one over the top of my house to get to the post office.... where does it stop once it starts is all I ask.

IMG_1421.JPG

"Eric, this was not your finest hour. Terrible delivery, terrible planning, and terrible execution. You get zero points".

However, the post was worthy of the bestowal of a new hat.......

hat.jpg

shoots, was not shooting for points.... was attempting to make some think of a point of view other than their own. I have heard and understand the corner hopping argument from both sides.... the a frame ladder walk-way plan to access checkerboard lands is not a bad idea...until someone puts one over the top of my house to get to the post office.... where does it stop once it starts is all I ask.

It stops when common sense is no longer being used. An A-frame ladder over a property corner in the middle of remote Montana cannot be compared to a ladder over a house. Let's call a spade a spade and say that landowners who aggressively go after corner crossing aren't too worried about their own property, they are worried about the public accessing public property and thereby ending their (landowner) reign over that piece of public ground.

It stops when common sense is no longer being used. An A-frame ladder over a property corner in the middle of remote Montana cannot be compared to a ladder over a house. Let's call a spade a spade and say that landowners who aggressively go after corner crossing aren't too worried about their own property, they are worried about the public accessing public property and thereby ending their (landowner) reign over that piece of public ground.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner winner! Now stop that common sense talk.

I have always struggled wrapping my head around why people would argue against being able to corner cross. When kids ride their bike across the corner of my lawn onto my sidewalk I have zero problem with it. Then people try to make the argument I would be violating "airspace"... give me a break.

Nobody has answered the question, where will it stop.... a ladder over the house is not acceptable to the home owner, just as a ladder in a remote corner is not be acceptable to many landowners. The proprietor of the ox being gored is the one least happy about it.

... a ladder in a remote corner is not be acceptable to many landowners. The proprietor of the ox being gored is the one least happy about it.
That is a great point. It is unacceptable for public landowners to see private landowners and their lessees cross the ladder onto public owned lands ... while the public is not allowed the same access to their own lands. Similarly, it is the "proprietor of the ox being gored" (the ox being public lands owned by the public proprietor) who is least happy about it and thus is continually attempting to resolve the dispute by proposing remedies fair and just for the private landowner AND the public landowner.

Eric, haven't you been paying attention? Sen. Fielder says the up-and-coming threat is jet packs.

Nobody has answered the question, where will it stop.... a ladder over the house is not acceptable to the home owner, just as a ladder in a remote corner is not be acceptable to many landowners. The proprietor of the ox being gored is the one least happy about it.

There are fence crossings like this all over the east coast where trespassing laws are different... same thing with Europe. The ladder is not a big deal it's just a way to allow people to jump the fence without damaging it and causing a constant headache to the landowner. I think this part of the argument gets way over blown, in say WY antelope unit 25 where randy recently did a video about accessing public land in a "very little public land exists unit" 4-5 specific corner crossing corridors would likely provide all the necessary access. I'm sure an organization like BHA or just your average Joe would be willing to work with the landowner on specific crossings to erect something that would be agreeable to both parties. I know that if a landowner was willing to let people cross his corner in Unit 25 I would be 100% willing to take a day or 2 out of my hunt and build a safe same ladder, and to make a sign designating this as the access point and denoting that you need to stay off the adjacent properties.

corner.jpg

Last edited:
I find many landowners to be hypocrites. They want to squabble over violated air space but want everyone to turn a blind eye when their fence line wanders over onto public land by a few inches here and there. Erecting a permanent structure on USFS and BLM lands is illegal but we all have the common sense to cut the landowners some slack. It is not unreasonable for them to cut the public some slack and allow corner crossing.

The ladders will protect their fences from damage. The cost to locate, mark and install crossing will happily be born by various sportsman groups.

We all know what the real issue is and others have nailed it. They don't want to give up control of what they view as de facto private land by virtue of their exclusive access.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back