PEAX Equipment

Being a Man in the Modern World

I’m screwed either way. I don’t make enough to hire stuff out and still be able to hunt a lot, but neither am I smart enough that this stuff is easy and without challenges and setbacks.

Last night I found a leak in the pre-existing copper I tied into when I water charges the drain system, so I got to make a hurried run to the big orange box before they closed.

It passed inspection, but man I hate plumbing.
Copper is a pain in the ass for sure. Thank heaven for modern ABS which has sure made most plumbing MUCH easier today than when we were youngsters.

i'm glad i barely know anything about home repair. some of the folks i know that are handy (or try to be) hardly seem to do anything else with their time.
This is one of those things I'm conflicted on but you are right.

I used to have a FIL who was a "DIY on Everything" kind of guy. Shoe his own horses, grow, cut , bale, stack his own hay, rebuild engines, do all his own mechanic work, etc. and every thing was in a state of "half -done" . Drove me crazy. Always had a dozen projects he had to do and despite living 30 minutes from a great general Elk unit, would never take the time to do more than a dayhunt.

I like Randy's quip about "not being too handy" so you have the time to Hunt & Fish more.

i'm glad i barely know anything about home repair. some of the folks i know that are handy (or try to be) hardly seem to do anything else with their time.
I was thinking that when I was looking at that list.

If you don't work in an industry where these "man skills" are a part of your job then you are spending countless hours developing the skill + time on the project yourself.

I’ve spent more time learning plumbing and electrical code than I care to admit.
My father-n-law retired 3 years ago. They decided to build a new house, GC themselves + do as much themselves as possible.

He's a hunting nut.

I think he's hunted 20 days maybe in retirement.

I'll probably end up with like 60 days this year... depends on how things go.

Also they have this massive garden so won't leave most of the summer as not to have it die.... various other house projects.

I was thinking that when I was looking at that list.

If you don't work in an industry where these "man skills" are a part of your job then you are spending countless hours developing the skill + time on the project yourself.

and i've learned a few tricks from my dad, who is quite handy - never did a plumber ever come to our house growing up, installed his own sprinkler system in the not so tiny yard, installs the new toilets, did half the kitchen remodel himself with help from a neighbor who happened to be a contractor, rebuilds his truck engines (not anymore though with the car stuff honestly, he gave up on turning wrenches probably 5 or 6 years ago).

but i'm not handy and i'm sure as hell not gonna try to be. the main take aways from my upbringing watching him do things around the house were the simple preventative things, things you can do to minimize the amount of times you have to call people to fix stuff.

I’m screwed either way. I don’t make enough to hire stuff out and still be able to hunt a lot, but neither am I smart enough that this stuff is easy and without challenges and setbacks.

Last night I found a leak in the pre-existing copper I tied into when I water charges the drain system, so I got to make a hurried run to the big orange box before they closed.

It passed inspection, but man I hate plumbing.
Nothing more gratifying than whipping a job with some unforeseen problems attached. You proved you're too tough for a bunch of tubing to win out. I had to replace the water heater in May as soon as I got home from getting vaxed in Minneapolis. I was stuck in mandatory quarantine after crossing the border so no one could come and do the job. Dragging the old heater up the basement stairs around the landing and out the door without popping a gut in my bulging hernia was quite the trick. That required some manly ingenuity because manly strength was a no go. Getting the new one down into the basement was no less tricky. And of course the old plumbing NEVER matches up to new tank. Funny thing is when the delivery guy showed up at the door all he had was flux that I ordered. Where's the water heater? He gives me the foreman salute (shoulder shrug). Later in the day I get an email to pick up and pay for the water heater at Home Depot curb. But I can't leave the house. After a couple hours on hold I finally talked to a manager and he sent the water heater right over. But it was never paid for! After several failed attempts to get through on the phone I just said screw it, I'll wait till lockdown ends and I can get in the store. More than two months later I showed up at the store the first morning it opened. Paid them $450 for it ... or I would have. The manager was so impressed with my honesty he knocked off fifty bucks. It was the manly thing to do. I don't need anything so badly that I have to steal it ... or let someone get in trouble at work for losing it.

Also they have this massive garden so won't leave most of the summer as not to have it die.... various other house projects.

i get why people have gardens, i do. i mean we're hunters right? gardens are kinda the same thing from a vegetables/food perspective.

but i also don't get it. you can get a gawdamn bushel of tomatoes at costco for like 6 bucks. and in my mind going to costco is far more adventurous and exhilarating anyway

year 1 of home ownership.

Frost-free outdoor faucet starts to leak. Leak originates in the crawl space. All copper plumbing. subfloor is car-decking (so I've since learned). So I go buy some new parts, a torch, and some solder, then grab some old galv flashing to protect the wood, crawl under and go to town.

Did you know you can't solder fittings without flux? I didn't know anything about flux.
Did you know that you shouldn't heat glav because it releases highly toxic fumes?

...when trying to gain man-skills almost burns down your house and likely decreases your life expectancy #winning?

... and in my mind going to costco is far more adventurous and exhilarating anyway
Especially during the summer months when all the well tanned gardening babes are there shopping in spaghetti tops and shorts. And there I am in a raincoat. ... to keep the slobber off my clothes.

Chalk me up as another man not handy at all and proud of it. I work hard at my chosen profession and live Randy’s mantra as best I can. Super low threshold to hire out things. DIY home/ auto projects take away precious time from being with my family and pursuing my hobbies. We live in an era of increasing specialization and I’m fine with that.

Just lost my dad on July 1st. He taught me all I needed to know about being a man. He was tough as nails cowboy but soft as butter with my mom, my sisters and any child. He expected and demanded that we be accountable to make sure any chore we were given was done, the tools were back where they were supposed to be, the vehicle was cleaner than when we took it and fueled for the next person. We learned early that we were expected to pay our own way in the world, respect our elders, not cuss in front of women/girls, offer our seats to anyone who was older than we were. He taught us to work hard and play hard, that loyalty to family was important, that work was a sure fired money making scheme and that small kids were fun to have around because you never knew what they would do or say.

He looms large still in the lives of my brothers and I; as does my grandfather, , They both set high expectations for us to behave, work and act like men.

Nemont

really hitting me with the feels on that one

I still have my dad around thankfully, but he is up there in age now. Grandpa died 8 years ago now and I still haven't quite moved forward from that and I think about him everyday. I spent most of my childhood running around the fields in the ol ford tractor or the baby blue chevy scottsdale with my grandpa taking care of the farm or fishing on the pond out in the back part of the property. Old fart died of a heart attack sitting on his tractor drinking a coffee. Just sitting there looking out into the field, thats a good way for one of the most important people of my life to go.

Sorry ya'll not trying to get all sentimental. that post just brought back some memories suddenly.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back