Did you shoot your first deer with open sights?

Did you shoot your first deer with open sights?

• Yes and I am over 60 years old

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • No and I am over 60 years old

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Yes and I am 40-60 years old

Votes: 73 31.3%
  • No and I am 40-60 years old

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Yes and I am less than 40 years old

Votes: 35 15.0%
  • No and I am less than 40 years old

Votes: 45 19.3%

• Total voters
I could not afford a scope until I got out of college. Still killed a buck every year starting in 1949. Used a 30-30, 30-40 Kraig, 25-35, and 30/06. Oh, and a 32 Special. Had good luck on a few elk too.

Mine was with a Win 94 30-30,iron sights. 1972.
My uncle Dave had taught me to shoot with his Win. 32/20, and I used his 30/30.
Had it in the leather scabbard tied to my bike. Rode to the forest boundary and hiked up a hill.
Shot a little 3 pointer and dragged it down the hill and put it in the shade.
Walked 1/4 mile to the Nature Center and called David. I had it gutted when he showed up with a pick up and we broke it down in my folks garage.
A year later I was manning a duece and my rifle was a M16.
He gave the 32/20 before he died.
My last remaining uncle gifted me his Marlin 336 in 32-20 recently though I've yet to shoot it. Thought about bloodying it next season.

I shot a doe a few years ago, my first.

I started hunting in my 30's, shot her with a 12ga with bead sight. Honestly a bad shot since she was moving and I was full of adrenaline, but it was quick for her.

I’ve actually killed every deer I’ve ever shot with open sights, except two with a red dot. I shot an elk with a scoped gun but I don’t really count it cause my buddy shot it first and she already was out on her feet before I hit her.

First deer was a scoped .30-30. Second deer was open sights with a side hammer muzzleloader. 3rd deer was open sights with an 8MM Mauser K98 that my friends grandpa had brought back to the US from WWII, from what I was told. He loaned me the gun for one hunt and the next year I bought a Rem 700 .30-06 and slapped a scope on it.

I was going to say I don't remember but think I do. Stationed in Germany I was the unit small arms NCO. had a whole storage bin full of Mi carbines to choose from and sure that probably took down my first deer! Today I need a scope to shoot, 78 yr old eyes ain't what they used to be!

Well, I shot my first deer this year, with a scoped rifle, at 32. Been at it since I turned 30, so definitely an adult onset hunter.

My thoughts on it are that you can make a more precise shot with a scoped rifle, as that crosshair will be smaller than any bead. A more precise shot is a more humane kill, provided you know where to make it.

Insisting that someone use iron sights increases the risk of wounding, I’d think. If that were to happen, that’s not likely to be a great first experience.
I think everyone should start on iron sight's and work their way up to scopes. I've run into a good number of hunter's over the years that have never shot open sight's. Scope goes down and they are pretty much finished!

My 13 yo son shot his first deer, a spike Muley buck, with a muzzleloader this past fall. It had a rear aperture sight with open bead front site. Both my boys were brought up shooting open sight .22lr. I think you learn to be more careful shooters starting that way

My very first deer rifle was a lever action Winchester 30-30. Shot many deer with that before I went to Marine Corps boot camp.

12 ga Mossberg 500 @ 35 yards with rifled slug. In my excitement I missed with the first shot and connected with the second.

I watched my dad shoot every deer I remember ( several) in our backyard in the head. With a .22LR with open sights. Never ever watched one ever take a step.

Clearly I never have nor would I but then I cant shoot like him.

I was with my dad when he shot several deer in the late 1960s. He used a lever action open sight 303 Savage model 99. He bought me a scoped Remington 270 that I got my first buck with in 1974. Dad was really good with his open sight. I would have used his rifle but heck he just bought me that scoped rifle so of course I used it.

Remington 870 with iron sights downed my first whitetail doe. Shooting sabot slugs out of a smooth bore because I didn’t know better. Took 3 seasons on public land to get the first one.

Things have improved over the years.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back