PEAX Equipment

Ruger American Ranch .233/ 5.56 Nato

Stubaby

I saw this little gun with the 18" pre-threaded barrel with the brown stock and liked what I saw. I don't own a "black gun", but a bolt action .223 has always been on my list for dogs and dawgs.

I have a Remington SPS in .22-250 with a Nikon monarch scope on it but its not very cheap when at a prairie dog town. I like the weaver-style mounts and the trigger feels good on the Ruger.

Any thoughts one way or the other for a varmint/truck gun? Is getting the nato-.223 in the same gun as a bolt action a bad idea? If I get the .223 ammo, will the dual chambering affect accuracy?

Any better ideas? What would be a good scope for it? Do those Nikon P-223 or M-223 scopes work on a bolt action very well?

Thanks in advance......

I have the ruger American predator is 223 and I really like mine pretty good trigger on them for a stock trigger and it is a nice little truck/ coyote hunting gun I took a look at that ranch version, nice gun I just wanted a little bit of a longer barrel plus the pre threaded barrel is a nice edition if you ever wanna go quiet plus the 223 is cheap I went with a vortex crossfire 4-12 by 44 on it and the coyotes and rockchucks have become very acquainted with the gun

Aren't the predator and the ranch both threaded at the end of the barrels?

I think the Ruger American would be a good choice. I'm not sure you'd notice an accuracy issues with the chamber. I have no experience with Nikon scopes but the reviews on the ones you mention are favorable.

An alternative is to look into the Howa Mini Action. Cabela's is selling them for $350 right now. I bought one a month ago and it's a shooter. I haven't developed loads for it yet but I'm sure it'll be a 1/2 gun fairly easily.

Is getting the nato-.223 in the same gun as a bolt action a bad idea? If I get the .223 ammo, will the dual chambering affect accuracy?

There is no difference between the .223 and the 5.56 NATO other than chamber pressures. Any rifle that is chambered for 5.56 has a longer jump from lands. This allows 5.56 ammunition to be loaded to substantially higher pressures than a rifle chambered for .223. A .223 rifle doesn't have as long a jump, and will build excessive pressure if a 5.56 load is shot from it. Make sense? I doubt it would have much affect on accuracy.

Does the mini have a shorter trigger pull like the ruger compact or is it standard length?

Just be aware that the Ruger American Ranch rifle is a 16" barrel and not 18". Won't matter much for speed, but it'll be loud.

For what you are describing, I'd be more inclined to get the Predator model over the Ranch. In my limited handling of the two, I liked the balance of the Predator better. I'd probably choose either over the Howa due to the barrel twist. As far as scope choice, both those models have target/tactical style turrets on them. For about the same price of the M series you can get into other scopes that have a better reputation and warranty than the Nikon's. The SWFA Super Sniper and Leupold AR series is probably where I'd start looking. IMO, the better move is to make sure the reticle and turrets use the same scale.

Good thread, I've been mulling a 22 cal target/varmint type set up but leaning to the 22-250...the .223 has entered the brainstorm.

mini 14 would be great truck rifle. We have 2. Very reliable and accurate. We have the NRA version and it shoots well. Redfield makes an accu range scope that is great for 223. 4-12 x 40 fits the mini 14 perfectly and is cost effective.

Just be aware that the Ruger American Ranch rifle is a 16" barrel and not 18". Won't matter much for speed, but it'll be loud.

For what you are describing, I'd be more inclined to get the Predator model over the Ranch. In my limited handling of the two, I liked the balance of the Predator better. I'd probably choose either over the Howa due to the barrel twist. As far as scope choice, both those models have target/tactical style turrets on them. For about the same price of the M series you can get into other scopes that have a better reputation and warranty than the Nikon's. The SWFA Super Sniper and Leupold AR series is probably where I'd start looking. IMO, the better move is to make sure the reticle and turrets use the same scale.

I second the SWFA Super Sniper. It is really durable, which is pretty important for a truck gun that will be beat around a bit.

Agreed. I didn't look into barrel lengths on those 2 rifles so a Predator may be a better option. Personally the twist thing is a non-issue with me. If you don't plan on shooting anything bigger than a 69 grain bullet a 1:9 is good enough. If you're not a reloader the availability of ammo is probably 95% 55-62 grain bullets anyway.

man you guys are so much more knowledgeable than me and my pea-brain.

I think I want a relatively short barrel. Mainly for not breaking the buttons and scratching the screen on my dash of my truck when Wiley E. presents himself from the dirt road.

I know that sounds dumb but it happens all the time in rural MT\WY.

Thanks for the input.

Another dumb question.....do those .223 specific scopes that you are referring to for AR platforms work ok on the bolt action rifles?

Another dumb question.....do those .223 specific scopes that you are referring to for AR platforms work ok on the bolt action rifles?

Here's a quote from Leuopold (correction it is from Cabelas):
The Leupold Mark AR illuminated riflescope is ideal for your AR-15, modern sporting or precision bolt-action rifle. The green FireDot® reticle on select models can be illuminated with the push of a button and features six intensity levels. Motion Sensor Technology (MST™) automatically deactivates after five minutes of inactivity to conserve the battery. Multicoat 4® lens coating creates a bright, clear image. Lockable fast-focus eyepiece provides generous eye relief. Elevation dial features bullet-drop compensation calibrated to 55-grain .223/5.56 ballistics. Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Illuminated models run on one CR-2032 coin-cell battery (included). Backed by the Legendary Leupold Full Lifetime Warranty. 1” main-tube construction.

I don't know anything about the SWFA Super Sniper except that a lot of guys that turn turrets like them.

Last edited:
My P-223 works great on my sons Ruger compact .243. You will have no problems out of it. I had it on his rifle for a couple seasons until I could get some money together to buy him his own glass instead of putting a cheap scope on it.

Couldn't resist the brown stock and the shorty threaded barrel. Better get some ammo too before Godzillary sends everything into a tailspin 😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2,499
Couldn't resist the brown stock and the shorty threaded barrel. Better get some ammo too before Godzillary sends everything into a tailspin ��
Nice! That thing is begging for you to put a suppressor on it... ;)

Back