Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

BBD! Utah Muzzleloader Manti Unit

JesseSr

Our adventure began in May/June when the DWR results began hitting the debit cards. My son, Logan, had enough points to draw a limited entry muzzleloader bull tag and we were hoping this was the year. You can imagine our excitement when his debit card was hit for the price of the bull tag. There was a lot of hooting and hollering going on!

There's a bit of a backstory with this tag and this unit. I drew an archery tag in 2010 and harvested a nice 6 point bull. My wife drew the muzzle loader tag in 2016 and shot her bull at 5 yards! My father-in-law drew the late season tag in 2015 right after he had a terrible car accident. With the help of family and friends and a long range shooting .338, he was able to harvest a nice bull. On each of these hunts, the squad would show up after the bull was down, help cape the bull, and carry the meat back to the ATV's. You guys know how hunting elk can be...sometimes, they like to hide in those areas without trails :).

In the spring of 2017, my father-in-law passed away from a heart attack. He was young, and my wife was devastated. Then to add more to the pile, Logan cut his right hand off at work while operating heavy equipment. The doctors were unable to re-attach the hand, so Logan has his thumb (it moves a fraction of an inch) and a stump where the palm of his hand used to be. It was a hard recovery for the entire family, and really hard on Logan. He's been mostly deaf his entire life and now felt like his life was going to be even harder. Through it all, my wife has remained steadfast, and upbeat - which is saying a lot.

This brings us to present day. Logan had never hunted with a muzzleloader. So the first thing we did was research muzzleloaders. We both bought CVA Accurra brand muzzleloaders and began working up a load that would fly straight and consistent. Logan had to learn to load a muzzleloader with one hand. We shot a bunch and worked up a load that we were confident with out to 200 yards. I have a son who is a member of the US Navy, and is stationed across the country. He scheduled his leave to come help his brother hunt.

We pulled the camp house up on the mountain and got camp set up a few days before the hunt. I took my 13 year old with me and we walked into an area that usually holds elk. The elk were in there and the bugles were insane! We snuck within 100 yards of a bull and my 13 year old bugled at him. The bull fired back with some chuckles and started walking toward us. He was a nice 6 point bull. We watched as the elk stopped about 80 yards away and looked for us. He couldn't see us, so eventually he lost interest and walked back the way he came. It was so cool!

Logan arrived in camp the next evening. Logan has been with us on a few elk hunts, but doesn't know the unit like I do. I grew up in the area, and archery hunt the heck out of it. The unit has good access and a lot of ATV trails. It's very popular with campers and hunters because of the good access and scenery. It's beautiful up there.

I took Logan to a lookout and we got set up to glass for bulls. I could hear the elk below us and they were bugling like crazy. I asked Logan if he could hear them and he said he couldn't. I asked if he'd brought his hearing aids (which he hates wearing) and he said he hadn't. We sat and glassed elk for about 2 hours. We saw a 8x7 that had a crazy 3rd that we estimated was more than 20 inches long. This bull was rutting hard and chasing smaller bulls away from a hot cow. He was very active and Logan said he'd like to kill that bull. We also saw a bull that I estimated would score between 360 and 370. This bull was chasing cows too, but he wouldn't leave the trees. We got a few photos of him and the 8x7 before slipping off the ridge and heading back to camp.

Following! What a tough year for your family but I'm guessing this chapter will end with a smile :)

Opening morning found Logan and I sneaking down the trail looking for the 8x7. My brother in law was on the opposite ridge and let us know the 8x7 was in the deadfall where we'd left him the night before. Logan and I snuck as close as we dared and cow called softly. I could hear the elk bugling and knew we were two ridges away from him. Logan was convinced that we'd walked in far enough and the elk were right above us. Did I mention that he can't hear? Anyway, we spent the opening morning a few ridges north of where we should have been and didn't see any elk.

That afternoon, my wife went hunting with Logan and I glassed from the opposite ridge. I soon picked out the bull that Logan was after and they were after him. My wife and Logan bumped a smaller bull, but never saw the bull they were after. They were one ridge short. Logan got back to camp that evening and excitedly told me that he and my wife had found a good trail on the way out that led them close to the deadfall. Logan also said he'd found a huge bull in the bottom of another canyon. The next morning, I took Logan to an area that was nearby where he'd seen the big bull. We'd stopped on a few lookouts and bugled to locate the elk. The elk sounded like they were in the bottoms of the finger's and canyons so we weren't in too much of a hurry to get over the top of them because of the morning thermals. I stupidly let Logan drive the machine near where we were going to hunt.

The light was gray and we couldn't see. I pointed to where I wanted Logan to park the machine. He pulled in and stopped. As soon as he shut the machine off, the elk were bugling and crashing all around us. We'd rode right into a herd and it was too dark to see! Stupid, stupid, stupid, I know. We got out of the machine and waited for it to get light enough to see. I could hear the elk moving up onto a bench that I'd bow hunted before. It's thick in there and elk can usually be found bedded on the bench. We went up a few fingers but didn't go onto the bench after them. We talked about leaving them there tonight and slipping back in later to wait for them to leave the bedding area.

My 13 year old and I could hear bugles across the canyon so we took Logan to look at those bulls. We soon located 3 bulls. Two small 6 points (roughly 300 yards away) and a really nice 6 point that was about 600 yards away. Logan said one of the smaller 6 points was good enough and started sneaking into range. A helicopter came flying over and the elk freaked. The bulls went crashing into the dark timber where we couldn't see them. We sat and waited for an hour, but they never re-appeared. It's a rare thing to have a helicopter fly in this canyon and we supposed that someone might been hurt and the helicopter was getting them off the mountian. We said a quick prayer that if that was the case, the injured person would be okay.

We went back to camp to find my son from the Navy was there. After some hugs and some teasing, we got down to business. Logan and Jay (Navy son) have always got along well. There is some sibling rivalry, but it's in love. They decided to hunt together. They soon left camp and I went to the gassing point to look for bulls. My wife stayed in camp to make dutch oven potatoes for supper. Oh man, we love dutch oven potatoes. Those two boys got into the elk that night. They snuck within 50 yards of a 5 point bull. Logan passed the smaller bull because he wanted something a bit bigger. When we got back to camp, my wife was all riled up. I mean, she was mad. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I hadn't seen her this riled up in a long time. She told me that Logan's dog had knocked over the dutch oven and spilled ashes into the potatoes. The dog had stolen a piece of bacon and ran away from her when she hollered at him. The dog was cabled to a quacking aspen tree and he looked miserable. I pictured my little wife hollering at that dog and it made me laugh. I laughed until my sides hurt. My wife was not amused. So, our dutch oven potatoes had some natural wood flavoring that night. They were still dang good!

The next morning, those two boys were off and at it again. My wife had to run to town to do some errands so I stayed in camp, cleaned and made breakfast. When Logan and Jay got back they told me about an elk encounter they'd had with a smaller bull and a big mature bull. They'd snuck to the deadfall clearing, started cow calling and bugling. Soon, a bull fired off back and started coming in. Logan and Jay said the bull that fired off first caused a second bull to fire off and soon they were both coming into their calls. The first bull walked beneath them at 75 yards. He wasn't what they were looking for, so they decided to wait for the second bull to make an appearance. They said the second bull sounded bigger. As the second bull got closer and closer to them, they heard a muzzle loader shot, then a second shot about a minute later. They found out the second bull was a beautiful 7 point bull with great main beams when they ran into the other hunter on the way out. The other hunter made a great shot and harvested a beautiful bull. Congrats to him!

That evening, Logan, me and his little brother snuck into the deadfall clearing. We weren't there long when a bull started bugling below us. We snuck around the clearing to try to see the bull that was making the fuss. He was in some thick pines and we couldn't see him. We saw a cow, a spike, and a small six point bull walking into the pines and we heard the other bull start moving uphill. We were close enought that Logan could hear the bugles. His eyes were so big! Several times, Logan aimed at a small bull but his finger never moved toward the trigger. I could see he wanted to shoot a bull, but he was being patient. He wanted a nice bull really bad. It was getting dark and I could hear a bull about 200 yards away bugling. The bull had moved into the deadfall flat but we couldn't see him because of the way the hill rolled. I sent Logan down to look at him and me and his brother circled uphill. Using my binoculars, I picked out some antlers. That bull has an extra main beam I thought to myself as I glassed him. I realized that was the 8x7 that was Logan's #1 bull, and that he was sneaking up on it. Oh man, I was super excited. Light was fading fast and I wasn't sure Logan was going to get there in time. Logan got to the top of the hill and I could see him looking through his scope at the bull. Did I mention it's thick in there? I mean, it's like trying to sneak through pick up sticks and there's little aspen trees everywhere. It got dark and Logan called to me. I had the flashlight and snuck down to him. What happened, I asked? He said it had got too dark and he wasn't sure. It was a long hike out to the ATV after I told him that was his #1 bull. He was pretty down.

The next morning, Logan went into the deadfall again. The bulls were bugling and as he crested the ridge to look into the deadfall, there stood a bull. The bull had his head down feeding and was 75 yards away. Logan used a down tree as a dead rest and looked the bull over. Good fronts - check, good 3rds - check, top end - not bad. Good enough, he thought. He eased the hammer back and shot at the bull. Logan said he stayed on the scope and saw the bullet impact ripple the bull's hide. The bull walked away over the ridge out of sight. Logan said he waited an hour and looked for blood. There was none. He walked to where he'd last seen the bull, and found him dead just over the roll of the hill.

We assembled the squad and went to get the bull out before it got too hot. After taking pics of the bull, we caped him, took the meat and began the hike back out. While hiking out, I realized we'd walked this same trail when my wife had killed her bull 3 years before. Her father had come to help us pack her bull out and the memory of her and him carrying her bull's antlers out brought out the emotions in me. I still can't believe he's gone. I pulled Logan aside and told him the entire story. He got a bit emotional too. Man, the memories those hills have for this family....That's what hunting is really about. The memories that we make with our families. My kids will remember this hunt forever, and maybe when I'm gone, their kids will have a chance to harvest a bull elk near that same area. And maybe, they'll remember their father being there to help them pack their bull out. For those who care, this bull green scored 351 at the taxidermist. Personally, the memory of the hunt was more important to me than the score of this bull's antlers.

Anyway, here's some pics.

Attachments

• Logan's bull.jpg
    Logan's bull.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 263
  • 20190926_145031.jpg
    20190926_145031.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 255
  • 20190926_152018.jpg
    20190926_152018.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 247
  • 20190926_134037.jpg
    20190926_134037.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 234
Congratulations! What a great family outing and a great bull to top it all off. I'm guessing that area will remain a family favorite for generations to come.

Great hunt! Those are some neat memories. Congrats to all!

Great stuff, and even better when the whole family gets in on the action. Congratulations

Great story and bull! Good family memories it sounds like- past and present...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back