CO Estimated Harvest Stats are up

• Thread starter Deleted member 52847
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52847

I have probably been surveyed on less than 25% of the tags I've had since 2001. I do not understand why reporting isn't mandatory here. What am I missing? What would it hurt to have more accurate estimates??

I've gotten 4 surveys in 7 years as a resident. 2 were for the only 2 times I burned points, the third was a 1st rifle elk with only about 10 resident tags out of 100 bull tags and the 4th was a bear tag I never had time to hunt and responded as did not hunt. All three I filled the tags.

Cpw probably thinks I'm a great hunter, but I've only filled about 50% of my elk tags, 20% of deer and 0% of pronghorn.

I don't trust their estimates much

Imagine how accurate it might be if everyone who bought a tag in the unit got the automated survey email.
Or were forced to report before applying again like in NM.

It seems like they survey a pretty high percentage of hunters. I bet their numbers are more accurate than most people here seem to think.
From the small sample size of just this thread it's looking like they survey maybe 25% of people. We have different definitions of what high percentage means.

It seems like they survey a pretty high percentage of hunters. I bet their numbers are more accurate than most people here seem to think.

DAU wise the harvest estimates are probably fairly accurate.

unit wise, hard to be super certain.

units like 12 are probably fairly accurate based on sheer volume of hunters resulting in a higher percentage of surveys being sent to unit 12 hunters compared to units with fewer hunters.... i would suspect 🤷‍♂️

Imagine how accurate it might be if everyone who bought a tag in the unit got the automated survey email.
Probably slightly more accurate, perhaps substantially so for hunt codes with very few tags, but for the most part, I doubt that it’s far enough off to be meaningful.

That said, it seems like it could be automated quite cheaply. I wonder if they feel like hunters are less likely to lie if they’re talking to a real person over the phone? If that was the case, it might be more accurate to survey a suitable percentage of hunters rather than get a high percentage of deception. I’m not saying CPW has considered that, or even that it would work that way. Just a thought.

DAU wise the harvest estimates are probably fairly accurate.

unit wise, hard to be super certain.

units like 12 are probably fairly accurate based on sheer volume of hunters resulting in a higher percentage of surveys being sent to unit 12 hunters compared to units with fewer hunters.... i would suspect 🤷‍♂️
Hunt codes with fewer tags would definitely need a higher percentage of hunters to be surveyed to be accurate. Does CPW publish how they decide who/how many to survey? It would be cool if CPW surveyed most or all hunters in mow tag units.

Or were forced to report before applying again like in NM.

From the small sample size of just this thread it's looking like they survey maybe 25% of people. We have different definitions of what high percentage means.
For the purposes of determining harvest stats , 25% seems almost excessive for some of the units with abundant tags. This thread doesn’t represent survey percentage by unit. If they survey 10% in high tag units, and 50% in low tag units, I bet their numbers are quite accurate.

How do they handle hunters who were part of a group application? Do they ask how many were in their party and how each member of the party did? If so, there’s a high likelihood that CPW gets more data than would be suggested simply by the number of hunters surveyed.

No doubt it seems easy to survey everyone if the system was automated. I don’t know if CPW has evaluated the likely hood of deception in an automated survey vs a real person on the phone, or how that would turn out. Either way, I wouldn’t totally dump on CPW’s numbers, but I wouldn’t bet my life on the either. Most likely they are reasonably close.

I wouldn’t pick a unit with 14% harvest success over one with 13%.

Hunt codes with fewer tags would definitely need a higher percentage of hunters to be surveyed to be accurate. Does CPW publish how they decide who/how many to survey? It would be cool if CPW surveyed most or all hunters in mow tag units.

Pretty sure it’s random. Which is why on a dau level they get a good representation. But units then suffer

Pretty sure it’s random. Which is why on a dau level they get a good representation. But units then suffer
But is the number of hunters surveyed in each unit random? Is it a fixed percentage? Do low tag units get a higher percentage?

But is the number of hunters surveyed in each unit random? Is it a fixed percentage? Do low tag units get a higher percentage?

I actually don’t know on what level it’s randomized. I’m guessing it’s CID number or hunt code.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back