Caution Warning: Racism #huntingwhileblack

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened is some racist jackwagon played it loud enough that someone else didn't have a choice but to hear it.
I get that, and I've repeatedly stated that things like that shouldn't happen. I really don't understand the disagreement over that. Because there isn't any. Literally not one post in this entire thread supporting what was done. Maybe he could've called the cops on him for harassment or something. My point is that this circus where people in the thread seem to be competing for how strongly they can condemn this is toxic and unproductive. Everyone condemns it here, obviously. Acting like you or I or our community is somehow responsible for it is toxic, completely wrong and unproductive. It seems that when something like this happens, you always get the guys that exploit the occasion to prove to everyone how not racist they are. If Mr. Music Man was here tryign to defend his actions than yes, that's where my criticism would be. But he's not and instead you have a group of people trying to elevate themselves over everyone else due to their higher sense of outrage. Racism is bad, everyone here agrees. Exploiting anecdotes of racism as opportunities to condemn everyone and throw collective guilt around is bad too. It begins and ends at personal responsibility.

Oh so we are pretending the intent isn't to destroy the immigrant communities, I see. sorry for the confusion.
I am not pretending anything (and I am pro-immigration, it made this country what it is) but genocide is a very big word that I prefer not get thrown around to address other (even if bad) activities. Genocide is typically measured in purposely causing hundreds of thousands/millions of deaths in a "short" time horizon for the purpose of eliminating the whole (or most of) an ethic/religious group. No matter how bad current border concerns may or may not be it not even vaguely in the ballpark.

I have no idea if the tape is 'real" or not and said so to the OP

But just to be clear. Racism and Sexism is alive and well in Canada. I have had hunters refuse to allow a female guide them. We are all alcoholics, ignorant and either sex driven or deprived, depending on the one doing the taunting. It is real. I will admit, that no one, especially one of the taunters, would ever see me cry. but that doesn't mean that the man in the tape had not just reached that point. We find the folks back east to be the worst. The further west one goes the less you hear it. We dont listen to the type of music Ken and April like. Only good Christian music for us, so I have no idea what this bad music thing is all about. In fact there is a law ( unwritten I might add ) that no rap music is allowed north of British Columbia. Coe, Croce, IceCube. ????? Never heard of them :cool:

I feel like, in order to redeem ourselves and this thread, we should let Panda Bear enjoy the exquisite beauty of Jim Croce.

My opinion is based our current political status. How many black people have claimed that they have been offended have made millions from fund me. I also was struck that the victim had enough knowledge to film himself to advance his claims. But, he did not have sufficient savvy to actually record the act happening. How simple to record them doing this and they would have stopped.

I am also struck how heartfelt his claims of pain and crying were. Would any of you filmed themselves crying on camera. I could have felt the pain, but would have never filmed myself doing it.

I do not mess with armed individuals. What idiot would antagonize an armed individual with racial slurs.

My opinion is what it is and not supported by most of the forum, but it is what is.

I have lived in a community that is racist, but never, even close, to what this gentleman was projecting.

I may be wrong, but I do not think so.

I do not believe that if it is on the Internet it is true!

I have the following thoughts:

1. You are basing your opinion on the current political status. The political status of other people doesn't always apply to different people. This is stereotyping.
2. Never would have filmed myself doing it. You are viewing the world through your rose colored glasses. Other's don't think like you and do come to different conclusions. Additionally, his experiences in life may very well lead you to different actions.
3. Idiots antagonizing others who are armed with racial slurs. Again, other people aren't you. It's like those folks that got shot in Wisconsin after attacking a kid with an AR. I sure wouldn't attack an armed person if I can help it, but others would.
4. What this gentleman was projecting. There is a lot of evil in this world. There are a lot of people who will do things you wouldn't. There are plenty of documented examples you can find where way worse has been done than this, in this country. Hell, how is human trafficking a problem in the US? But it is. If you have lived a good life where you aren't exposed to some of these horrors, be thankful. Don't use your experience to de-legitimize someone else's experiences.
5. Don't believe that if it's on the internet it is true. I think you should question what you see/hear especially on the internet. There are people who will lie and make up stories like this for reasons we can't understand. That doesn't mean it's all fake. Given the willingness to film himself, the fact that the meateater crew is going out on this limb, and the fact there is nothing to really say it's not true, I'll open my heart a little and say that maybe this is true. I understand I might be wrong, but I don't see the evidence that it is yet.

I get that, and I've repeatedly stated that things like that shouldn't happen. I really don't understand the disagreement over that. Because there isn't any. Literally not one post in this entire thread supporting what was done. Maybe he could've called the cops on him for harassment or something. My point is that this circus where people in the thread seem to be competing for how strongly they can condemn this is toxic and unproductive. Everyone condemns it here, obviously. Acting like you or I or our community is somehow responsible for it is toxic, completely wrong and unproductive. It seems that when something like this happens, you always get the guys that exploit the occasion to prove to everyone how not racist they are. If Mr. Music Man was here tryign to defend his actions than yes, that's where my criticism would be. But he's not and instead you have a group of people trying to elevate themselves over everyone else due to their higher sense of outrage. Racism is bad, everyone here agrees. Exploiting anecdotes of racism as opportunities to condemn everyone and throw collective guilt around is bad too. It begins and ends at personal responsibility.
You have repeatedly minimized the overt racism in this particular instance and have stated that racists have no political power in this country and that instances like this are rare. This smokescreen is exactly what allows racism to fester in this country in all communities. We as a nation are responsible for allowing racism to continue. We are all guilty. Just because you are not overtly racist doesn't mean you aren't complicit in it's continuing to exist.

I am not pretending anything (and I am pro-immigration, it made this country what it is) but genocide is a very big word that I prefer not get thrown around to address other (even if bad) activities. Genocide is typically measured in purposely causing hundreds of thousands/millions of deaths in a "short" time horizon for the purpose of eliminating the whole (or most of) an ethic/religious group. No matter how bad current border concerns may or may not be it not even vaguely in the ballpark.
It doesn't get used enough.

It doesn't get used enough.
Call me old fashioned, but I like it when words are used correctly. We have different words for different situations - lots of words that can better describe your displeasure with current immigration policy. Picking out a few highly charged words, like "commie", "nazi", "genocide", "violence" and using them too broadly and inaccurately does not improve the quality of discussion or understanding, and does nothing to make progress on the issue because many learn to tune out the hyperbole.

Whenever I hear folks pressing the view that there is no racism left, and what we hear about is just made up for political advantage, I think of a classic scene in Mississippi Burning where the mayor says to the press, "And I'm here to tell ya, our nigras were happy till those beatnik college kids came down here stirrin' things up. Before that, there wasn't anybody complainin'.

Call me old fashioned, but I like it when words are used correctly. We have different words for different situations - lots of words that can better describe your displeasure with current immigration policy. Picking out a few highly charged words, like "commie", "nazi", "genocide", "violence" and using them too broadly and inaccurately does not improve the quality of discussion or understanding, and does nothing to make progress on the issue because many learn to tune out the hyperbole.
I get it, but those folks were going to tune out anything that doesn't fit with their myopic world view anyway. This thread is a good example of just that.

I get it, but those folks were going to tune out anything that doesn't fit with their myopic world view anyway. This thread is a good example of just that.

giphy.gif

Can't believe you listen to stuff like that. Same reason I don't listen to a buch of junk about shooting cops and stuff. To each his own, I guess. Adios on this thread; going nowhere fast.

I can’t listen to David Allen Coe, always found his entire catalogue incredibly boring.

Wheeler Walker Jr is def a guilty pleasure of mine tho, a musical skeleton in the closet. But he’s just a regular degenerate, not a racist degenerate like Coe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back