Being a Man in the Modern World

2rocky

I think those of us who spend time in the outdoors really have a lot of these skills and abilities many other men lack..

Yeah, it's crazy. I had a talk the other day with a gentleman from California who couldn't even grasp the concept of going on a hike. He replied " what do I need to go hiking?" My response was a good pair of shoes and a bottle of water. It's amazing to me how disconnected people are from the "real" world now. I'm relatively young, but I was raised in a hunting family and can go out on my own and haul one back home solo. I think alot of the benefits from being an outdoorsman is overcoming difficult times physically and mentally and adapting to any circumstance. Alot of people don't challenge themselves anymore. Waking up at 4am and hiking your ass up a mountain will really put your small life into perspective.

I wipe my ass from front to back and not the way our public schools are teaching our youth the new politically correct method of back to front.

If that’s the modern world, count me out.

Edited to clarify this is 100% sarcasm

Last edited:
I think that a lot of who you are and what you become is heavily influenced by who you grow up around. I grew up on a cattle ranch and from the age of 13 you went out and worked with the men. They taught you how to be and what to do as a man. The most coveted thing for us teenagers was to be respected buy those guys, if you gave it, you got it.
I think that a defining moment in my life was when I was about 10 or so and my Dad took me to meet a friend of a friend named Derrick Dunn, he was a professional hunter in Africa in the 1960s talk about a big moment for an already hunt crazy kid!

I’m 62, had absolutely no relationship with my alcoholic father prior to my parents divorce in 5th grade. My mom remarried, he was a logger, self-employed, hard as nails, second oldest boy of 13 from Chelan WA, only had an 8th grade education because he had to work the farm/ranch and still could do math in his head faster than most could use a calculator. Taught me all about life and what it means to be reliable, dependable, and honorable. Though I’ve missed that man everyday since his passing nearly 20 years ago there is a part of me thankful that he hasn’t had to see what this world has turned into. He’d see what he to took to be the standard for a man almost a thing of the past. Sad really but what else can be said.

My daughter; 24, has dated some modern turds after high school in college, boys I had nothing in common w n figured she would have to defend them if they got in trouble. She’s been w a guy now for 3 years who doesn’t have a college degree, is a welder n metal fabricator, the only thing that bothers her about him is he fishes too much; if there is such a thing, he’s a great young man n glad she’s met him. So there are some still out there for our daughters

I have similar conversations with some of the younger folks I work with at Scheels and some of my kids 20 something year old friends. My parents divorce (I was 8) left me with a mean, demeaning step father until I was 14 when my mom finally got rid of him.....right before we found out she had terminal cancer. I have a great uncle (her brother) that I was around some (VN vet and no BS guy due to my Grandpa) and my mom's dad who was hard as woodpecker lips but still caring I wish I could have had a lot more time with. When my mom passed I went to live with my Dad and the despicable dumpster fire he was married to at that point. From all three of those men the one thing I got was a work ethic....both by watching them and by being expected to do whatever was needed, period. Most of the other "manly" influences for me came from being in team sports and having some great coaches over the years. Later, having good mentors in the military kind of rounded it out. A couple of big things I learned and think are lacking totally now are:

1) Do what you are supposed/need to do, without fail. Being a man means there is a LOT of stuff that is unpleasant, hard, uncomfortable that you simply HAVE to do and complaining won't make it any easier.

2) You shouldn't be paying people to do stuff for you that you CAN do. Part of this was being dirt ass poor, and part was simply the pride. A lot of stuff in reality is not as hard as it seems. For me the only line in the sand is electric....I know my limits ;)

3) Sometimes violence IS the answer and you should be prepared execute it both for your own safety and that of those you care about. The "violence is never the answer" crowd and the anonymity of the inter webs has led to a whole subculture of folks just BEGGING for a strong whipping to adjust their attitude and actions.

4) Being a man in the end has a lot to do with sacrifice....for your family.....for your community......for your country......for the greater good.

Why is it always the public school's fault and not the parent's fault?

Signed...a curious teacher
Bravo!!
...coming from.the husband of a public school teacher who works her ass off to try and better the future of kids and gets little appreciation from cretins who can't wipe their ass cuz they got their head stuck up there..

This sounds like an interesting listen, I’ll check it out. I had an intern working with me for a month this summer who was planning to eventually go to work as a biologist… if he makes it we’re all in real trouble. I’ve never seen a person more unprepared for life. His parents owe him an apology for raising him as soft as they did, when I had him drive my F250 he was acting about like I was asking him to go 8 seconds on the back of Red Rock. I just can’t fathom a 21 year old male being scared to drive a truck…

I was driving back from Chinook MT today on 66 and passed a couple in a Subaru pulled over with a flat. The gal looked about ready to pop, 8-9 months probably. dude was in His 20’s, thin frail and pale standing half in the lane on his phone, someone not paying attention might of run him over, he appeared frustrated. Laughable, no service in that part of the world. Res cop in a blue f150 with his lights on was parked behind them. Stalky guy, could have been his vest, kneeling on the shoulder jacking up the car to change the tire presumably. My mind put the picture together pretty quickly. I just glanced over at the guy who works for me and we both chuckled and shook our heads, not a word was said but we new what each other were thinking.

This sounds like an interesting listen, I’ll check it out. I had an intern working with me for a month this summer who was planning to eventually go to work as a biologist… if he makes it we’re all in real trouble. I’ve never seen a person more unprepared for life. His parents owe him an apology for raising him as soft as they did, when I had him drive my F250 he was acting about like I was asking him to go 8 seconds on the back of Red Rock. I just can’t fathom a 21 year old male being scared to drive a truck…
To be fair I’ve ridden horses that beat me up less than some generations of Ford Super Duty’s…

Being tough and resourceful are great traits. The outdoors certainly have a way of fostering valuable skills and perspectives.

Also maybe some bad traits, like arrogance, and considering those who aren’t as capable as having less to offer. I’ve probably been guilty of that in my extended social circle at times. I’ve also been the guy who felt stupid because I didn’t know how to run a snowmachine or saddle a horse when all the people I was with did. You know “manly” stuff.

IME the guys who know just how everyone else ought to be are usually the most insecure of all. If that sounds like junior high, it’s because it is like junior high. Lots of great points above about honor, responsibility, and sacrificing for others as meaningful and timeless benchmarks.

Between 2000-2018 my hunting bud and I had a hunting lease on a ranch in FL.
We also worked together. We would take clients from our business out to camp and spend the weekend riding atvs , cooking out and hunting hogs. I was amazed at the lack of basic skills in many of the men we took out. Many simply never had been exposed to the outdoors or any experiences where they had the opportunity to learn or need to learn those skills. I always felt fortunate I grew up on a farm and in the outdoors.

Some of these posts also bring up great points about what IS NOT being passed along through the generations. I raised three daughters by myself since their preteens; each of them has thanked me over the years for teaching them such simple things as checking their oil, changing a tire, putting on chains, hell even running a checkbook (all you debit card folks feel free to roll your eyes lol). The middle one texted me last night with a simple question, she was changing the GFCI in their travel trailer while her beau (great kid though) watched and learned!

And hats off to the teachers out there, I have MANY friends in that profession and most are paid dink, under supplied and under appreciated, and in many cases are forced to role out a curriculum that they don’t even believe in. One friend says much of the problem lies in administration that no longer was worked up through the ranks (teachers first) but yet have come in as “professional principals” that don’t know shit about students…. And parents? You had em’, try to raise them a bit YOURSELVES before passing the buck to others!
Sorry to derail OP, just some thoughts from an old fart.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back