Colorado non-resident price increase

Please tell me you are joking about being put off by the prices you pay. Anything under $100 (for a R) for an elk tag or a deer tag in ANY western state is dirt cheap IMO. Any R complaining about tag costs in CO needs to be slapped.

No, jlmatthwe usually complains about to many NR hunters and overall hunter crowding.

Its really pretty simple, either you stay home, or you pay. The states don't have any problems selling tags at the current prices, demand far out paces supply. I'd pay twice what MT charges, same with CO, and any other western state for that matter. Not a lot of elk and muledeer running around in Alaska, or 'back east'. Course, the markup for permits here in AK between res/nr is way higher than any other state so I could afford it.

The east is quickly changing though Bambi I believe that demand is slowly shrinking I have a herd of 10,000-12,000 head of elk within a one hour drive from my house here in Virginia with the KY. elk herd and Virginia is stocking them as we speak. I am thinking in 10 more years ppl from the east will not pay those high prices being raised every year and it appears MT. just about out priced thier tags this year a lot of ppl didn't put in because of it. They still have NR tags left quite a few I hear.

The east is quickly changing though Bambi I believe that demand is slowly shrinking I have a herd of 10,000-12,000 head of elk within a one hour drive from my house here in Virginia with the KY. elk herd and Virginia is stocking them as we speak. I am thinking in 10 more years ppl from the east will not pay those high prices being raised every year and it appears MT. just about out priced thier tags this year a lot of ppl didn't put in because of it. They still have NR tags left quite a few I hear.

There maybe some truth to that, but people come out west for more than elk meat. I

do think it would be pretty sweet to hunt elk in VA or KY one day though.

Your right Bambi I would die for some of that moose meat..... My lips are smacking now as I type this or better yet some sheep meat.. LOL:rolleyes:

Please tell me you are joking about being put off by the prices you pay. Anything under $100 (for a R) for an elk tag or a deer tag in ANY western state is dirt cheap IMO. Any R complaining about tag costs in CO needs to be slapped.

I'm curious to know why a deer in CO or anyother western state holds more value than a deer in Minnesota? Why is it OK for you to pay only $26 to hunt deer, but we're suppose to pay more?

And yes I think crowding is a problem here.

I'm curious to know why a deer in CO or anyother western state holds more value than a deer in Minnesota? Why is it OK for you to pay only $26 to hunt deer, but we're suppose to pay more?

Supply and demand. Minnesota sold 800,000 deer licenses in 2009. Colorado had 88,000 available the same year.

I'm not a fan of controlling hunter numbers by pricing, but I do believe hunters should pay their way.

And yes I think crowding is a problem here.

I think $26 is too low here as well. We arent funded by NRs (no real reason for them to hunt here) though so maybe we don't need to raise prices

I think $26 is too low here as well. We arent funded by NRs (no real reason for them to hunt here) though so maybe we don't need to raise prices

I would love to hunt there, or Wisconsin, or Michigan and maybe someday I will ;)

I just think that Resident tags should be cheap wherever folks live. We shouldnt be pricing folks out of the sport, especially on the local level. As for Nonresident, hunting out of state for the most part is a bonus hunt in addition to their local hunts

IMO I would rather see Nonresidents limited by a quota cap (20%) vs price here. $550+ is too much IMO for an Elk tag and it is pricing some folks out of the game

Now Matthew is talking some common sense and something like the 20% and limit on pricing sounds right. I mean how much does it cost the state to feed that elk anyway and raise it.... LOL We should charge the wolves since they eat so many in 3 states.

If I remember correctly, I believe that question has been asked somewhere before.:D:D:D

Tom is dang near impossible to plagiarize but I think brownbear pretty much rang the bell.:D

....both make good points IMO.

I would love to hunt there, or Wisconsin, or Michigan and maybe someday I will ;)

I just think that Resident tags should be cheap wherever folks live. We shouldnt be pricing folks out of the sport, especially on the local level. As for Nonresident, hunting out of state for the most part is a bonus hunt in addition to their local hunts

IMO I would rather see Nonresidents limited by a quota cap (20%) vs price here. $550+ is too much IMO for an Elk tag and it is pricing some folks out of the game
So, it's okay to limit opportunity on a larger scale?? :confused: Similarly, if you limit the NRs to 20% and lower the price you will have to increase R costs by a WHOLE lot to make up the difference. Seems like you're wanting a free lunch...

So, it's okay to limit opportunity on a larger scale?? :confused: Similarly, if you limit the NRs to 20% and lower the price you will have to increase R costs by a WHOLE lot to make up the difference. Seems like you're wanting a free lunch...

Answer me how other western state's can do it with half the DOW budget? I dont just go spouting of my emotions, and fall hook line and sinker that the DOW is broke like most do without ever having seen the DOW budget. Deer & Elk management account for 3% of the DOW's budget. The biggest expense for the DOW is the fishing program which operates at a loss. Perhaps we need to increase in fishing license price.

How much does it cost you in Indiana? Why should a deer tag cost more for me or any other Coloradoan? Is Colorado spending more annually (Approx $1 million) on Deer Management than Indiana or anyother state? Supply and Demand theory doesnt jive because its a public resource not private goods for sale

I know we all have our opinions, I'm just curious to know why some folks think its OK for some states to have license's for 5+ deer for $20 but I'm not paying enough at $31 for one tag

It costs me $24 per tag in Indiana. I can only shoot one buck, but have to buy seperate tags to hunt for that one buck in archery and firearms. So, if I don't get one in archery to hunt with a gun it costs me another $24. The reason is costs you more deals solely with the expense of the DOW. There is little to no management required for whitetails in IN and yet last year was a record harvest of more than 130,000 deer being taken by hunters. That is not the case in western states, especially with the situation with mule deer herds. They need help and lots of it and guess what, that costs money. I personally agree with the systems currently in place. I think the fees for residents are more than fair. If you can't afford $36 a year for a deer tag, I would say that you have larger financial issues to deal with.

If the fishing program is operating at a loss, I'd say that license prices do need to be increased. My guess is that deer and elk proceeds are being funneled that way. That and paying for the advertising blitz they've put all over the TV and magazines to get folks to CO to hunt elk...

I'm not saying the cost of the deer tag is too high, I just dont understand why folks say I dont pay enough when they pay a lesser amount to hunt deer where they live.

Again our DOW's budget is larger than most other western states twice over. I agree that more needs to be done to help our deer herd, but Deer management statewide is only 1% of the DOW's budget and thats mainly for aerial counts.

oh' well... good hunting this fall :D

For what it's worth, after listening to the commission meeting today I think that if non-residents opposed to an increase really hammered on the commissioners in the next month, you might see the prices remain the same.

Maybe people will quit going to colorado hunting? I haven't been for 5 years and don't see my self ever going back. I have been buying points for Wyoming and looking at a couple other states. I got tired of colorado jacking their prices all the time, and seeing alot of hunters when I was hunting. There will still be people go to Colorado with over the counter elk tags because some people are too lazy to take the time and fiil out app's to draw.

As a MN Resident I don't think a $25 increase in an elk tag is going to matter. Actually kind of glad there are a few states that let us NR enjoy them annually. When you look at the total cost of a hunt that small increase will not amount to near as much as a 10 cent increase in the cost of gas. To me, I am not paying the NR elk tag fee for the elk, it is for the opportunity and experience to hunt something I can not hunt in my home state.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back