Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Conflicting emotions

dcopas78

Well in a way today has been the best of days and the worst of days.

Earlier today, my last 40 acres of private land access for whitetail hunting disappeared, today being the day before the opener. Apparently the land owner is intent on getting the big buck I posted pictures of a few months ago and decided that he no longer wanted dad and I to hunt any of his land. It is land I grew up having free range on, over 500 acres that I know like the back of my hand, and that I have hunted my whole life. It is a disappointment, especially since we have mowed, kept trespassers at bay and whatnot for the last few years. But, it is his land and he has a right to do as he chooses. I don't really blame him considering how large some of the deer are running the farm.

Here comes the conflicting part:

Dad basically met the landowner about 8-9 years ago when he showed up wanting to buy land in the area. Dad suggested that he get in touch with the previous owner, a deal was struck and he was the new land owner. Dad and he have became good friends. Needless to say, the fella has plenty of spending money. He's actually a multi-millionaire and owns many businesses and other properties, but a real down to earth type guy.

As he was telling dad that we could no longer hunt this land, he made an astounding jester of friendship to dad. We have never been wealthy, but we manage to take a trip every year, DIY style partly because it is what we can afford. Anyways, this guy has offered to lease a neighboring property (about 95 acres) for dad and I to hunt, and that we could do as we please (food plots and such) on.

He also wants dad to get an elk because he knows we have hunted hard the last few years (Montana/New Mexico) without being able to seal the deal on an elk for dad. He has offered to pay for me and dad to go on a guided New Mexico elk hunt.....literal mind-blowing type of situation when I heard this come out of dad's mouth.

Herein lies the rub:
I have always dreamed of dad and I harvesting our bulls through the sweat of our own brow. It comes down to not being given anything in my life and not knowing how to handle this I think. I know that this, although not a guarantee, is the closest thing to being a sure bet to getting dad his elk that I've seen. I'm conflicted....I wanted it to be something dad and I accomplished, but at 71, I know dad isn't going to have too many years of DIY style hunting left. I'm thinking of just letting him pay for dads and me just tagging along to be with dad as he hopefully pulls the trigger on his first bull. Am I crazy for not wanting the guided hunt for myself? I have nothing against a guided hunt, but it just isn't how I envisioned ever bagging a bull for myself. Should I suck up the public-land, DIY pride and just do it?

Personally I think that's an offer I couldn't pass, same boat enjoy the diy not very interested in the guided type hunts. But the memory's made on that hunt could possibly overweigh the pride

Even on a guided hunt there will be plenty of work to get one killed, go on the hunt and make some awesome memories!

It might be worth a shot just to give something a try (guided hunt) that you might never do again. You will probably learn a thing or two from the guides that will help on your future DIY hunts and the elk meat will still taste great. Ask your dad what he wants to do. If he doesn't really want to do it and neither do you, don't. If he's excited at the idea, my vote would be to go for it and focus on enjoying your time.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am a firm believer in pursuing things the way you want to and not pursuing things in a manner that doesn't agree with you. But nobody can decide this one for you. It really has to be your choice. The only two things that would concern me is declining the opportunity without making your benefactor feel snubbed or more importantly having your dad feel like taking an elk under this arrangement is less than.

What a great guy he is, very generous.

Regarding his offer, never look a gift horse in the mouth, i would be on that offer like a rat up a drain pipe!

Cheers

Richard

Guides can tell the difference between hard working hunters and guys that wouldn't do it without a guide. If you're mentally engaged in whats happening on the hunt, its not much different than diy, you just have a buddy who knows the land. If its a good outfit, you will have fun.

Even on a Guided Hunt you get what you put into it. Most times it is the willingness of the Hunter to go the extra step that makes a Guided Hunt work. Good luck with your Lease! John

Probly some elk hunts on NM you can buy that don't require a guide. Doesn't NM sell landowner tags? Personally, I wouldn't care for the guided hunt. mtmuley

I'd say do it for the time with your dad, and also for a different reason, - I'm sure you want more than anything to get back into that private whitetail land by home. (I'm in a very similar situation, just haven't gotten booted yet, and dread the day it may come) So I would say do the hunt, and if you can afford it, lease the 95 acres from him and remain friends, just every now and then when the time is right express your love for the old piece that you grew up hunting. My guess is that in time the fella will either kill the big buck you mentioned or get his fill of humble pie by not shooting a big one and he will eventually let you back in. Best wishes!!

No way I'd interject any negativity if my father wanted to do it. Easy call, if he want's to go. Rare offer and opportunity.

You may want to think of it this way, if you have had issues being successful in one area, go on the guided hunt and think of it as a advanced schooling. Learn something from the guide and be very thankful to the friend that made the offer. What an unusual gift. Good luck.
Rusty

I would do it, and here's why...

A couple of years ago, Hunting Husband and his dad broke down and paid for a guided moose hunt in Canada. A moose was the one North American game animal my FIL had never had a chance to hunt and he wanted to do it while he was able. Neither of them were super thrilled with a guided hunt, but it was the only thing really feasible for them at the time. They went, and both harvested nice moose. They both came back pretty happy with the experience. Being hard-hunting DIYers definitely gave them an edge when it came time for the outfitter to pick places to take them. Overall they were happy with the experience.

The next year, my FIL finally drew his Montana moose tag and they thought "Damn! Shouldn't have paid for that hunt". Then one summer day we got a phone call - my FIL passed away unexpectedly. Turns out that guided Canada moose hunt was the only moose hunt he ever had, and it was the last hunt they did together.

Do it while you can, because you don't know how many you have left.

I would do it, and here's why...

A couple of years ago, Hunting Husband and his dad broke down and paid for a guided moose hunt in Canada. A moose was the one North American game animal my FIL had never had a chance to hunt and he wanted to do it while he was able. Neither of them were super thrilled with a guided hunt, but it was the only thing really feasible for them at the time. They went, and both harvested nice moose. They both came back pretty happy with the experience. Being hard-hunting DIYers definitely gave them an edge when it came time for the outfitter to pick places to take them. Overall they were happy with the experience.

The next year, my FIL finally drew his Montana moose tag and they thought "Damn! Shouldn't have paid for that hunt". Then one summer day we got a phone call - my FIL passed away unexpectedly. Turns out that guided Canada moose hunt was the only moose hunt he ever had, and it was the last hunt they did together.

Do it while you can, because you don't know how many you have left.
This! I did not include my dad much in my hunting plans when I lived West as he wasn't able to do it how I wanted to do it. On Thanksgiving he had been gone 8 years to the day. I am pretty sure that you two will remember that hunt, guided or not, forever.

Sounds like a pretty stand up guy and good luck on the new lease.

Who says you can't do both?

Take advantage of this generous gift, which for many is more than once in a lifetime. Go hunting with your dad! If there is one thing I hear more than anything else from "older" hunters it is the desire to have hunted more with their fathers while they were still here.

Then, continue your DIY pursuits for as long as you can. Just because you take this fellow up on his offer doesn't exclude you from keeping after it on public lands DIY.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back