Colorado non-resident price increase

Oak

Expert
As part of the annual price adjustment based on the Consumer Price Index, CO Parks and Wildlife are proposing to increase non-resident fees as follows:

Elk, bear, and mountain lion - to $575 from $550
Deer and Pronghorn - to $345 from $330
Bighorn sheep, goat and moose - to $1,915 from $1,840
Desert bighorn sheep - to $1,275 from $1,230

Someday its going to be like $5000 to $10,000 for a NR sheep tag in some state....and they will still have more demand than supply. Sad really.

Oak, did res fees go up any?

Are you kidding? :eek:

They made non-res fees tied to the CPI a few years ago, after they had the huge price increase that pissed everyone off (after no increase for 10+ years). They figure a few dollars a year is easier to swallow than a $100+ jump. Keep in mind that non-resident fees have dropped 2 of those years since the change, but of course they always go up in the end.

FWIW, I think residents are getting bargain basement prices.

FWIW, I think residents are getting bargain basement prices.

I dont think we get a bargain price when you compare how much we pay for a deer tag compared to someone that lives back East.

I have an old Army buddy, and for him a Resident Texas license is only $25 and he can shoot 4 Whitetail & 1 Mule Deer and a couple turkey on it with a 4 month season. I pay $31 plus $10 for habitat stamp for one deer and only a one week season!

I dont think we get a bargain price when you compare how much we pay for a deer tag compared to someone that lives back East.

I have an old Army buddy, and for him a Resident Texas license is only $25 and he can shoot 4 Whitetail & 1 Mule Deer and a couple turkey on it with a 4 month season. I pay $31 plus $10 for habitat stamp for one deer and only a one week season!

Would you rather hunt in Colorado or Texas? :D

We pay $46 for an elk tag and $31 for a deer tag.

AZ residents pay $121.50 for an elk and $42.25 for deer, plus the $32.25 hunting license.

UT residents pay $45 for general elk, up to $508 for premium limited entry elk, and $35 for general deer, up to $163 for premium limited entry deer.

Nevada residents pay $120 for elk and $30 for deer, plus the $33 hunting license.

Colorado residents would still be getting a good deal if they doubled our fees, IMO.

Man, am I glad I live in Montana!

Sportsman with Bear $85.00. Includes conservation, deer, elk, bear, state lands, upland bird (excluding turkey) & season fishing.

AZ residents pay $121.50 for an elk and $42.25 for deer, plus the $32.25 hunting license.

UT residents pay $45 for general elk, up to $508 for premium limited entry elk, and $35 for general deer, up to $163 for premium limited entry deer.

Nevada residents pay $120 for elk and $30 for deer, plus the $33 hunting license.

Colorado residents would still be getting a good deal if they doubled our fees, IMO.

Speaking of Resident rip-offs, have you seen what we have to pay in MT....wait, never mind.:W:

Your comparing us to other western states where I compared us to eastern states which far out-number western states, but if you want to compare CO to other western states, thrown in the R/NR tag ratio's as well with the price difference. And you DID FORGET Montana & Wyoming and I know why LOL!!!!!!!.

When compared to the majority of other States, we do pay a lot more to hunt.

While we don't have any elk, mulie or antelope, you can purchase a sportsmans license for the year which includes 6 deer, 2 turkey, bear, boar, all small game, all fishing except coastal (15.00) and trapping is separate too. All this for $40.00
Now that I've reached 65 yrs. old, all I pay is a ONE TIME fee of $30.00 for the remainder of my natural life. That includes all the Sportsman privileges as well as the coastal fishing. Since I don't trap, that leaves me buying a migratory waterfowl stamp annually and that's it. That leaves me money to buy the occasional comparatively exorbitant western non-resident tag. Not really complaining, mind you, but it sure does take a chunk out of the retirement fund when rolling in the travel expenses, lodging, extra equipment, etc., etc., etc.. I'll be thinking of you guys out there this winter when you're crotch deep in snow and I'm fishing.

Your comparing us to other western states where I compared us to eastern states which far out-number western states, but if you want to compare CO to other western states, thrown in the R/NR tag ratio's as well with the price difference. And you DID FORGET Montana & Wyoming and I know why LOL!!!!!!!.

Comparing western states to eastern states is like apples and oranges. And yes, I intentionally skipped the "resident ripoff" states of MT and WY. Did you ever think about the fact that maybe CO would have R/NR tag ratios similar to other states if the cheapskate residents paid more?

I think a fair resident price structure for western states would be to charge about 20% of what non-residents are charged in the same state.

Comparing western states to eastern states is like apples and oranges. And yes, I intentionally skipped the "resident ripoff" states of MT and WY. Did you ever think about the fact that maybe CO would have R/NR tag ratios similar to other states if the cheapskate residents paid more?

I think a fair resident price structure for western states would be to charge about 20% of what non-residents are charged in the same state.

Boy I know where a few really pissed off residents would be located in the westren states after a move like this.....:eek: That would put an elk/deer tag in MT. around owwww say
$195.00 for a resident with the new rip off rate they have goin on there.... Just sayin is the hunting really that good:confused:

Not to mention we (AZ residents) are on a draw for those tags ($7.50 fee x each app = ~$45 more) and no OTC for elk, only archery for deer.

I put together a little cost analysis of how much I could save on hunting if we moved to CO. My wife was shocked but wants to move closer to the ocean, not farther away.

I guess it comes down to where your focus is and what you prefer to hunt. Myself, I'd be ALL over a $46 elk tag and scoop up any extra cow tags DOW wanted to sell as well. The short deer season in CO is a bummer (1 week in AZ too for rifle) but that's probably why CO has so many great mule deer behind every tree.

Last edited:
Boy I know where a few really pissed off residents would be located in the westren states after a move like this.....:eek: That would put an elk/deer tag in MT. around owwww say
$195.00 for a resident with the new rip off rate they have goin on there.... Just sayin is the hunting really that good:confused:

Its really pretty simple, either you stay home, or you pay. The states don't have any problems selling tags at the current prices, demand far out paces supply. I'd pay twice what MT charges, same with CO, and any other western state for that matter. Not a lot of elk and muledeer running around in Alaska, or 'back east'. Course, the markup for permits here in AK between res/nr is way higher than any other state so I could afford it.

Last edited:
This thread is a real winner...someone in support of, and encouraging these increases in fees. Really? Unreal. Suppose you support paying more for gas too. You 'think a fair resident price structure'...bla bla bla. I say, stop thinking so much, and go into politics.

Please tell me you are joking about being put off by the prices you pay. Anything under $100 (for a R) for an elk tag or a deer tag in ANY western state is dirt cheap IMO. Any R complaining about tag costs in CO needs to be slapped.

Not saying I'm in favor of paying more, just saying that I'd gladly pay more for the opportunity to go, like thousands others. You live there and obviously take it for granted.

Cry all you want about how 'expensive' your tags are. Your 'tank of gas' analogy applies the other way around too. I'd be willing to bet you spend 3-4x as much on gas hunting elk for a weekend than your elk tag cost you. Should the opprotunity be free? Who pays to manage the wildlife? The entitlement mentality is something that I never understood. Like welfare.

The one thing I don't understand is how short sighted and selfish so many hunters are. They want it all for free and then bitch when they have to shell out the price of a good dinner for a years worth of dinners. Thats the 'real winner' of this thread.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back