MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado 2nd Draw license lists are posted

MANY of these tags are not “scraps”….they are tags that should have went for several points (and did) and there is literally thousands of them.

A bunch of those tags should be torching someone’s points getting those point holders out of the system. But instead they are allowed to turn them back in and then they go to a secondary draw.

I do have a bit of heartburn with the “dad tags” but my problem mainly lies with the guys turning them back in and getting their points restored and maintaining their place in line. That pisses me off.
Reading between the lines here "several" points, I'm going to use the R value for points and we will call it 2 3 or 4 preference points. I think most folks would agree 2 is not several but we will use it for this case

2023 secondary draw quota tags worth 2 to 4 R points

Deer 150 tags
Pronghorn 12 tags
Elk 106 tags

2023 secondary draw quota tags worth (several) 3 to 4 R points

Deer 18 tags

Pronghorn 9 tags

Elk 46 tags

Youth only get antlerless preference in the primary draw. In the Secondary draw, Essentially we're giving youth a chance at about 75 quality antlered tags, statewide, at an average of 30% odds if they put it first choice in the secondary draw. Before theyre 18 they'll get 1 or 2 quality antlered hunt tags from secondary draw.

Last edited:
They also changed the return policy after 2021. Where you can get a refund and your points back, the "surrender deadline" is the name they coined it. One pont folks seem to forget is anyone that returns a tag is now a year behind on preference points from where they were. They don't get this year's point, they just get to keep whatever points they had.

I'm fine with all of the above, and the state makes more money, I assume, off the additional application fees etc. Although it wouldn't shock me if they somehow bumble around and lose money on the additional application fees.

Which is why I would like to know who is turning the tags back in. Is it people who are sitting at 15 points in no-mans land or is it someone who literally has 3 4 or 5 points and just didnt want the tag or couldnt afford it.

Are there people with 15 points who are applying for these 2-3-4 point tags and turning them back in just to give their kids a shot at the tag in the secondary draw? Only a report on who is applying could actually tell....We will never see that though.

Example A.

I would love to know if they guys with 14, 15, and 16 points turned that tag back in as soon as they drew it....

1.JPG

Reading between the lines here "several" points, I'm going to use the R value for points and we will call it 2 3 or 4 preference points. I think most folks would agree 2 is not several but we will use it for this case

2023 secondary draw quota tags worth 2 to 4 R points

Deer 150 tags
Pronghorn 12 tags
Elk 106 tags

2023 secondary draw quota tags worth (several) 3 to 4 R points

Deer 18 tags

Pronghorn 9 tags

Elk 46 tags

Youth only get antlerless preference in the primary draw. In the Secondary draw, Essentially we're giving youth a chance at about 75 quality antlered tags, statewide, at an average of 30% odds if they put it first choice in the secondary draw. Before theyre 18 they'll get 1 or 2 quality antlered hunt tags from secondary draw.
Not to mention there isn't a R v. NR allocation for these tags.

I'm not sure why a NR youth from Florida should have draw preference over a R from CO. I'd be less cranky if it was CO R Youth only.

I'm not sure why a NR youth from Florida should have draw preference over a R from CO. I'd be less cranky if it was CO R Youth only.
Poor kid already has to live in Florida how much more suffering you want?

Just a joke my fellow Florida hunt talkers don't sic your swamp lizards on me.

Yes buzz the entire internet knows your always right...
Those reasons are legit and hard to achieve not just a whim like other states.
Not hard to do at all. I had the paperwork in 2 minutes last year that would have allowed me to reserve my moose tag due to a health issue last year. Randys uncle reserved an elk tag. Had another ungrateful NR reach out and reserved 2 tags.

It is pretty unlikely that the people that are turning these tags back in (within a week of drawing them) are turning them in due to an illness.

It's more likely that they are either:

A: Playing the system.
Or
B: They can't afford the tag.
In Colorado maybe, not Wyoming

I have seen in almost every instance that preference is given in the secondary draw to R youth. Seems to me that's how it happens....

Coincidence? I think not. There is some kind of preference being given to R youth from what I can tell.

And for the record, I'm fine with that if that's how it is. I could care less. I am only concerned about the tags ending up on the secondary list in the first place.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

^^^

LOL Get real dude. Break them down one by one.

Nobody is that lucky. Or should I say unlucky.

Last edited:
I have seen in almost every instance that preference is given in the secondary draw to R youth. Seems to me that's how it happens....

Coincidence? I think not. There is some kind of preference being given to R youth from what I can tell.

And for the record, I'm fine with that if that's how it is. I could care less. I am only concerned about the tags ending up on the secondary list in the first place.

View attachment 280666

View attachment 280667

View attachment 280668

View attachment 280669

View attachment 280670

View attachment 280671
🤷‍♂️
1687293446010.png

Draw Success rate data is conveniently placed right at the top of the PDF

Elk
Screenshot_20230620_161614_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Deer
Screenshot_20230620_162256_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Pronghorn
Screenshot_20230620_162343_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It's a fair assumption the NRs are shooting for the moon? First through 4th choice all high quality tags? That would explain the larger delta between post draw success and the first choice success r to nr. What kids gonna drive halfway across the country to come deal a dirt nap to a doe?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_162343_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_162343_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back