Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Scope for....

Moosie

Grand poopa
... so my boy has a youth rifle and wants to buy him a Good scope. He plans to pull it in a few years when he upgrades guns and wants to do it right the first time. Tasco is No bueno he decided :eek:

Price range he's thinking is $300-$500... ??

I know thats a lot of lawns to be cut this summer but talk to me, what do you guys think ?

both my go to rifles have leupold glass, (nice sponsor plug) and I can't say bad things about them, my wife's 243 single shot has a pentax scope that seems to work really well for her, good eye relief, and I think it was only about 200 bones.

I love my 2.5-8 Leupold VX-III and VX-3's. The 3.5-10 is also a great scope. Both are in that price range, particularly if you watch the used market. Used Leupys are a great deal, if they are priced right, as they stand behind their products.

The B&C Reticle is good for non-turret turners, and work well in hunting applications if you practice with it and get comfortable with its limitations, as well as your own.

SS

Get him into a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. You should be able to pick one up for $399.99. That smaller scope is a perfect fit for a youth rifle, and I can tell you from experience that it is a great match for a lightweight "mountain rifle" for when he grows into an adult size.

Some worry about the smaller objective size, but the light transmission of that model is right up there with the best of them. You don't need as large of an objective lens with the lower magnification scopes (as compared to say a 3.5-10x or 4.5-14x)

My two cents...........

Elkwhisper

Last edited:
Leupold Rifleman is a good choice and on the lower end of your price range. For a few dollars more you could get a Leupold VX-II or III depending on the power and objective lens size. (I was slow to hit the post reply button and see that a couple posts above also recommend the VX-II and III. Great glass!)

Last edited:
Get him into a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. You should be able to pick one up for $399.99. That smaller scope is a perfect fit for a youth rifle, and I can tell you from experience that it is a great match for a lightweight "mountain rifle" for when he grows into an adult size.

Some worry about the smaller objective size, but the light transmission of that model is right up there with the best of them. You don't need as large of an objective lens with the lower magnification scopes (as compared to say a 3.5-10x or 4.5-14x)

My two cents...........

Elkwhisper

I would echo elkwhisper's comments.

I'd second (or third or whatever). I'd also look at the Zeiss Conquest line for that kind of money.

Moosie,
You should seriously go hit the pawn shops. Lots of people have been having to get rid of some good stuff. I have picked up three leupold VariX II 3x9x40 for right at $200 each. THey are almost brand new and those Vari X II scopes are great scopes! I think it would be a fantastic choice for him.

Moosie,
You should seriously go hit the pawn shops. Lots of people have been having to get rid of some good stuff. I have picked up three leupold VariX II 3x9x40 for right at $200 each. THey are almost brand new and those Vari X II scopes are great scopes! I think it would be a fantastic choice for him.

Excellant advice. I found a mint Luepy 4X M8 for $100 a few months ago.

I've also found 700's for well under $200. New stuff generally comes out on Mondays...and the good deals don't last long most times.

He could ask for one of my "slightly used" models that I have sitting around after getting all new stuff for the show last year. They are great 6X Leupolds. It would cost him a lot.......... whatever the postage would be.

He could ask for one of my "slightly used" models that I have sitting around after getting all new stuff for the show last year. They are great 6X Leupolds. It would cost him a lot.......... whatever the postage would be.

Moosie, jump on that'n. Cool gesture Fin.

Moosie..have him call Mrs Fin..I've heard a big shot tv star like him has so much stuff, that every time he goes out of town, his wife sells some, just so she can get in the house, and well, to get even, too.

Big F'er, My son has already gotten hand me down stuff from you a couple times. He thinks you're a stud and appreciates it already and although you might not think thats a lot it is.

I'll give you a call. Sounds like the Price is right up my alley too :D

Way cool!! A great idea is to have an OYOA essay contest for gear give-ways (if possible) for young hunters. I think that'd be a great way to generate some interest in the show/website and to advertise the OYOA philosophy to the younger hunters.

1_pointer, Not to brag... but would my kid be exempt from the contests eventually after he takes the first couple by a landslide ? ;) ;)

Good talking to ya today Fin !! Thanks agan.

Back