Copper or Lead (Poll)

Lead or Copper

• Total voters
@Laddbra1 dont hold further back. Hold 1/3 of the way up the body cavity and directly in line with the middle or between the front legs. You’ll get good blood trails, but it will be irrelevant because they’ll fall within steps of where you hit them.

Besides the whole lead toxic thing, are there any advantages to switching? I am a Nosler guy for rifle bullets and have good partition and accubond loads for my hunting rifles. Is there any other advantages to switching to etips?

Yes- much more consistent terminal performance and greater weight retention than even high end bonded lead bullets. This video does a great job of showing the differences in a scientific, unbiased manner.

Think it's telling that only 2.3% answered "switched back to lead after trying copper."

I answered “switched back to lead after trying copper,” but that is only partly true. I will likely use up all of the TTSXs and TSXs that I have, but I like the shock factor that bonded lead bullets give in bringing down game fast, while also providing a large and reliable exit wound. NABs have long been my favorites.

I started the switch to copper after my daughter found a leaf fragment on some ground venison spaghetti, and I kinda freaked out about it. Started buying all-copper bullets after that. After a little bit of calming down and research, I came to realize that the human body is at risk to very small lead particles that can be taken up through absorption or inhalation, but the larger pieces pass through the body. People lived on small game and birds laced with lead shot for many generations before me.

I switched back mostly, but will still occasionally use monos. I really like cast bullets too, but that’s a whole ‘nother story

I shot 175 gr Sierra game kings for many years and then found something changed and the bullets broke up on impact in my 7RM. I changed to Hornady Interlocks, slowed them down to control bloodshot, and have had very consistant mushrooming without lead fragmenting.

My partner changed to 220 gr interlocks in his 300 win mag for the same reasons. We normally have shots under 200yds in heavy cover.

For waterfowl, I have used federal steel T shot on geese and #4 buckshot heavyshot where needed with very good success.

I don't see the lead issue as a concern.

I'll probably give copper a try when I've shot up my lead. I hope they don't outlaw lead round balls though.

Copper. TTSX and LRX.

Mix of steel and lead for upland game. Depends upon which state I'm in.

Probably going to all Nosler E-Tips this year, mostly because of how well they perform in my 7mm-08 and I am thinking this will be a year with a mantra of "One Season, One Rifle." That rifle will be my new 7mm-08.
Randy I caught the mention of your NEW 7mm-08. What can you tell us about the new rifle. Curious minds would like to know.

The Hammers seem to have quite the following here and it looks like some impressive performance. I might need to try the 143 Hammer Hunter in my new .280 just to see what all the fuss is about.

Montana company. What's not to like? mtmuley
Seems like almost everyone gets some impressive velocity and accuracy with them, and supposedly great terminal performance. Do you find their twist recommendations to be accurate? My 700 has a 1:9.25”, which is listed as the recommended minimum for the 143.

Seems like almost everyone gets some impressive velocity and accuracy with them, and supposedly great terminal performance. Do you find their twist recommendations to be accurate? My 700 has a 1:9.25”, which is listed as the recommended minimum for the 143.
Yep. Follow the twist recommendations. If you have any questions, Steve will pick up the phone. For the most part, I've followed what he says. I did however get the 199's in .30 to shoot in my 10 twist. mtmuley

Second the recommendation to call Steve. I shoot the 136 grainers out of my .280. RL16, MV at 3150.

Yep. Follow the twist recommendations. If you have any questions, Steve will pick up the phone. For the most part, I've followed what he says. I did however get the 199's in .30 to shoot in my 10 twist. mtmuley
Appreciate the advice from you and JLS. Just got off the phone and Steve didn’t think I would have any stability issues. A box of the 143 Hunters is on the way, I’m excited to see how they perform. Probably try H4831 and RL16 to start with, my rifle seems to like both.

Appreciate the advice from you and JLS. Just got off the phone and Steve didn’t think I would have any stability issues. A box of the 143 Hunters is on the way, I’m excited to see how they perform. Probably try H4831 and RL16 to start with, my rifle seems to like both.
One thing I really appreciate about Steve is the real world testing. Last year I talked to him about the 143 and he felt the Remington 1:9.25" twist rate was too slow for the bullet. Obviously he has confirmed it's good. I think you'll like these bullets.

One thing I really appreciate about Steve is the real world testing. Last year I talked to him about the 143 and he felt the Remington 1:9.25" twist rate was too slow for the bullet. Obviously he has confirmed it's good. I think you'll like these bullets.
It’s pretty cool to call a local company and talk to the owner about any of your questions. I’ll post results, hopefully in the form of a nice bear.

It’s pretty cool to call a local company and talk to the owner about any of your questions. I’ll post results, hopefully in the form of a nice bear.
Looking forward to the photos. I'm still waiting for Idaho to resume NR sales. Looks like the end of May is potentially the green light.

Back