Conflicting emotions

....and seeing how long it takes the average GOOD DIY hunter to fill their 1st elk tag,of any kind,it makes sense to go get on one guided or semi-guided hunt under your belt if you can.
I know this is contradictory to what most folks here think,but the truth hurts.
Elk are not deer and much tougher to hunt if you have never gone.

You can get a good semi guided or guided hunt in a good area of NM for about $3500 still.

Do it while you can, because you don't know how many you have left.

Read this 100 times before you make a decision.

Pride is fools gold. If you won't enjoy the guided hunt, don't do it. Just make sure you are making the right choice for the right reasons.

I'd pass on both the land and the hunt. Personal pride wouldn't allow me to accept a gift if I couldn't receprocate the same.

I think the landowner treated your dad with respect. No, on the leased land. He doesn't owe you that.

Hell yes, on the guided hunt. Leave it up to you dad to fulfill the tag.

It is all up to your dad. His decision.

The landowner treated your dad with respect and made a great offer!

Last edited:
I would do it for the reasons above but would add this little bit....do your research on the guide/outfitter and make sure that they are willing to treat you like the hunters you are and don't treat you like a fancy pants soft wannabe. In other words, you want a guide who will treat you like a buddy and discuss decisions with you.

Thanks everyone. Now that I have had some time to think about it, I too think it is a no brainer. I don't think any hunt with dad could ever be a bad hunt. It isn't so much that I wouldn't enjoy the hunt, I am just not used to having someone do something like this. It's that old Appalachian hillbilly blood that doesnt like to accept anything from someone, but appreciates it when I get it.

I'd go for it. It would be a great learning opportunity for future DIY hunts. Also, accepting a gift is a way to allow somebody else to feel good about giving...can't look at it only from the receiving end. I know I enjoy giving.

Uhhh, take the gift and don't look back. Research the type of hunt that is most appealing to you. I didn't read anywhere that it had to be a road hunt or done over a feeder. Elk are large animals, you'll have the opportunity to get as sweaty as you want if you knock one done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back