Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Caution Warning: Racism #huntingwhileblack

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bobbydean since you asked for a response...you asked if I thought you were a racist. The honest answer is, I don’t know. I don’t know you. I would have to make an awful lot of assumptions about you to come to that conclusion. And I don’t generally find labeling to be useful or helpful in describing the totality of a person.

But I do think too many people lack empathy and have a very hard time comprehending that how each of us experiences life is drastically different. Too many people make excuses or find reasons to dismiss or diminish what others experience.

I’ve seen lots of people claim all this racism stuff is overblown and doesn’t happen, citing lack of concrete “proof”. When someone posts “proof”, or shares their experience, that person’s character and motives are then attacked. I don’t understand why some people are so strongly against even acknowledging this kind of stuff is happening. Given my experiences in this world, I know it does. Things have happened to me. It does not seem far-fetched to me that it happened to him. I have no reason to doubt this particular man. I don’t see what he has to gain by lying. I see lots of people making assumptions about his motives, with no evidence to support those assumptions.

Again, for me it all boils down to two things....Is it right for a human to be treated that way? How would I feel if it was me?
No ifs, ands or buts. Golden rule and all that, which I think most people today have forgotten. I don’t really see the need for much more analysis beyond that. If we can do better, we should.

Viking Guy,

I do not feel that you called me out.

Reasonable question; I hope I answered it.
I appreciate your explanation, but I do not agree that it substitutes for actual facts. "Truthiness" and "fake news" (I use those two terms for both sides of the issues) are of course real issues to be waded through, but there are also tons of truthful and accurate information out there on a myriad of topics. So if you apply your lens that all the internet is fake, then what are you left with? It feels less like you truly believe that every statement on the internet is false, but rather that you cherry pick topics that you have a pre-existing view on and select those topics to disbelieve counter experiences. I think that is unfortunate and is really more "selection bias" than actual assessment.

Racism isn't some sacred cow, it's bigotry like any other bigotry.

Context, context, context. Racial and religious bigotry have a much uglier history (including within our lifetime) than the other more low impact forms you referenced and as such deserve more concern and attention. The real "fake news" is that there is no meaningful racism left in the world.

I don't know of any music that says "I hate...". Plenty of rap stuff about hating white folks, disrespecting women (of any color) and wanting to kill cops (of any color), yeah, but songs about hating black people? Doesn't seem to fit any genre I have ever heard of. Who is recording this, and on which label?

I don't know of any music that says "I hate...". Plenty of rap stuff about hating white folks, disrespecting women (of any color) and wanting to kill cops (of any color), yeah, but songs about hating black people? Doesn't seem to fit any genre I have ever heard of. Who is recording this, and on which label?
Never heard of David Allen Coe? And im sure there's more

Plenty of distribution of Johnny Rebel (Cliff Trahan not David Allan Coe) as well. If that's something you haven't been exposed to consider yourself lucky. I'm sure there is modern stuff that we don't hear on the radio as well. No need for a label to distribute the music anymore with the internet.

Many of my non-white friends have relayed experiences to me similar to what the gentleman in the original post experienced. This is not an isolated incident.

I know Coe because I was a big fan of Steve Goodman and John Prine, and, as I had listened to a couple of his albums, and never heard anything like what you attributed, I did a little checking on this. The "racist" accusation was apparently based on a single line in a single song, on what was a common expression at the time. No fair judging past actions by today's standards. Nothing in his lyrics AFAIK about hating black people.

I know Coe because I was a big fan of Steve Goodman and John Prine, and, as I had listened to a couple of his albums, and never heard anything like what you attributed, I did a little checking on this. The "racist" accusation was apparently based on a single line in a single song, on what was a common expression at the time. No fair judging past actions by today's standards. Nothing in his lyrics AFAIK about hating black people.
He literally has a song called "Ni@@er F-(%er", but I guess my idea of what hate and racism are is a different than yours.

Actually, Ice Cube might win the "most offensive" award. But he was an equal opportunity offender. Men, Women, Christians, Jews, Gay, straight, Black, White, Brown---etc

Although at the time, everyone loved Jim Croce's ---" Bad Bad Leroy Brown"------and---- it was written about his friend in the Army. The song has been tagged racist .

Noharleyet: I wish I was in the hill country of Texas, right now, and listening to some of the music you have in your music vault ----now THAT would be nice. Beautiful country, good music and your company. I am on my way !

P.S. can we invite hunting wife and ask her to bring some of her home made wine ? (-:

Context, context, context. Racial and religious bigotry have a much uglier history (including within our lifetime) than the other more low impact forms you referenced and as such deserve more concern and attention. The real "fake news" is that there is no meaningful racism left in the world.
..... There isn't though. There is zero political or social influence from racists in America. That's just a fact. If you know somewhere this is different, then sue the perpetrators, its an easy win and congrats on the millions. . I also know its true because the demand for racism exceeds the supply, which is why you see these hate hoaxes like Jussie Smollett and that NASCAR dude pop up in the media. That's why you see universities make claims like "We understand there is systemic racism in our institution" and then when the feds come in and threaten to withdraw funding because they are supposedly a bunch of racists, they revise their statement to mean they were "just expressing solidarity" lol. Despite how isolated or not the incident is, the fact remains that people that do this are a fraction within our community, and that fraction holds no influence or power over us or our community. And the idea that we have to somehow assume collective guilt for this, "WE have to do better" is the toxic racist idea. That person playing that music is solely responsible. not me, not you. I feel bad that there are people in the world that think this way. I also realize that there always will be racists of every color just because we are humans. That the "downside" of freedom, people are free to choose to be evil. That is their choice and you and I should not be manipulated into feeling any guilt for it.

BTW didn't we say next time we were just going to talk elk hunting or something? Haha.. I'm trying my first DynaTek Bore Coating on my Tikka 308 today so fingers crossed! Hoping to reduce fouling from copper, i think it's causing some inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Actually, Ice Cube might win the "most offensive" award. But he was an equal opportunity offender. Men, Women, Christians, Jews, Gay, straight, Black, White, Brown---etc

Although at the time, everyone loved Jim Croce's ---" Bad Bad Leroy Brown"------and---- it was written about his friend in the Army. The song has been tagged racist .

Noharleyet: I wish I was in the hill country of Texas, right now, and listening to some of the music you have in your music vault ----now THAT would be nice. Beautiful country, good music and your company. I am on my way !

P.S. can we invite hunting wife and ask her to bring some of her home made wine ? (-:

Wineries are one acre on center in the Hill Country April...good music even closer.

@bobbydean

I agree with you that there is a lot of fake on the internet. However, blanket covering a post with preconceived assumptions doesn’t solve anything.

I doesn’t really matter to me if you don’t believe it. What does bother me is jumping on a soap box and announcing your strong opinions to everyone.

Personally I believe him, but that really doesn’t matter to anyone but me.

Is you posting your opinion here any different than him posting his opinion there? If so how?

Both of you are sharing very personal beliefs to you on the internet looking for support for your position.

My opinion is based our current political status. How many black people have claimed that they have been offended have made millions from fund me. I also was struck that the victim had enough knowledge to film himself to advance his claims. But, he did not have sufficient savvy to actually record the act happening. How simple to record them doing this and they would have stopped.

I am also struck how heartfelt his claims of pain and crying were. Would any of you filmed themselves crying on camera. I could have felt the pain, but would have never filmed myself doing it.

I do not mess with armed individuals. What idiot would antagonize an armed individual with racial slurs.

My opinion is what it is and not supported by most of the forum, but it is what is.

I have lived in a community that is racist, but never, even close, to what this gentleman was projecting.

I may be wrong, but I do not think so.

I do not believe that if it is on the Internet it is true!
Could you please provide one example of a person of color that made millions off of "fund me" after calling out a racist act on social media.

No, it is a reaction that your beliefs are so far from reality that intelligent discussion will serve no useful purpose so why not use a little humor.
Again, sidestepping any possible proof. Weird, if I'm so wrong you'd think you'd have a million examples available to yourself to prove it, and instead you just decide to roll with ad hominems. Actually its not weird, its exactly the reaction I get from people that put too much faith in the media narrative and don't look into data themselves. I'd recommend you do your own research just to get a real idea of whats going on. Or not, cognitive dissidence is a powerful force. Have a good one, I'm going to go back to researching bore coating a rifle.

@bobbydean since you asked for a response...you asked if I thought you were a racist. The honest answer is, I don’t know. I don’t know you. I would have to make an awful lot of assumptions about you to come to that conclusion. And I don’t generally find labeling to be useful or helpful in describing the totality of a person.

But I do think too many people lack empathy and have a very hard time comprehending that how each of us experiences life is drastically different. Too many people make excuses or find reasons to dismiss or diminish what others experience.

I’ve seen lots of people claim all this racism stuff is overblown and doesn’t happen, citing lack of concrete “proof”. When someone posts “proof”, or shares their experience, that person’s character and motives are then attacked. I don’t understand why some people are so strongly against even acknowledging this kind of stuff is happening. Given my experiences in this world, I know it does. Things have happened to me. It does not seem far-fetched to me that it happened to him. I have no reason to doubt this particular man. I don’t see what he has to gain by lying. I see lots of people making assumptions about his motives, with no evidence to support those assumptions.

Again, for me it all boils down to two things....Is it right for a human to be treated that way? How would I feel if it was me?
No ifs, ands or buts. Golden rule and all that, which I think most people today have forgotten. I don’t really see the need for much more analysis beyond that. If we can do better, we should.

I agree and thank you!

Racism and Sexism is alive and well ! Like Hunting Wife I have no way of knowing whether or not that tape is real or not. I certainly have no proof that it is not real. AND, I know from experience that what he said in the tape, does happen! I am not a female of color but went to school with both black and brown skinned individuals. I have dated them. When out on dates I have not only heard the type of comments described in the tape directed at the man I was with but some pretty raw, off color comments directed at me, for being with him. When hunting in Texas with brown skinned men and women I heard a lot of raciest comments. And again sexist comments directed at me because I was with them. I am not whining. I am saying that from first hand experience --it does happen!

The crying part. I will respond to this in two parts. First, the older generation of men in my life would be telling him, "to get a grip" and/or "dont let anyone see you cry". Secondly, "Social Media" It captures everything and is used by everyone, sometimes to express, sometimes to share. If I run into something I dont like I dont respond to it, I just move on.

Again, I agree with Hunting Wife's post but would prefer to be with Noharleyyet and Europe in Texas---with or without them is o.k., especially since I dont even like their choice of music I just want to go home ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back