Copper or Lead (Poll)

Lead or Copper

• Total voters
I've shot only shot a couple of animals with Barnes TSX (.338, 210 gr) but have been impressed / surprised with the lower bloodshot qualities. Small sample size, but it's my leading thought.

I have so many boxes of Partitions though - and loads all worked up. I might re-work some of my 300WM loads because the Tikka has not been picky on bullets. But my .308 loves 180 gr PPt Partitions and nothing else I've tried.

Other guns I am starting to do some development on will be using all copper (.243 and 6.5X55). I'll be evaluating Hammer's for those.

I've shot only shot a couple of animals with Barnes TSX (.338, 210 gr) but have been impressed / surprised with the lower bloodshot qualities. Small sample size, but it's my leading thought.

I have so many boxes of Partitions though - and loads all worked up. I might re-work some of my 300WM loads because the Tikka has not been picky on bullets. But my .308 loves 180 gr PPt Partitions and nothing else I've tried.

Other guns I am starting to do some development on will be using all copper (.243 and 6.5X55). I'll be evaluating Hammer's for those.
You'll love the Hammers.

I've switched over to non-toxic in most ways. The reduced load for my kids' .308 is still lead, but I'm thinking about working one up with the 130 ttsx instead. My two hunting rifles are now shooting 168 ttsx's in the 30-06 and 140 E-tips in the 7mm-08. I'm still shooting lead for grouse and turkeys, but I'm starting to think about it more...

Decided to go lead free last year with the shotguns, moved to strictly bismuth because my guns are old, not suitable for steel.

2020 is the year I’m going to switch to copper for rifle bullets. So far pleased with the 6.5 Barnes 120’s in the .264 Win Mag. Just need to work on some for my son’s .280 Remington.

My decision is two-fold; less waste and risk of eating lead, and for the helpful scavengers who feast on the remains.

Forced to use lead in commifornia so I use lighter for caliber GMX, or Barnes because I found out the hard way that lead free stuff needs to be screaming, at least for deer. When I’m lucky enough to draw out of state I use traditional ammunition

Copper for hunting with rifle or handgun. And lead for target shooting with both. Jacketed lead hollowpoints in my EDC gun.

Copper or Lead? I shoot whichever is most accurate in my rifle. I use copper (Barnes TSX and TTSX) for hunting in my .300 Wby and .35 RUM, Jacketed copper over lead for all of my practice and target shooting and for hunting with my other rifles, and cast lead for all of my pistol shooting (practice, target, and hunting).

I've always cast my own pistol bullets, and since the mid '80s I've dropped my own shotgun shot. From the early '80s through the late '90s I was heavy into ATA Trap and NSSA Skeet competitions, and all together I figure that I have cast/dropped over 8 tons of lead bullets and shot. I used to cast/drop everything from used lead wheel weights, but now my primary source of lead is from the dirt berms at our local rifle and pistol range.

Usually copper for the big stuff out of my 338 and plain lead bullets out of my 300 mag for deer

Hunt with steel in my shotguns, and with copper TTSX in my .308. The bullets that work for me are a bit heavier- 165/168gr. The 150gr I tried just wouldn't group worth a damn.

But range time is all lead, with one or two hunting rounds to check zero- I'm not made of money.

Besides the whole lead toxic thing, are there any advantages to switching? I am a Nosler guy for rifle bullets and have good partition and accubond loads for my hunting rifles. Is there any other advantages to switching to etips?

Shooting lead core for now, both target & hunting.

I want to try the bullets from Cutting Edge, but i haven't gotten a significant enough raise to comfortably afford them.

I am trying Hammers, Barnes and E-tips in load development for new rifles I pick up. If they work great, if not I will try something else that until I find that load I am looking for. I am not switching over from lead in proven, accurate loads I have already developed though.

I hunt with one gun, my .300WM. Years ago I worked up loads for 165g Nosler Interlock and 180g AccuBond. I now use almost exclusively the AccuBonds.
I will never be able to shoot as well as my rifle. In all likelihood these loads will see me through the end of my hunting career. Someone already said if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back