Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Caution Warning: Racism #huntingwhileblack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idaho extremists are entrenched in Idaho politics. There is currently petitions to recall at least 3 officials for ties with extremists groups.

Even odder are the local GOP folks here in MN that are signalling QAnon allegiances on their facebook pages - We are living in very weird times and I am a man without a party :(

My take on the video is the local assholes don’t like this young man hunting close to them. They use the fact that he’s black as ammo. They would be pricks to anyone who hunted too close to “their “ spot.
I’ve grown up around these redneck assholes my whole life. They hate anyone that is different from them, not from their particular neck of the woods. Unfortunately their not uncommon. Ive run into them north south east and west.

Even odder are the local GOP folks here in MN that are signalling QAnon allegiances on their facebook pages - We are living in very weird times and I am a man without a party :(
Eh the media calls anyone right of Mao far right and everyone is white supremacist to them. I wouldn't put much trust in it. The media labeled the Proud Boys as white supremacists when one of their founders is happily married to a black woman and half of them in LA are Hispanic lol. Also I remember an article from a while ago with the leadership of the 3%'ers talking about being smeared as racists and far right by the media and strongly denying those accusations. The media weaponizes so many of these terms, it's hard to tell what's really going on. I'm not familiar with those other groups but default position is skepticism when journalists start using those terms as pejoratives.

Last edited:
Eh the media calls anyone right of Mao far right and everyone is white supremacist to them. I wouldn't put much trust in it. The media labeled the Proud Boys as white supremacists when one of their founders is happily married to a black woman and half of them in LA are Hispanic lol. Also I remember an article from a while ago with the leadership of the 3%'ers talking about being smeared as racists and far right by the media and strongly denying those accusations. The media weaponizes so many of these terms, it's hard to tell what's really going on. I'm not familiar with those other groups but default position is skepticism when journalists start using those terms as pejoratives.
Not sure what any of that has to do with the QAnon conspiracy silliness, but let's talk more about Sowell :)

Not sure what any of that has to do with the QAnon conspiracy silliness, but let's talk more about Sowell :)
Oops I guess I responded to the wrong post! Yeah nothing haha, QAnon is just a LARP. I don't get why there are a couple comments saying people are surprised this thread is still up, I feel like it's been pretty civil for the most part.

Sowell and Malcolm X believe it or not have both been a strong influence in my understanding of the racial issues faced by the black community today. More of them and their ideas would be so helpful in the problem solving aspect of what's going on right now.

You dont have to live here to see through that.

You dont have to live here to see through that.
3%er's have literally marched alongside BLM so if its a racist group they are doing it wrong:

"Three Percenters walking alongside Black Lives Matter, in communication with local law enforcement. A community together. The moment Rosenbaum says he’d been waiting for.
Although agreeing and committing to help, Rosenbaum said leadership announced a change of heart 12 hours before the chapter was to provide 40 Three Percenters for the march. That was the breaking point. “We honor ourselves and our community by our word,” Rosenbaum says. A handful of members swore to attend the rally anyway, resigning their positions within the group if necessary. “We ended up showing up for the march welcomed with open arms. We did the march route, and when we reached the end of the route for the speakers, there were 20 of my guys, unarmed by request, calm and happy to be there.”

So it sounds like there are new leadership elements in some places that are pulling their chapters the wrong way unfortunately. Would be nice to see more reaching out between these different groups to find common ground.

The group has been trying to rebrand in recent years but it still has the same old membership. Alot of "see we aren't racist anymore" photo op's in the last year.
Did you even read what you quoted?
If 20 members want to the DNC would that make the 3%ers democrats?

They showed up to clan rallies and Neo events but you already have made up your mind on this so..... good day to you sir

The group has been trying to rebrand in recent years but it still has the same old membership. Alot of "see we aren't racist anymore" photo op's in the last year.
Did you even read what you quoted?
If 20 members want to the DNC would that make the 3%ers democrats?

They showed up to clan rallies and Neo events but you already have made up your mind on this so..... good day to you sir
I only know of them from being in the news recently marching with BLM. I also know that it's possible for these groups to evolve, I mean the Klan was the militant arm of the Dems at one point weren't they? Rhetorical, yes they were. The 3%er they quoted seemed like a stand up guy, and I'd have no problem being friends with the 20 other 3%er's that showed up. Maybe you know more about the specific chapters that the ID guys are aligned with, but what remains a fact is the broad brush painting by the media of this entire group as racist should not be accepted at face value.

These fringe groups come and go, morph and change, and disappear and re-form. Different sub-groups have different agendas, a subset of the permanently disaffected seem to move in and out and between them. Too fluid to really declare which stands for what on any given day. The only constant is that they all hate the federal government and some percentage of them are undeniably white supremacists (even if some are not).

Complete and total BS, I will never understand why people act like that. It would be different if it was just a personal problem between 2 individuals that had issues, but even then there is no call for getting race involved. Angers me to no end and makes me want to go hunt with him and my long gun to take care of the "music". Stay strong dude, we aren't all like that.

I haven't watched the video, but I'm sure what's in it is an ugly case of sorry people being racist. That said, I disagree with the statement "the hunting community must change". There is no systemic racism in the hunting community. To say there is is to hang the actions of individuals on a much larger group and is a complete overstatement.

I haven't watched the video, but I'm sure what's in it is an ugly case of sorry people being racist. That said, I disagree with the statement "the hunting community must change". There is no systemic racism in the hunting community. To say there is is to hang the actions of individuals on a much larger group and is a complete overstatement.

Alternate take: Hunters are incredibly generous & thoughtful people who can be at the vanguard of welcoming and encouraging people of color & women to be more involved. Hunt Talk is a prime example of not being the good old boys club and being inviting to women (mostly, let's admit it, we still smell pretty bad and say some dumb things).

The reoccuring theme in this thread has been: Be a good person & don't just be a SJW online. I think the vast majority of hunters are good people. Let's just prove that, and be inviting, kind & thoughtful. I'd also encourage you to watch that town hall. There's a fascinating discussion about how communities of color lack access to green space & water. That's something we as a community can help with, because we're used to finding paths to create access.

i don't think there is wide-spread overt racism in this community, as what was experienced by the poster of the video. Systemic racism is different. It's not about your rank and file being swarmed with purposefully ignorant people. Systemic racism more often takes the shape of a barrier to entry. Whether that barrier is real, or perceived, we should all be looking at the community from an outsiders perspective to try and understand why we dont see more people from different backgrounds. Whether its the local hunting pro shop, or the rod and gun club, I'd venture to guess most people here are not encountering many people who come from different backgrounds (both racially and economically).

There has been pushback from my claim that systemic racism isn't real in America. Most people have some vague idea that they were taught why its real and have never really questioned it. But this is exactly why I say its not real. Its a meaningless term used by people to assume the blame [or more realistically, spread the blame on everyone else not as woke as them] without needing to specifically state why they should. Of course there is good intention behind it, but that doesn't make it valid and doesn't make it helpful. Thomas Sowell has repeatedly taken this position and as one of the foremost economists and thinkers of our times with regards to race relations in America, I feel confident repeating it:

"It does remind me of the propaganda tactics of Joseph Goebbels during the age of the Nazis," Sowell, who is black, told Fox News host Mark Levin on his show, Life, Liberty and Levin, during a Sunday airing. "It's one of many words that I don't think even the people who use it have any clear idea what they're saying. Their purpose served is to have other people cave in."

If you want more of this amazing man here you go, 45 minutes worth of discussion and references to real data:

And as even obvious within this thread, to suggest that systemic racism isn't real in 2020 America brings out the orthodoxy who immediately attempt to marginalize that position without having anything real beyond insults and vague references to past wrongs and definitely make zero attempt to quantify exactly to what degree this unquantifiable term of systemic racism is the issue (but its the biggest issue, they know that for sure!).

From Booker T Washington to Clarence Thomas to Malcolm X to Morgan Freeman to Thomas Sowell there have been many black voices within their community reiterating this idea that the only real and effective way for the black community to improve their position is from within. Its not racist to say that, its not fringe to say that and its not denying past wrongs to say that. What is racist is suggesting that because I'm white, I'm somehow contributing to and responsible for, "systemic racism". What is racist is claiming that because some redneck is playing racist music in bf nowhere, "We [whitey] need to do better". What's racist is thinking that black people are so fragile they can't be expected to participate in society like adults, because whitey just stacked the deck against them.

I treat everyone I meet with respect, every person as a person. I do my best to help my fellow man regardless of color, when I can. This doesn't require me to submit to this cultish and perversely white supremacist idea that the main issue faced by the black community comes from whitey. White supremacist because that position basically tries to elevate white people to the position of savoir, which is obvious folly. I refuse to participate in the game of being assigned some unquantifiable amount of guilt for wrongs that I had zero part in, by [usually] a less educated, less informed - you guessed it! - woke white person who graduated with a degree in journalism and thinks Al Gore invented the internet. As MLK said, "Judged by the content of their character" meanwhile the latest fad is judging by the color of their skin. That's what this systemic racism is about right? If you are white, you are guilty.

Blaming systemic racism doesn't empower black people, it strips them of their agency and ability to help themselves. It makes white people the condescending saviors and black people dependant on whites for how they feel. Empowerment is how we fix this, not making their comfortable existence in our society dependent on coffee shop Karen feeling guilty enough for - again - unquantifiable racism. This is paraphrasing Malcolm X so if you think its racist then you think Malcolm X was a racist too. Be a good person, help those you can of any color and act with respect to those you meet and you make society a better place. This horse has been beaten into diatomaceous earth at this point so congrats to those that made it this far.

Anyone ever notice how people who want to push back against or ignore systemic racism always get hung up on blame and guilt?

Sure, some (a small minority) want to assign blame, but don't let yourself get hung up on that. Most folks who recognize systemic racism would be happy if folks would just acknowledge it and learn to identify it so that hopefully we can get rid of it to the degree that we can.

Of course every individual needs to do their share in making life work for them. Some individuals just have an extra obstacle to deal with. Like I tied your boots together and put 20 lbs of rocks in your pack at the start of a long hike. Sure, if you're super fit then you'll probably catch up anyway. But if all other things are equal, then you'll probably remain behind, through no fault of your own.

One of the biggest issues I see in what some of us call "systemic racism" is the generational wealth issue. The fact that so many people of color were not allowed to own property for so long, or get home loans, or have to pay much higher interest rates, etc. That is a massive burden on an entire group of people that whites simply didn't have to carry. It's not my fault or your fault, but it happened for generations and it directly affects many people's opportunities in this country. Maybe they can't afford to live in safe neighborhoods. Maybe they can't buy enough healthy food. Maybe they can't afford to send their kid to a private school, or home school. Maybe they can't afford a decent college or a four year degree. And you can trace a lot of that back to a lack of generational wealth due to them being denied access to property ownership and lower interest loans.

And that's just one impact. It says nothing about the emotional burden people of color have to carry in this country when so often they look around and see the vast difference in standard of living between people of color and whites.

Things are getting better. Spare me the examples. But can you honestly say everyone is now fully equal and that the laws and policies of the past had no effect on generations of people of color? Really?

I grew up extremely poor, and lived among other extremely poor people. Every day at the end of the bus ride to school, I was reminded how many kids didn't have to deal with poverty or the daily stress and anxiety that goes with it. And yet, I still didn't have to deal with racism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back