Best Muzzleloader to Buy?- Short Notice

Was in Bob Ward's Hamilton today. Just out of curiosity I asked about muzzleloaders and the stuff to feed them . The guy laughed. Looks like no shortage of opportunists around here anyway. mtmuley

Was in Bob Ward's Hamilton today. Just out of curiosity I asked about muzzleloaders and the stuff to feed them . The guy laughed. Looks like no shortage of opportunists around here anyway. mtmuley
Friend of mine was in there a few days ago. Three guys were hoping to buy everything they needed to gear up.
Seriously hope no first timers get hurt rushing the learning curve.

Friend of mine was in there a few days ago. Three guys were hoping to buy everything they needed to gear up.
Seriously hope no first timers get hurt rushing the learning curve.
I bet a lot of guys still with a tag are loving this. mtmuley

Well, for the first time in nineteen years of hunting MT as a resident, I find myself at the end of eleven weeks of season without having notched a single tag.

Thankfully, I still have late muzzleloader season to get ‘er done.
Anyone got a good suggestion of what muzzleloader I should buy from Cabelas or Walmart? Hopefully something that will be pretty much sighted in from the get go since I don’t have any extra time to practice a lot.

Planning to keep my shots under 200 yards since I will be hunting mostly from my snowmobile on the gated roads.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s suggestions and advice.
😉
Thompson Center Pro Hunter FX
For Traditional T/C Hawken 50 or 54 Cal.

Last edited:
Guys... muzzleloaders have been on the extinct list over the course of Covid as well as powder, and just about anything that goes boom. Not discounting one bit a peaked interest in the mountain/plains "Last Best Place", Montana, though I believe there are other reasons for the low stock of muzzleloaders. I spoke with @BrentD about who to buy a muzzleloader (prior to HB 242) from and I finally found one selling - and when I called, the lady was surprised she had one in stock - went back to check herself.

Montana didn't buy up every flintlock / percussion .54 Lyman High Plains in the nation... before HB 242 was introduced in anticipation such might be brought by Hinkle, contrary to popular belief.

Guys... muzzleloaders have been on the extinct list over the course of Covid as well as powder,

In the last few days, Buffalo Arms, Powder Valley, and some others are reported to have Swiss (best) and/or Schuetzen (good) powder available.

Just an FYI for those in need.

Guys... muzzleloaders have been on the extinct list over the course of Covid as well as powder, and just about anything that goes boom. Not discounting one bit a peaked interest in the mountain/plains "Last Best Place", Montana, though I believe there are other reasons for the low stock of muzzleloaders. I spoke with @BrentD about who to buy a muzzleloader (prior to HB 242) from and I finally found one selling - and when I called, the lady was surprised she had one in stock - went back to check herself.

Montana didn't buy up every flintlock / percussion .54 Lyman High Plains in the nation... before HB 242 was introduced in anticipation such might be brought by Hinkle, contrary to popular belief.
I don't care how many YouTube videos there are on " how to" ....if guys haven't hunted with blackpowder before, they have no business starting two weeks before the season.
But they will.

I don't care how many YouTube videos there are on " how to" ....if guys haven't hunted with blackpowder before, they have no business starting two weeks before the season.
But they will.
Personally, they should have done many things different, as I've expressed in my prior post and others - however, all things said, they should have pushed this for a year and held a "Heritage Muzzleloader" set of classes similar to wolf trapping requirements and those participating paying their stamp for the one week or (9 days) hunt the next year. Hell, based on household income - a class fee to cover the expense beyond the muzzy stamp. If it's a low income person, waive the fee, I don't rightly care though enough to cover the expense of the course.
Would MT residents manage that? Someone's bound to ask, "What about NR's? How the hell they gonna hunt??? huh???" F-ing take the course.

But they will.
I'll disagree here. And I'll offer to coach anyone that wants to try via email if you like. This is not rocket science, but a little help avoiding potholes won't hurt.

I'll disagree here. And I'll offer to coach anyone that wants to try via email if you like. This is not rocket science, but a little help avoiding potholes won't hurt.
Never said it was rocket science.
The process takes significant more time to get dialed in for hunting. Finding proper load, then sighting in is more time than fussing with crosshairs.
Fair amount of cleaning between.
I am not going to encourage hasty preparation for " good enough" results.

I actually sold my muzzle loader this past summer simply because I never shot it much anymore and my only really muzzleloader opportunity had dried up (didn't anticipate MT was going to institute a special season). Anyway, Gerald, you could probably get a hold of something and get it to shoot relatively accurate within 75yds or so if you hurry, but muzzleloader shooting and hunting is kind of a whole other thing of it's own. They're a lot of fun, but a ton of trouble too. I've shot, I think, 3 deer and a rabbit with a muzzleloader. I'm pretty sure that in the field, especially if there is ANY kind of moisture, I've had a misfire or a hangfire about half the time.

I was at the Rocker Range yesterday working on some loads for my 280 AI and my wife's .270. I ran into 2 guys dialing in their smoke poles. One'd had his for years and pretty well knew what he was doing, the other had a brand new Hawken and an old timer friend their teaching him how to use it. He put a pretty good group together at 50yds in between stuck patches and misfires, but seemed pretty excited about it. All I could say was, good luck, bro!

But I have to admit, I'm considering looking into another now that there's actually a season fo it.

I'm just looking forward to spending another ten nights in the wall tent, solo this time. Just can't get enough of that. Possible winter temps with new white stuff would be icing on the cake.

I see it as just an another bonus to spend time in the hills. Went archery-thru-rifle without tagging a critter, same as last year. Notching a tag is low priority but I will not pass up a chance if the opportunity presents itself.

Never said it was rocket science.
The process takes significant more time to get dialed in for hunting. Finding proper load, then sighting in is more time than fussing with crosshairs.
Fair amount of cleaning between.
I am not going to encourage hasty preparation for " good enough" results.
Frankly, it's simpler than centerfires if you ask me. Getting it ready to go might take just one trip to the range. Finding a load is pretty simple. There aren't really that many combinations to test. Adjusting sights is as simple as simple can be. Not like mounting a modern scope.

Cleaning is dead simple. Dihydrogen Oxide does it everytime, but Hydrogen Hydroxide will work in a pinch. And does not take particularly long either. A pipe cleaner or q-tip are nice, but a rod and a jag and some patches will get it done. Anything beats trying to scrub copper out of a bore.

All the potholes are easily avoided with a little help. Beyond that round up ball, patch, and powder are about the only challenges.

I've helped a few with their first rodeo and "good enough" has resulted in dead deer. Elk are simply bigger targets.

The biggest problem might be overcoming imagined obstacles and internet legend.

Back