Copper or Lead (Poll)

Lead or Copper

• Total voters
I haven’t shot anything copper just because of what I already have and I have had really good experience with AccuBonds since making that move. I am considering trying out some e-tips or ttsx in my 260 since I don’t have anything for it yet.

I like bonded core bullets - Accubonds, Interbonds, Federal TBTs. I tend to use the one that shoots best in a given rifle. But, I've been experimenting with Barnes TTSX in my .270s and have been pretty impressed so far.

I haven’t shot anything copper just because of what I already have and I have had really good experience with AccuBonds since making that move. I am considering trying out some e-tips or ttsx in my 260 since I don’t have anything for it yet.

I started with coreloks (terrible), then bergers (did like not either), then Swift A-frames (loved), then partitions (meh...), now I'm using E-tips. I feel like I'm getting equivalent performance with Etips as A-frames.

I will probably switch over to all non-toxic for hunting (mostly), not sure about Turkey or upland.

I started with coreloks (terrible), then bergers (did like not either), then Swift A-frames (loved), then partitions (meh...), now I'm using E-tips. I feel like I'm getting equivalent performance with Etips as A-frames.

I will probably switch over to all non-toxic for hunting (mostly), not sure about Turkey or upland.
what didn't you like about the partitions? A very loved bullet> sorta like the standard in the industry

what didn't you like about the partitions? A very loved bullet> sorta like the standard in the industry

I wasn't getting quite as tight of groups as I did with the A-frames or etips, (etips better than A-frames) and I wasn't getting as good of penetration.

Anecdotal with a tiny sample size; 1 bear 2 elk 2 muley 2 pronghorn 2 caribou in 2017-18. Felt like I had to take more follow up shots, when I did the necropsy the first shots seemed like they either should have done the job or would have if penetration had been better. eg I took 2 shots on the bear, the first hit the front shoulder and then I believe only hit one lung and stopped. I had an A-frame go through both shoulders of an elk. I switched to E-tips last year and I felt like they preformed better on a bear-elk- muley last season.

Like I said not scientific at all, 100% could have just been me sucking at shooting, and being an incompetent handloader. It was easier for me to get E-tips and A-frames to group well, which is not to say partitions in capable hands could not have been made to group just as well.

Plus like they have this cool little green tip thing and green is one of my top 10 favorite colors... so like I have that going for me now.

I've been using lead based bullets for the past decade, mostly Partitions and Scenars. Boys have used Fusions and Hornady XTP. All of done what I expected them to.

Might try some copper in the boys 243 for deer if I can locate the equipment and work up a load with the 70gr Hammers. Did flirt with some Barnes in the 30-06 some time back, shooting a couple of pronghorn with them. They worked too.

Upland I use lead except where non-toxic is mandated and there I use Bismuth.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back