Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Pronghorn

Oak

Expert
I headed out yesterday to try to find some antelope. I had waited a few days to avoid the opening weekend crowd, but ended up with lousy weather. Upper 30's and drizzle the whole night before the hunt....making most of the roads impassable. I drove around where I could and didn't see much interesting. At around 11am I decided to fill my doe tag when a good opportunity presented itself (read: she was close to the road :D ). I snuck out behind a farmer's equipment quonset and rested on the back tire of one of his tractors.:rolleyes: Even 250 yards was too far to drag her in that mud. Every step I was trying to shake off 10-15 pounds of mud off my boots.

CODoe_original.jpg

Later in the afternoon I braved the gumbo and headed out to an area I hadn't checked yet. I spotted a decent buck about 3/4 mile away, bedded with two other bucks and 8-10 does. I put a plan together and strapped on the backpack. As I got to the area they had been bedded, I couldn't find them. I bumped into another small bunch of 5 bucks, and as I followed them on my hands and knees trying not to spook them, they joined the original herd, which had fed over the next ridge. I realized that one of the new bucks looked a little better than the one I was after, which turned out to be bad for him.;) Pictures, caping, quartering, and then a heavy pack back to the truck. The pics leave something to be desired, but it's hard to do by yourself. I made a better shot on the buck than it looks, but full speed while bleeding out makes a mess.

COAntBuck1_original.jpg

COAntBuck3_original.jpg

Great buck Oak. He's got the classic heart shape as good as it gets. Got to love wheat field mud once the freeze and thaw cycle begins on it. Its a workout to say the least.

looks heavy.
whats it score....80?
nice buck, congrats.

Congrats! Something about backpack pronghorn hunting just seems fun... ;)

Man, you have a lot of antelope to eat this year, sorry about that! :D

Congrat's Oak, looks like your kicking a$$ on the antelope this year. Looks like a real nice buck let us know what he scores if you would. Thanks,

schelmster

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back