Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bolt action .22 LR recommendation

wolfpup

I am going to buy a bolt action .22 LR to hopefully help my wife practice getting onto target faster and pulling the trigger sooner. We will either shoot targets or prairie dogs. She shoots a Ruger American now and I could get one in .22 LR but wondered if anybody has better experience or suggestions in that same price range? Savages look nice too but I already have a 10/22 so have plenty of magazines. Thoughts ?

Nothing wrong with the American especially if she already has one and they have a reputation for being fairly accurate out of the box.
What scope are you considering for it?

Or, considering that a .22 is a rifle that may be shot far more than any other firearm, and if shooting is also a past time for the sake of shooting and not simply practice for hunting, you might look for something really nice in a .22. What's really nice? Well, that depends.

If it is a gun that she will shoot mostest, make it the bestest.

Yeah the grammar sucks, but not the sediment (or sentiment as the case may be).

The Ruger is a better built piece. Not close. I mean for using and shooting, not always for grouping.

Magazines are huge because of all the reloading you'll do with rimfire. 10/22 mags are much better than Savage.

Browning TBolt is better yet and has the best mags by far. Trigger usually needs a lighter spring tho. And it's not technically a bolt action.

There's also the Steyr Zephyr. I've not even seen one in person. So.

One of the Rugers would be a good choice, as well as CZ or Bergara. Now if you want to go all out, get her a 22 from Vudoo Gun Works, but be ready for some sticker shock.

One son has a 77/22 and the other has a t-bolt. Both are tack drivers and worth the money. I prefer the 77/22 because it feels like a full sized rifle. The t-bolt sure is a sweet fun though.

As an aside, does Ruger currently make the 77/22? I don't think they do.

I am going to buy a bolt action .22 LR to hopefully help my wife practice getting onto target faster and pulling the trigger sooner. We will either shoot targets or prairie dogs. She shoots a Ruger American now and I could get one in .22 LR but wondered if anybody has better experience or suggestions in that same price range? Savages look nice too but I already have a 10/22 so have plenty of magazines. Thoughts ?
I have a Ruger American Rimfire .22lr and it is one of my favorite guns. It's threaded and wears my suppressor. She's got thousands of rounds through her and has killed everything from european starlings to coyotes from 5- 150 yards. The fit, finish, and especially the bluing is top notch- much nicer that the standard American rifles in my opinion and a great buy for the money.

I bought a 77/22 for my daughter years ago, I think for $150 or something stupid like that, and now they're $1K used.

Friends have CZs, and they shoot very tight groups.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger American in .22LR. I have them in .22LR & .17 HMR. The plastic stocks suck, but both are very accurate. A Boyd's wood stock would be a nice addition.

I've had a couple Americans, and they are excellent, the mags are head and shoulders above the Savage. I'm currently stuck on the Tikka T1x, its just a superb rimfire. I like everything about it, went out and bought a second one immediately. If you're into weird stuff, I also really love my Tactical Solutions Owyhee, its a blast. Not cheap, and not as precise as the other ones on the market though.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back