Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bourbon Connoisseurs

Rye is not a Bourbon. Rye must be from +51% rye. Bourbon must be from +51% corn. Blade and Bow is a decent Bourbon.
Well, I'm clearly not a connoisseur as I didn't realize that, but that being said Angel's Envy bourbon is just as good, I just prefer their rye. I enjoy the rum flavor notes it has. Nice sipper after dinner.

I'm sharing this in the spirit of good spirits,....

The Grand Prize Winner Will Receive This Complete Dream Collection Total Value ~ $36,000:​

• BUFFALO TRACE O.F.C. 1995 VINTAGE 25-YEAR BOURBON
  • 23-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 20-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 15-YEAR PAPPY VAN WINKLE FAMILY RESERVE
  • 12-YEAR LOT B
  • 13-YEAR RESERVE RYE
  • 10-YEAR OLD RIP VAN WINKLE
  • WELLER GOLD VEIN 1975 ANTIQUE 107 BOTTLE
  • OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 1971 DECANTER
  • OLD CABIN DUCKS UNLIMITED 1973 DECANTER
  • OLD FITZGERALD 1975 IRISH WISH DECANTER
  • OLD FITZGERALD 1976 BICENTENNIAL DECANTER
  • WOODFORD RESERVE DISTILLER'S SELECT - HAND PICKED FOR DUCKS UNLIMITED
  • DUCKS UNLIMITED BARWARE & FLASK
  • DUCKS UNLIMITED STEEL BOX & SHADOW BOX

Winners Announced Monday, August 29th, 2022!​

WELLL NOW! Thats a list.

This is the drink for me. Come to think of it, it's been the same for the last 45 years or so. Here's one I was mixing up while camped at the Ruby marsh campground last week.
IMG_20220702_204626_5.jpg

Jack , Crown and Pendleton are just fine for mixing with Fizzy soda water.....Really that is their slot. Predictable and repeatable. That's why I have them.

But ever since i clicked on the Ducks unlimited bourbon raffle link, I've been getting targeted ads on FB like this....

1657735380297.png

Well folks, last night I checked an item off the bucket list. A took a contractor friend of mine catfishing last night out of appreciation for how much he helped my wife and I through our home build.

I stopped by his house to pick him up on the way to the ramp and he wanted to show me his bourbon collection. It was impressive to say the least. I noticed an Old Van Winkle 12 year Lot B open. I mentioned that I’d never tried any of the Van Winkles and have always wanted to.

Before I can say “no” I look over and there is an ice sphere getting poured over.

I could hardly wait to try it and I took my first sip, and it was…disappointing.

I decided to let it sit, breathe, and cool down…still a bit disappointing.

I decided to give it 10 minutes and let the ice melt a bit….a bit less fire, but still disappointing.

To be fair, I don’t have the most refined bourbon palette, but I’ve been drinking it for 15 years or so. I tried it side by side against my go to - Old Grand Dad Bonded - and I MUCH preferred the OGD.

Just as youth is wasted on the young, apparently $2000 bourbon is wasted on me. CA4886E5-A3AA-4BC3-A318-3410DED42A5C.jpeg

I think I found "my bottle" with Eagle Rare. Found one in South Lake Tahoe a couple weekends ago.

I think I found "my bottle" with Eagle Rare. Found one in South Lake Tahoe a couple weekends ago.
The trouble will be finding another....It used to be my go to as well....

If you are looking for a good options in the $40 range there are plenty. I can get Old Forester 1910 in my area for $42, and it is a dynamite option. Knob Creek 9, 1792 Small Batch, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Michter's American Whiskey (not their bourbon) all punch way above their weight class. All that said Bourbon is very regional, so what I can easily get here in MN, might be tough for you to find

Here are a couple bottles that I have received as gifts, I have not opened them as of yet. 120proof might be excessive.

Attachments

• 8886DCF8-07EA-4B8D-A50D-508ED23B5D23.jpeg
    8886DCF8-07EA-4B8D-A50D-508ED23B5D23.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
We have a local bourbon I like. Breckinridge Bourbon. For a local look at me distillery it’s pretty good. Nothing fancy. I like the Pendleton 1910 Rye whisky.
I bought a bottle of Breckinridge every time I’ve been in Colorado. Oddly enough I found a bottle of it in a little lake town in TX and bought it. It’s pretty good stuff.

When my buds are over there is usually EW single barrel, MM, Buf Trace, Pendleton and Eagle Rare out.
The Pendleton whiskey always gets hit the hardest... maybe out of politeness? 😁
Honestly, I prefer the Pendleton myself.
I also have factory rifles I prefer over my custom and inexpensive guitars I liked better than my Gibsons.
I must not have any "royal blood", lol.

Back