Best .22 cal rifle

LIK2HNT

Looking for opinions on what the best .22 cal. rifle would be. With the high cost of ammo and it being easier to find places to shoot to 50 yards, I am in the need for a good bolt action 22 that feels and handle similar to the full size Rem. 700 & Browning A-bolts my kids shoot. I need to get them more trigger time and practice for quicker set-up on targets for hunting. Accuracy is a must should be able to get 5 shot dime size groups. And I would have to be able to adjust the trigger to between 2 & 3 lbs. This 22 would be scoped and they would be practicing a lot prone w/ bipod, and sitting with and without shooting sticks. I am looking at the Ruger 77/22 and CZ 455 Varmint and was wondering what others would suggest. Thanks for any input.

Bill

I have a couple of CZ 452's and you can't go wrong with them out of the box. I practice for hunting out west off of my sticks and my Harris bi-pod with it all summer. My 77/22 required a trip to the gunsmith to shoot a group even close to what the CZ did without any work. My understanding is that the CZ455 is a good unit also.

I agree with Cushman. My Model 60 is a tack driver, and I love it, but it is an auto-loader. The Ruger is great as it is basically the same size as a Model 77 in centerfire cartridges. I always wanted one of the rimfire bolt guns Remington made for a while. I can't recall the model, and I believe it is no longer made, but it was dimensionally the same size as a centerfire 700. Reviews of accuracy were excellent. I know guys that like CZ rifles, but they have never appealed to me. Savage makes a few bolt .22s also. mtmuley

You could get the rem 5. It's a price point gun so you get price point quality. I agree with the cz option, I believe their firearms are drastically underestimated. The 77/22 is a good option but costly, heavy, and questionable accuracy. Anschutz is another really good option but this one might be for you. If you go price point, it's savage all day long. I to own a few Marlin 60's and think there fun guns, however I don't feel they fit your needs as described. My personal favorite, again one for you, is an old school win 52c.

Well, pulled the plug today and ordered a cz 455 varmint. I was impressed with all the aftermarket items available for this rifle including trigger spring kits. The company also offers replacement barrels and kits to convert it to 17HMR or 22 mag. Lilja also makes custom barrels for this rifle (they cost almost as much as the rifle though). I have a Ruger 77/22 mag, and thought of getting a Green Mtn barrel and convert it, but they no longer offer it. I guess since the newer Ruger 77/22 have threaded barrels their may not be enough demand. I would still like to find a good Sako P94 Varmint and plan to keep looking for one (defiantly not cheep, but seems to be exactly what I am looking for) . Thank for the input everyone. A few days ago my 13 year old shot 2 plus boxes of Federal premium .243, at the cost of ammo and the way he likes to shoot this 22 will soon pay for itself.

Bill

There is best, and there is best within a price range.

I researched this a few years ago looking for a .17hmr, and ended up with a CZ 455.

Good, solid gun that shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards and kills ground squirrels like crazy.
One word of caution, CZ puts their safeties on backwards.

Last edited:
The cool thing about a 10-22 is how many mods and gadgets they make for it.

Currently have a 77/22 in the old boat paddle stock. Bought it new in 92 I think it was, still shoots scary accurate after many thousands of rounds. Took my 13yo nephew out a few weeks ago and with junk ammo he still shot 2 groups of 10 that you could cover with a quarter.

Well, pulled the plug today and ordered a cz 455 varmint. I was impressed with all the aftermarket items available for this rifle including trigger spring kits. The company also offers replacement barrels and kits to convert it to 17HMR or 22 mag. Lilja also makes custom barrels for this rifle (they cost almost as much as the rifle though). I have a Ruger 77/22 mag, and thought of getting a Green Mtn barrel and convert it, but they no longer offer it. I guess since the newer Ruger 77/22 have threaded barrels their may not be enough demand. I would still like to find a good Sako P94 Varmint and plan to keep looking for one (defiantly not cheep, but seems to be exactly what I am looking for) . Thank for the input everyone. A few days ago my 13 year old shot 2 plus boxes of Federal premium .243, at the cost of ammo and the way he likes to shoot this 22 will soon pay for itself.

Bill
Congrats! I'd really like to get a 455 with 22LR and 17HMR barrels.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back