Being a Man in the Modern World

Honestly, the ability to quickly learn something is probably the most useful skill.
This.

With the help of Google, I can quickly learn (relearn?) how to tie a necktie every few years when I need to wear one.

Wet shave? WTF?????

I wish being a man was as easy as checking arbitrary skills boxes on someone’s list.

Be who God created you to be with the skills and talents he gave you. Don’t apologize to yourself or anyone else for being who you are.

Do the right thing no matter what it costs. Short term loss is a small investment for integrity and peace of mind.

Pick the woman you want to wake up with every day. Make her happy. Meet her needs to be loved and appreciated and she’ll make sure you are satisfied too.

Don’t complain about the things you wish were different. Change them.

Move towards the good in life, not away from the bad.

Own your mistakes and learn from the experience. Don’t accept the blame for the choices other people make even if they try to make it your fault.

Say yes when someone needs you, especially if it is inconvenient.

And to think this whole time I've been trying to be like Canadian figure skater Elizabeth Manley...

Yuck- 100# bails, stacked four high, pulled by an '87 Scottsdale. All I smell is heat, hayfever, and bee stings. A jump in the river will feel good.
It's an 86. Brings back memories of my youth. I normally don't have to touch my hay, but the guy that buys it is in the Bob elk hunting. I gave him a pass. mtmuley

How did you get the baby blue paint job to stick to that truck? I have an 87 4x4 out in the driveway that doesn't have five square feet left on the whole thing. Square balers are almost a collectible these days.
It's been painted once. And it's coming off also. I wanted a muscle car to rebuild, but I think I'm going to wrench on this truck instead. mtmuley

It's an 86. Brings back memories of my youth. I normally don't have to touch my hay, but the guy that buys it is in the Bob elk hunting. I gave him a pass. mtmuley

Dad had an 86. He taught me critical thinking & problem solving by handing me a water pump, 2 end wrenches & a screwdriver then told me to figure it out.

Never had touched a truck before that.

Dad had an 86. He taught me critical thinking & problem solving by handing me a water pump, 2 end wrenches & a screwdriver then told me to figure it out.

Never had touched a truck before that.
This was my father's truck also. Funny thing is, it needs a water pump right now. mtmuley

I saved for the first gun I ever paid for myself by stacking hay for my aunt and uncle for what was probably about $.50 an hour. I still end up doing their hay for them way too often.

It's been painted once. And it's coming off also. I wanted a muscle car to rebuild, but I think I'm going to wrench on this truck instead. mtmuley
I'm looking for a good body. Mine is a bit of a wildcat. V6 4x4 with hubs and standard 4-speed transmission. Great mileage and it will climb a tree in 3rd gear 4x4 low. Mine is also fuel injected. First year for that I think. It's the only vehicle I ever bought new.

Just lost my dad on July 1st. He taught me all I needed to know about being a man. He was tough as nails cowboy but soft as butter with my mom, my sisters and any child. He expected and demanded that we be accountable to make sure any chore we were given was done, the tools were back where they were supposed to be, the vehicle was cleaner than when we took it and fueled for the next person. We learned early that we were expected to pay our own way in the world, respect our elders, not cuss in front of women/girls, offer our seats to anyone who was older than we were. He taught us to work hard and play hard, that loyalty to family was important, that work was a sure fired money making scheme and that small kids were fun to have around because you never knew what they would do or say.

He looms large still in the lives of my brothers and I; as does my grandfather, , They both set high expectations for us to behave, work and act like men.

Nemont

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back