Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Muzzleloader to Buy?- Short Notice

That's a great youtube channel actually. He shoots some really cool rifles and even makes his own cartridges.

I can't tell if Gerald posted in jest or if he was serious but Lyman, Pedersoli, and Investarms (all often marketed under the same name depending on the store) would be tops of the mass produced rifles. I haven't seen many MT muzzleloader season legal rifles on the shelves of the stores I've visited in the last month.

I'm certain that a good chunk of the muzzleloaders that make it out that week will not meet the requirements set and it won't take long for the commission to be like "see the rules are too confusing lets just let them use rifles another week."
I haven’t seen muzzleloading stuff on the shelves, period, for months. I used to be able to buy whatever I needed whenever I wanted, but when I couldn’t find my percussion caps at the beginning of general season, I could not find any locally and the muzzleloading sections I checked were wiped clean. Luckily, I recalled a friend had a muzzleloader and he had extra caps for me.

FYI,
This is a web site for round balls. You can get your ballistics info if you supply size ie: 50 cal-.490 round ball, velocity, sight height, elevation and wind.

I found that if you change the weight to match a 50cal maxi-ball at 370 grains it will give you the numbers but not the BC.

Hopefully this will help some when shooting their traditional muzzle loader.

Dan

Aside from the humored OP, that's good info, Dan. Thanks. (Web app works great, btw)

That's a great youtube channel actually. He shoots some really cool rifles and even makes his own cartridges.

I can't tell if Gerald posted in jest or if he was serious but Lyman, Pedersoli, and Investarms (all often marketed under the same name depending on the store) would be tops of the mass produced rifles. I haven't seen many MT muzzleloader season legal rifles on the shelves of the stores I've visited in the last month.

I'm certain that a good chunk of the muzzleloaders that make it out that week will not meet the requirements set and it won't take long for the commission to be like "see the rules are too confusing lets just let them use rifles another week."

Yeah, I'm a big fan of his channel. Especially the hunting content.

Are we really pretending that FWP isn’t going to extend the rifle season due to low harvest and “landowner intolerance for big game”? They’ve done it before. Look for a press release this week.

Are we really pretending that FWP isn’t going to extend the rifle season due to low harvest and “landowner intolerance for big game”? They’ve done it before. Look for a press release this week.
Late to the party. It already happened in Region 2.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) officials have extended the elk hunting season through January 15, 2021 for holders of certain unfilled, antlerless Elk B Licenses that are valid in portions of west-central Montana, in FWP Region 2.

The Elk B Licenses for which the season is extended are 213-01, 215-02, 217-02, 262-01, 291-03 and 293-01. Hunters were awarded one of these special licenses through a drawing earlier this year, and 262-01 was available over the counter prior to the start of the season. No licenses are available for purchase now.

The license opportunity would have ended at the close of general season on Sunday, Nov. 29 but will be extended by approximately six weeks due to relatively low elk harvest so far in places where elk tend to congregate and cause private land damage over the winter months.

The hunting districts (HDs) where the B Licenses remain valid during the extension are the same districts for which these B Licenses were valid in the general elk season, except for the 262-01 B License. During the general season, the 262-01 B License was valid in multiple HDs, but in the extended season it is valid only in HD 204.

The B Licenses are almost exclusively valid on private lands, and in some cases on adjoining DNRC lands outside the National Forest boundary. DNRC lands within FWP Wildlife Management Areas are specifically closed to the extended elk season. Regulations that governed the use of these Elk B Licenses during the general season will continue to be enforced in the extended season. Hunters, landowners and other interested parties are advised to closely review the 2020 Montana Deer, Elk and Antelope Hunting Regulations for specifics.

The reason for the extension was low elk harvest on private lands during the general hunting season in places where elk numbers are above population objectives and where private land access was available during the general season but the desired harvest wasn’t met. The

decision to extend the elk season for these B License holders was made in accordance with the Administrative Rules of Montana (12.9.1105), which establish criteria that must be met and identify the FWP Director and local Fish and Wildlife Commissioner as the decision-makers.

“Relatively mild weather was a big factor in the low harvest in these areas, and hunter interest fell off when the elk weren’t moving,” said Mike Thompson, FWP Region 2 Wildlife Manager. “By extending the season for Elk B license holders in these areas, hunters will be able to take advantage of elk movements into stored crops and hay as the winter comes on. It will be a help to private landowners and to elk management by putting harvest pressure on elk that are causing problems and by leaving elk on public land alone.”

I think Montana’s preeminent muzzleloader hunter/van driver was selling a couple to fund his move out. May have missed your chance

I’m going to see if Gunwerks can make me a Montana legal version, along with a custom bullet mold to mimic an all lead .50 Berger VLD.

558C5F20-AE6D-4273-AB28-9EDB5F2A3592.png

For those who found a heart condition from the thought of Jeremiah Johnson dashing through the snow on an Uber powered sleigh, take your meds before reading.
Reach out to your archery buffs on boards with organizations that opposed a tweak to their season in favor of extending the hunt beyond general rifle.

For those who found a heart condition from the thought of Jeremiah Johnson dashing through the snow on an Uber powered sleigh, take your meds before reading.
Reach out to your archery buffs on boards with organizations that opposed a tweak to their season in favor of extending the hunt beyond general rifle.

“Anyone who truly knows me knows I’ve been a huge history buff since elementary school,” he said in a recent interview. “… I really liked learning about the extermination of bison and my hope is that we can kill every last elk in Montana.”

I think tweaking the last two weeks of general rifle would have been better for muzzleloader hunters and the deer and elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back