Bourbon Connoisseurs

VA has lotteries for hard to get bourbons, odds for drawing one of their bottles of pappy are about like getting a sheep tag. Strictly random, no preference points. Haven't had my # called yet...

Also, in spite of a cool logo this whiskey was no bueno.

I like Buffalo Trace or Elmer T Lee if I can find it.

20220308_203044.jpg

That's pretty funny right there! But hey, if that's how ya like it, then I say go for it. I've always hated it when some whiskey snob says you shouldn't add ice, you should drink it neat at room temp etc, etc. I say you do you, I'll do me. It's an individual thing
So, taste buds getting burned are not a consideration no matter the proof? Science is real. Reasoning is optional. I suppose your buddy can stick with the low octane and suffer no loss of taste sensitivity.

I have found that I really enjoy the Weller - I'm looking to try to Antique or 12 year - but the $40 Special Reserve Bottle (green label) in a blind taste it beat several bourbons including my old favorite which was Buffalo Trace.
I also gave it blindly to my Brother in Law who was visiting and he also preferred it to the other Bourbons in the house: Buffalo Trace and Four Roses.

Weller is good stuff.

I've gone through three bottles of Pappy 20, and traded the fourth. I love wheaters and it is very very good, but not worth the price it commands right now. A buddy, who loves wheaters as well turned me on to this bottling of Jeffersons Ocean Special Wheated....we both agree, it's Pappy good.

Be careful with this one depending on year and when they sailed. Can be hit or miss.

My list in order:

Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch
Eagle Rare
Russel Reserve 10 yr
Old Forrrester 1910
Jefferson Reserve
WL Weller
Woodford reserve double oaked
Statesman

Baltons is over hyped cause of a horsey on the bottle. But Buffalo Trace distills, EH, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Stagg (also a good choice), and WL Weller to name a few. Try them all, figure out what you like and then stock up :)

Love me most bourbons.... but the $100 ones are good, $60 taste the same to me.

My favorite is Basil Hayden, but Yellowstone sure does hit the spot. I basically use those on the rocks or making old fashioned. If I am mixing, Jim Beam always hits the spot.

Well this thread cost me. Since it started, I’ve picked up Kirkland Signature Small Batch and a bottle of Old Grand Dad Bonded.

However, probably the best $56 I’ve spent this week. DED828A8-7FCE-48DC-A606-826E11A72F0A.jpeg

If you like talking about whiskies you should give this channel a look see.

I find it entertaining for a variety of reasons...

I was in upstate NY went to get a bottle of Jim at the store they had a taste set up I cant remember the name but the bottle I bought was re-cask for a yr in a sherry barrel and it made a great sippin wiskey
Since found out many are doing it these days im sure many brands that are finished up this way will be very nice too

Be careful with this one depending on year and when they sailed. Can be hit or miss.
The special wheated? I'm almost through my first bottle, and have a second....but guessing they are from the same lot. My buddy who has a much better bourbon palate than me has gone through a case (6) bought in different states as he found it and hasn't noticed any changes. That said, I could see how it could happen depending on the boat, voyage etc.

That double oaked Woodford is my favorite of those mentioned. My favorite off the shelf is a toss up between Woodford and Old forester and maybe Four Roses from time to time.

Pretty sure the Weller and Pappy start out as the same mash. The Weller Special Reserve for $60ish is good stuff too, I try to have a bottle on hand.
If you are ever in Ohio you can get Weller for $24 a bottle. It is my everyday cheap pour. Weller antique is only $47 a bottle

When Buffalo Trace goes to test the barrels of mash for making Pappy's there are those that are rejected due to Ph balance being off, color variation and a number of minor differences. These are then used to make Wellers. Unless you have the greatest discerning bourbon palate in the world I would submit you would never notice the difference between a $1700 of Pappy's and a $25 bottle of Wellers.

A little Buffalo Trace and Willet Old Bardstown tonight, both were good to my palate. Never really been much of a brown liquor guy, but I could get into this bourbon thing. The nuances are interesting.

Buffalo Trace mint julep is a great finish to a summer night.

I'm sharing this in the spirit of good spirits,....

The Grand Prize Winner Will Receive This Complete Dream Collection Total Value ~ $36,000:​

• BUFFALO TRACE O.F.C. 1995 VINTAGE 25-YEAR BOURBON
  • 23-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 20-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 15-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 12-YEAR LOT B
  • 13-YEAR RESERVE RYE
  • 10-YEAR OLD RIP VAN WINKLE
  • WELLER GOLD VEIN 1975 ANTIQUE 107 BOTTLE
  • OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 1971 DECANTER
  • OLD CABIN DUCKS UNLIMITED 1973 DECANTER
  • OLD FITZGERALD 1975 IRISH WISH DECANTER
  • OLD FITZGERALD 1976 BICENTENNIAL DECANTER